Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDermott is to sue Twitter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So you know for a fact that he didn’t start texting her until she was legal??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

It is if it’s to groom them for sex when they are older

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Well the Gardai obviously thought that wasn't the case.

I'd imagine they'd know more than you.

Case closed. Bye.

When did the Gardai investigate anything?? Was it even reported to the Gardai??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They don't need to groom them for sex when they're older, they can pursue sex with them now and if both parties consent then there is nothing more to be said.

I don't know how long it takes to get through to some folk on this thread that, in Ireland, 17. Is. The. Age. Of. Consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 felotommobiy

Hi lads, 

I have been following this case since the twitter allegations first came out last February. I think a bit of ironing out is necessary to make you understand that it's not a matter of this thread just having emotional responses or rage at his hypocrisy as is being suggested here. 

Objectively speaking it's reasonable to be annoyed that he is being given a platform again, given how severe the accusations were (are). Personally, I am a bit suprised that the man wishes to continue to pursue a career in the spotlight, the whispers will follow him. Surely being an Irish speaker he could do something else, but then again not sure I'd recommend him to school girls for grinds🙄

Please, take another look at the letter he released from the girl's solicitor.

To break it down for you, the man got off on a technicality. Yes, he released a letter from the girl's solicitor earlier this year disclosing that there were a number of falsities in her original tweets, including her age at the time. I am not disputing that this is incredibly unfortunate and would make the accuser appear less credible. Believe me, I would be the first to defend any man who has been proven to have been victim of malicious fictitious agendas but imo this is not how it was in this case.

We can be certain it wasn't just some plot by a random hater of Eoghan's, pretending to be who they claimed to be. Eoghan confirmed that this was indeed written by someone who he deemed was in a 'relationship' with him back in 2010. Therefore, we can believe beyond a reasonable doubt that there has to be elements of truth for this woman to come out of the blue 10 years on and write a detailed, very specific and deeply emotional post. 

Many here are writing off this woman's experience completely, and perhaps you are correct. Maybe this woman is unstable, perhaps suffers from schizophrenia, sees hallucinations and has a completely untrue recollection of events. It's unlikely but possible. 

Now as others here have attempted to explain, the solicitor's letter he issued is a revelation in itself. 

The accuser admits to a number falsehoods and refers to specifics such as her age, his drug use, as well as her sharing tweets of unproven sexual misconduct tweets from third parties. 

So what's the issue here? Well the original post incriminated Eoghan of two sexual crimes, oral rape and statutory rape (if girl was underage). She has since confirmed she was above age of consent when they met and engaged in a physical relationship but thankfully, most people in law as well as decent people can see the massive elephant in the room. The letter did not refute the oral rape, being the most awful accusation brought against him. It's actual words were 'our client accepts that Mr. McDermott fundamentally disputes our client's version of events of what occurred between them during the course of their relationship.' This means the accuser accepts they each have different outlook of events as to what occurred between them, essentially making it a she said he said situation.

If you want a refresher as to what her's were: 

(I had a link to her reddit post here but they won't let me post links, so look up yourself)

Absolutely horrific. What sort of evil bastard would sulk when a girl doesn't want to get intimate with him, not least with a teenager - her solicitor's letter was so carefully written and didn't refer to her as an adult, only above the age of consent so 17 when in a physical relationship. Therefore, it's safe to say they were in non physical contact when she was 16 and that part was true. 

Someone else here said it, the only reason why any man in his mid to late twenties would be in pursuit of a teenager is for one reason only, sex. Who is better to manipulate than a teenager who was a self confessed virgin? The issue of legality vs morality keeps coming up here, so let's set the record straight. Eoghan did not physically engage with an underage girl, therefore isn't guilty of statutory rape. However, since there is no explicit retraction of the most severe crime described in the original reddit post, it seems that ultimately it came down to a she said he said situation. 

I do not know what happened between them over the past year but in the end she decided not to go through the courts, and agreed to grant Eoghan this letter of retractions. I don't know if it was settled between both parties where she was paid off by Eoghan to not bring it any further or if she felt he has already got what he deserved. They may have reached an agreement similar to what Philip Schofield has managed to do with his teenage gay lover and the papers. 

What I do know is that him not naming her is as much a favour to himself as it is her. Can you imagine the media's questions to her and what she could say? Recalling that he picked her up in a taxi, took her out for drinks and asked her how many guys she had slept with... not a good look for a man in his position. 

Remember how there wasn't a date on the letter Eoghan released. My guess is he kept moving the goalposts as to what the letter would contain, to make him come out of this looking as good as is possible. Eventually he settled with what he was provided with and issued it when there was other controversy with the 2 Johnny's. 

