Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

This is turning in to pub talk.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

British operated concentration camps in India...yep...

The real legacy of British rule is barely taught in English schools and it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,685 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE never like the truth of food being exported out of the country v's being told a famine occured.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

De Pale

Hahahahaha.......gowon ya mad oul yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Philip, Philip, Philip, Philip. LOL.

This sort of talk gives me a bleedin' headache.

• Advertisement
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 68,980 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

From the horse's mouth, so to speak etc etc.

By donating to the Poppy Appeal you’re helping us provide ongoing vital support to the Armed Forces community, ensuring their unique contribution is never forgotten.

Royal British Legion | Armed Forces Charity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Can picture this lad boring the hole of people watching a war movie... "dats not roight..."

Which one...it could honestly be applied to a few of the people on this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

there is a bar man somewhere delighted this lad is on the radio, and not calling into the bar this afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭shearforce

once you hear someone say the words "my own degree is in history", you know you're going to struggle to stay awake.

Well I'll tell you something......I'm certainly far from proud finding out one of my mother's ancestors fought in de Boer War.

Quite de bleedin opposite.

And regardless of whether you think de poppy stands for just de Irish in WW1, unfortunately it's for everything and has been for a very long time and dat includes said ancestor poking a sharp stick through the fence at a Brit concentration camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Ah come back ger you're great craic

Yep you already told us you served in the British Army....multiple times...

But he claims he would fight for Ireland in a war...what if it was against England?!

I knew he was from the West Midlands, although hardly a surprise given the accent.

• The Great British Famine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Asking yourself easy questions bucko... why didnt you join the irish army?

Here caller........what about de Bengal Famine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

When I was young, I used to accompany my grandfather when he wore his service medals & poppy. It was one day a year. But we also sometimes visited other elderly Irish WW1 servicemen who were in poor circumstances, some missing legs and arms. These men got help from the legion in their older age. That's what the poppy is/ was about in Ireland, nothing to do with Afghanistan etc

He is doing his best to downplay the British role in the famine...of course he is...there would have been plenty of food if Ireland hadnt been forced to export it's harvest to England....

• Advertisement

'let people get on wearing the poppy if they want to'

a few minutes ago he was nearly crying over James McClean not wearing one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

This honestly just sounds like that busy-body in the office who claims they have had it much worse than some else "Oh I get much worse headaches/migraines than you!!"

lots of these west brits want you to forget all about the famine as it was so far in the past, but not WW1, as it was so recent ?!?!

When you think of the poppy you think of Flanders...but that isn't the reality of it sorry...you can convince yourself all you want but it isn't true...

Theyve been going around in circles for 15 minutes at least. Time to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Localised famines happened over there, too.

There was one in Ayrshire, where people doeyed and a lot of the same stuff that happened in Ireland went on, but aid was quicker in coming.

Funnily enough, we never got taught about that in school. Why, it's almost like famines never happened.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

M

De Spanish Flu was a proper pandemic you could set your watch to.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,980 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The poppy remembers all Britishmen and women who have died in conflict.

We remember those who lost their lives on active service in all conflicts; from the beginning of the First World War right up to the present day, as well as all those who have served and their families. 

Every year in November, we distribute our paper poppies to raise vital funds to help today's Armed Forces community. And it wouldn’t be possible without our incredible supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭Deeec

Im sick of listening to this. Wear a poppy if you want to or dont wear a poppy - same with the easter lily. Its just a symbol. Some people have little to think about.

This wan needs to stop talking about her family history.

• Advertisement

Jaysus.....dis storytopper wan is quite ignorant

Advertisement