Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window and door frames seem very cold

Options
  • 06-11-2022 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I live in a house built in 2000, it has double glaze windows and doors. For some reason the frames are always very cold, the house is well insulated, the double glaze glass is doing its job but the frames themselves would often have condensate on them if it was very cold outside.

I am thinking of upgrading but I'm not sure if upgrading will make any difference, has the standard of Windows and doors improved much from 22 years ago?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Do you have any ideas as to what is causing the surface Condensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Idk, maybe it could be a lack of ventilation in some of the rooms. I know the vents in the bedrooms were blocked up with insulation when we first moved in. I took the insulation out but then there was a draught through the vents on the rooms facing west so I put the insulation back in.

The house is warm, the walls and floor feels warm but if you go close up to the window frame you can feel the cold from them

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Steam - (Insulation + Ventilation) = Condensation.

The steam above is caused my many items in the house.

1. People breathing
    2. steam from cooking
    3. drying clothes on radiators
    4. steam from showers
    5. steam from Tumble Dryer noe exhausted externally.
    6. steam from washing clothes with warm water.
    7. etc.

Steam from Showers / baths and Cooking must be extracted immediately

Ventilation is very important to prevent condensation

Insulation is very important to reduce the heat loss from the house.

In an uninsulated cavity block external walls - the heat in the house will be lost rapidly when the heating source is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

Condensation is fairly common on older type aluminium windows as they have no thermal break. I’m presuming that’s what these are.

Newer type windows nearly all have a form of thermal break in one way or another so this problem isn’t as prevalent. Some even have an insulated frame .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

The older windows often sit on the outer leaf. Now they recommend that the frames site over the cavity. There are great pics online showing this. I would not recommend moving a window as a DIY but it is possible to lift a window board and increase the thermal breaks. If the reveal has drywall, this is even easier. I guess you have half block reveals wet plastered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I think it's down to the material in the frame. I looked at the windows and the frame is made from pvc which doesn't seem too bad wrt the coldness. The back and front doors have metal frames and much colder. I have a double french door at the back facing the west and it's like having a big cold plate. I think it's losing a lot of heat at them points.

I also noticed a slight draught on some of the windows, its like as if the rubbers are gone bad or else the windows are not closing properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I am not sure about 2000 era double glaze but some old double glaze is twice as bad as modern. In all windows, the frame is the weak spot, even in triple glaze. But as I said, there is a lot more than just the window. You need to consider the reveals. Also check of draughts under the window board. Some windows sit on a sort of metal strip. I found these can be much colder than the true frame. Recently reduced the impact of one using a sticky backed foam.

Advertisement