Fact of the matter is, there is more than meets the eye in this case. He wouldn't be a guy I would defend like some of you are. Do I think the man deserves a hate mob? No. Do I think he deserves to be given a platform on Love Island whose main viewers are teenagers and young adults? Absolutely not.

This man is far from somebody who should be idolised in the public eye and love island Aus is disgraceful for employing him again. If this situation was different and he was innocent then I would be delighted to see him get his jobs back. It was a technicality and I think i did a good way of explaining this.

If the victim comes across this message, I would like to say I am so sorry for what happened to you and the trauma it has left you with. You were the innocent party in this case, groomers running after teenagers are sick. <snip>

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

…^^^^^ Interesting first post -have to say it’s similar to how I view the situation in that the legal statement is not something I would ever commit to if I found myself at the end of such an allegation- I’d want a much more definitive legal statement considering the damage it had done to me

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Just to be clear, you think her being above the age of consent is a “technicality”? Surely it is an absolute in the context of her allegation, and the fact that she confirmed she lied about a number of the accusations made elevates this from getting off on a “technicality” to, there is no legal case to answer, and should never have been.

No one will argue that a 27 yr old having a sexual relationship with a 17 yr old isnt morally dubious, but that was not the allegation she so publicly made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You started out being quite objective but things then headed south. It's clear you are anything but objective here. You clearly view McDermott as being guilty of something based on an allegation by someone who admits telling lies.

I do agree that just because she told lies that it doesn't mean that everything else she said was a lie. She may be telling the truth but all we have to go on is an accusation that was half retracted.

You clearly view McDermott guilty of oral rape by saying that Love Island Aus is disgraceful by employing him. He hasn't been charged with anything let alone convicted. You'd deny a livelihood to someone based on an accusation that may or may not be true.........and given the lies already admitted to.....many would lean on the not true side of the argument. Me......I'm still on the fence because I just don't know.

He may well be guilty or he may well be innocent. We dont' know for sure and you don't know for sure although you seem to think you do.

• Advertisement

Personally I think the wording of the legal statement issued was not a wise thing to commit to - my view - the allegation should never have been published by the woman in the first place obviously - if she felt such events happened as described, the Gardai were the obvious port of call ; but if you’re going to pursue such an allegation through a legal means to save your good name, the final legal statement should have been more comprehensive - if it was me I certainly wouldn’t be happy committing to that legal statement, especially after the impact on my personal life no less career

I think we are both on the same page. If I was McDermott and I was innocent, I would have wanted the entirety of the allegations withdrawn, and not just some of them.

In fairness he still is “innocent”, just as the law says he is, in case anyone thinks I’m saying something different; I’m not- but no one , no matter what we think of the person, should be subjected to trial by social media - that’s why the whole thing should have been retracted by the so called accuser - the fact that you’re “ on the fence” just shows how wrong that legal statement is- I’m not blaming you for thinking that way - it’s the fault of the unjust original Twitter or Reddit claim posted to the world and the subsequent legal retraction that obviously still doesn’t close the door on this horrible chapter

My post in full gives context of the technicality I was referring to and my first paragraph literally states this isn't a matter of over emotional responses, but is an objective outlook.

It's not that he got away with a technicality of the statutory rape. You are correct in saying this is an absolute.

But as I have already said, the most awful accusation being the oral rape was disturbingly never retracted. Instead the accuser confirms they each have different versions of events during their relationship. The average person reading the headlines will probably view see Eoghan as a some poor victim who was wronged with false accusations. However, when you examine it further, the letter states 'a series of falsehoods' and lists the specifics she retracts. It doesn't make any retraction to him shoving his cock in her mouth or him being a **** abusive control freak egomaniac of a groomer.

Now for me, if I was accused of such an awful thing you can be sure that this would be the first and foremost accusation I would want explicitly retracted. Also, the man waited a full blown year with everyone around him whispering. I couldn't do that, and I know he was probably advised not to by his team but I bet there was some serious intimidation going on from Eoghan's side during this time.

I am glad this girl's lawyer wrote this letter in the way they did. It's very obvious to people in law. It was actually somebody in law who explained this to me and made me aware of this when he first posted the letter this year.

So to summarise, what probably happened was she had turned 17 whenever they met in person. My guess is that he was chatting to her aged 16, but this isn't a crime and maybe the girl didn't want to put herself through the courts when it comes down to a she said he said scenario. I don't remember memories from when I was definitely 16 or definitely 17, it's easy to merge them together, maybe she she believed 17 was underage. So just because she got this part wrong, doesn't mean all of what she detailed was false, she wrote a lot in that reddit post.

