Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I don't mind the Beach Boys and I can even tolerate Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer, but please please please not that Dolly Parton Mixture!

Edit: Not too keen on Rocking Around the Christmas Tree either!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Saw this thread while procrastinating study for my exam later on today, and just had to ask my Google Home to play Christmas FM

Fairy tale of New York is on, first Christmas song of the year for me. Instant happiness and excitement 😁 Makes me want to put up the Christmas tree!

I have had a love/hate relationship with that song over a number of years. I think I am just fed up of the tune now, even though I recognise how clever and original the lyrics are and the talented musicanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Oh definitely, it's very overplayed on every radio station in the country during Christmas!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I still love it, when the chorus kicks in it still raises the hairs on the back of my neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I had the same years ago when I left Ireland, nearly 14 years now. I think it made me too homesick.

So I would refuse to listen to it, turn it off etc, and generally avoid it. The only time I would play it would be in the years when I flew home, and only after the pilot said that we were beginning our landing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I love it. But, I refuse to listen to it outside the month of December, or at least not before the FM launch of Christmas FM, otherwise I suspect my enjoyment of it may be diluted & I wont risk that.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Similar, I have a couple of songs that I like too much to listen to them too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I absolutely abhor Grandma got run over. Just cr*p. It is even awkward to listen to with kids, with the whole 'you can say there's no such thing as santa' lyric.

Also, and it may be sacrilege on this forum, but I change the station when fairy tale of NY comes on 😀

I just don't feel as strong about Grandma etc. but I get your point. It is not sacrilege at all to say you abhor FTNY on this or any thread. I don't exactly abhor it, but I have grown tired of it!

I'm also fed up of I Wish It Could be Christmas Every Day and Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody! I do abhor In Tua Nua's version of Merry Christmas Everybody - it actually make's me appreciate the original version! I also abhor Shakin' Stevens' Merry Christmas Everyone and Cliff Richard's Mistletoe and Wine! Ironically, I don't mind too much Cliff Richard's other big Christmas number Saviour's Day - at least I can tolerate it anyway! There is a song I heard by Cliff on one of those Top of the Pops repeats that I would not mind hearing on Christmas FM and I don't think it was ever played on the station: We Should Be Together.

• Advertisement

WFH today & just closing out a few bits after a day of teams calls, so decided to stick on Christmas FM (main channel, not classics) and there's some weird cutting in & out of songs going on... definitely a technical glitch of sorts, that or its the oddest megamix of all time!!

All obscure enough bits so far.......& with that here comes Chris Rea on his road home for christmas!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

And next is the waitresses with my first hearing of 'Christmas wrapping' for the season. Last year that was played regularly before it went live on FM and I dont think I heard it once afterwards.

Great tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

An absolute classic. Should be played way more than it is. The brass section is class.

It was my favorite during my 20's. Still top 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

I was listening everyday since early Sept. They had the same play list on loop... Since Halloween its gr8 to have some DJ.s live. Love Mike Maloney.

Mike Maloney has been a regular with Christmas FM for a number of years. He was one of the first "big" names that got involved with Christmas FM. I am not sure if he was involved last year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

so played christmas fm at home wednesday night and got strange looks, grandma got run over by a reindeer was too much for folks.

Haven't really dipped in too much yet. Been a bit hectic hopefully next week will be a bit quieter and can listen in some more.

2 weeks today it all kicks off in earnest!

Any guesses for opening FM song? I'm gonna go with tradition & say Bing Crosby's 'Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas'

I'd be happy with that one.

Not too bothered with the Grandma one, but the hippo song kills me

• Advertisement

If I never heard Dolly's 'jolly Christmas' , grandma got run over by a reindeer, I want a hippopotamus for Christmas & Christmas shoes, my enjoyment of Christmas FM would be increased significantly!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Am I in the minority that I love I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas 🤔 I sing it so much around the house that the wife bought me a little toy hippo as a joke a few years ago 😂

Yea, I think they might go back 'traditional' this year.

There are a couple of songs I would have on my mute list as well. However, they keep playing them so assume majority must like them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

No, you are not the only one!!! I was introduced to this song two years ago and I love it!!!!

I had Christmas FM briefly this morning. I heard Sheryl Crow's cover of Run Rudolph Run. I would not mind hearing that again during its license run.

Dipped into Christmas FM regular this afternoon and this came up as second song.... no thanks! Instantly went back to classical & carols.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ah, I like the Hippo song- I think it's cute and the little girl singing it had a great voice for a child. The song was released in 1953; so it will be 70 years old next year! 😮

• Advertisement

I loved it for a bit after my kids sang it in a school Christmas choir, but there was one year it was played to death on Christmas FM and it wore thin for me. A couple of quiet years and I'm sure I'd go back to enjoying it.

Doubt I could ever say that of a few others though.

Advertisement