I am presuming you will shoot down this girl's credibility due to her letter but that letter was carefully written. In regards to the specifics retracted, there is literally proof that Eoghan has garda in his family:

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/entertainment/tv-radio/if-things-go-wrong-with-tv-career-ill-be-a-teacher-says-tvs-eoghan-mcdermott-31139425.html

There was another Twitter accusation of sexual misconduct from a legitimate account, screenshots can be found. I went onto this girl's account and she is real but obviously I'm not going to name her.

Again, I've already said it's not a matter of me finding what be did morally dubious. It's what has been said and not said in that letter, it's not good enough and clarity should be provided if you are going to give a potential criminal a platform to millions of young people.

Him presenting love island is an absolute disgrace. This situation reminds me so much of Philip Schofield saga.

You are calling her specific retractions lies but they can just as easily be viewed as inaccuracies, her own opinions or lack of judgements. I don't think they can be proven to have been malicious lies.

She was perhaps unaware that underage sex is under 17 and not 18, it could have been a genuine mistake and it just so happened she had turned 17 when they were physical. Maybe she just made a genuine mistake and was off by a few months when they got together, or maybe it was an intentional lie. I admit, we don't know for certain. IMO, she wouldn't have referred to being a leaving cert student at the time and collected from school to the pub by him if it weren't true, like that's oddly specific and incriminating. So it's interesting how he didn't make her retract all these other incredibly disturbing accusations, I wonder why 🤔

The other 'lies' include his drug use (and I have seen questionable videos of Eoghan being interviewed) so tbf it's hard to prove he used drugs or not. Maybe she did embellish this, but we don't know for certain. Same goes for the accusation from another real life girl on Twitter, she can't prove or disprove these series of events from happening. This particular tweet was very sinister and I believe it to be true, she even said it with her real name!

The other 'lie' was the garda in his family helping him get away with it. But I've already linked where he admits there are indeed lots of garda in his family. Also if this happened it would be hard for her to prove, because it's her word against the garda.

You are being fair here in saying we do not know for sure, so let's say we give Eoghan the benefit of the doubt. I still view Love Island oz as disgraceful.

Blockbuster movies, TV series or sports labels disassociate themselves from anybody that could bring undesired attention to their brand, even over comments. It's questionable how he is let off when there are still unanswered questions of disturbing nature.

As you've said yourself, it was a letter with accusations half retracted, except the most important and incriminating one!

I'll reiterate, most people will see headlines on Eoghan's perceived innocence but I thinks it's undeniable that there's unanswered questions regarding a SEXUAL CRIME. I think this is the bottom line here.

Say for instance he is entirely innocent and Love island were going to employ him again. I would expect more concrete retractions of the WHOLE reddit post, but we did not get this and that speaks for itself !

That letter was anything but an admission of Eoghan's innocence, and I agree I would demand a much more comprehensive concrete refuting of accusations. He shouldn't be accepted by the media, would you all be as welcoming to the likes of Kevin spacey or Al porter with no full retraction of all accusations?

If you look up the name Elanor Bingley, it's a character from a book who gets revenge, she had a rage that drove this and I don't blame her for this rage.

Regardless of her rage, Twitter or Reddit is not the place - a commercial tv programme relies on advertising backing and fans- obviously that programme doesn’t see an issue- I don’t watch the programme; I don’t like Eoghan as a presenter or dj or whatever he is- so I’ll never watch him regardless of what he has or hasn’t done;

I personally wouldn’t invest in him as a TV financial backer if I owned a company involved in such transactions but that’s me- obviously others disagree

The most “awful accusation” was he statutory rape of an underage girl, which was false, not on a technicality, on a fact.

She still has the option of legally going forward with the criminal allegation of oral rape, has she?

You seriously think statutory rape is more awful than violent oral rape?? Have you heard yourself? 😒

It's like you weren't listening and only hear what you want to hear. I've already confirmed it is fact and not technicality it wasn't statutory rape, so yes you are correct well done 👏 but this was only one of the two incriminating sexual crimes against him in the original reddit post.

The oral rape appears to have come down to a she said he said situation, which is hard to prove in court as well as emotionally draining. So they seem to have come to a legal agreement where she has agreed to not take this case any further, I am unsure if finances are involved but I assume so.

So no, she won't be bringing this to the police. This slimeball egomaniac succeeded in getting a legal deal with her.

Anyways, this website definitely has a proportion of creeps on it, and I'm not saying this about you but the general attitude is to defend this creep and write off everything this girl said. Normally, I would agree with proven liars but her letter wasn't a full retraction and that speaks volumes!

Tattle has more people against nonces so I'm out goodbye 👋

You don’t think the rape of someone under the age of consent is marginally worse? Statutory rape recognises that even if consensual, it is likely to be a criminal offence as a result of the age of one of the people involved, for good reason.

Again, there is nothing to prevent this lady going forward with the accusation of oral rape by reporting it to the Gardai, has she? It may well be hard to prove, not merely because she told outright lies about the other allegations.

No one disputes his behaviour is creepy, but she didn’t just accuse him of a moral wrong, she accused him of statutory rape, along with other false allegations. They remain unproven and until such time as they are, he joins the long list of people smeared in public by accusers who have no proof of criminal behaviour. Sorry if that doesn’t suit your agenda.

No I don't.

Oral rape is universally bad, there's no if's or but's there is no grey area it is a violent criminal violation of somebody.

Statutory rape is a crime that is to protect those underage from predator creeps like this guy. It is a terrible crime the vast majority of time but unlike oral rape there can possibly be a grey area if whereby it isn't seen as severe in certain situations, if given both parties are close in age. This is why romeo and Juliet laws exist

There's no agenda here, I'm curious as to who exactly these long list of wronged people smeared are? Or are you saying most accusers just do it for the craic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I don’t see where the poster alluded that “most” accusers make these things up.

Unfortunately, this woman has lost all credibility by circulating multiple claims which were obviously untrue. It’s badly surprising that people now question her whole testimony. She only has herself to thank for that.

If only there was a resource where you could look up false allegations and defamation in Ireland. First page has a couple of accusers jailed for making false allegations in Ireland, this year.

Again, for the umpteenth time, this lady has the option to go to the Gardai and make a complaint of oral rape, why didn’t/hasn’t she? Instead she decided to publish the mostly false accusations online.

An example of this, felotommobiy, I decide I don’t like you so I post allegations online anonymously that you have been accused of a sexual offence against a minor. You are an easy mark, known to a lot of people, and I know the effect on you would be utterly devastating, your job is gone, your marriage is gone, your friends stop calling and they don’t want you anywhere near their children. Now I don’t know McDermott, and as I don’t listen to 2FM nor watch reality TV, I had never heard of him until I started to read about the accusations in the news and on boards, but I do think that people who make false allegations online should be held to account. They have chosen to skip the judicial process, but should still be called on to prove the allegation. In this case, the lady was found to have lied on what was the most easily proven allegation, her age when she had a sexual relationship with the accused. So while we all agree it was morally questionable for a 27 yr old to have a relationship with a 17 yr old, she did not accuse him of a moral wrong, she accused him of criminal wrong, now it is up to her to substantiate her allegations. If she can’t, then he should be free to get on with his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Funny how when a white person is accused of such actions, people are more than willing to look the other way...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Only one accusation was really cleared up though. That was the age part. And rightfully so as the implications would have been devastating.

If you have never listened to him then that is part of the issue with you failing to understand why he is more than likely finished in Ireland. His actions were everything he screamed blue murder about and wanted people canceled for. He actively tried to have the lyrics of fairy tale of NY changed. he was the poster boy for the me too movement. He didn't do anything illegal at all. But he put himself up on a moral high horse and the fall was devastating for his career.

I wish the guy the very best of luck in the future but I do feel he will have to clarify all of the questions that people are asking on this thread to recover fully.

As for the girl it's shameful really and scary that things like that can happen. From reading the statement both parties agreed on it looks as if it was a horrific mistake on her part and Eoghan seems to have accepted that.

Has she made a complaint to the Gardai about the other allegations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I wouldn't be privy to that as you know.

Has Eoghan made a complaint or is he pursuing this woman through the courts with his allegations or other parts of the story he would like retracted?

So for all you or anyone else knows, these are just unsubstantiated accusations from a person who has admitted to making false allegations. Had she made those accusations to the Gardai, she risked being prosecuted herself for making a false complaint (see recent cases where people who made false complaints to the Gardai of sexual assault have been prosecuted). She would not have had much of a defence on the accusation related to age. If she had told the truth, this would be a very different situation, and conversation.

I suspect his PR company, and Solicitors have advised him to let it go, there is no benefit to dragging a defamation claim out through the Courts, especially seen as his career has now resumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

• Advertisement

You are trying to introduce a racism angle where there is none........so I stand by my original comment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement