Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Selling a 35% share of the club for 1.5 billion, massively recouping everything they've put into it and still having a controlling interest would be a masterstroke, and they still wouldn't have to put any money into the club....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,096 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Intriguing tie with Madrid.

Feb is a long way away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I see no talk of a sale, just shares. Someone is looking foolish.

I'm sure FSG will put it straight either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They are fishing for investment but would be open to a sale for the right offer. After seeing what Chelsea fetched it looks like a good time to sell, especially with the squad needing a big net investment.

I'd be sad to see FSG go, you'll be hard pressed to find cleaner owners and who ran the club so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,966 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

For what it's worth:

If the cost of "keeping up" with City and Newcastle is selling to a group that assassinates journalists then I'm content with not keeping up and I think it's frankly disgusting that anyone would be happy for that to happen as long as the guy wearing the t-shirt they like lifts a couple more trophies than usual.

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When the anfield road end is complete, is that all of the planned stadium works complete? Or are they touching the kop / centenery stands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

whether it's outright selling, or whether it's looking for big investment, FSG knows that moneyball is not sustainable. FFP has failed, blood money is running the game and it's not going to get any better than this for them, outside of getting their Super League off the ground.

it's probably a good time for them to make some money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

My interest in all things football, not just Liverpool has been waning this past year but if they are sold and become Newcastle/City-esque....yeah, I am done.

They are great owners, but they must realise that in the absence of FFP, there is little hope of competing with the State owned clubs.

A more cynical viewpoint may be that with the likelihood of their investments being affected by what looks like a certain recession, they have decided that there may not be a better time to cut and run.

Either way, new investors will hopefully put us on a better level to compete with the wealthier clubs. I wonder would that Ineos guy be interested in Pool, there was word of him looking into Chelsea and MU. One thing is certain, the pool of buyers able to buy the club will be very small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Coming up to Christmas, time for the Athletic to start up the click bait for subscribers or to gift subscriptions for Christmas gifts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

If it's shares in the club, then good. The FSG model is working to an extent.

If it's a 100% sale, Steve Ballmer if you are reading this get the chequebook out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Not surprised at all ,

I had a discussion with someone on here last month who agreed with me, everything was pointing towards FSG maximising things to keep our valuation up while not spending themselves,

Our owners have been Fantastic but our success means awe have just outgrown there model ,So best to get out right at the top of what they can manage ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

It's unlikely they'd come out and say they're putting it all up for sale outright. This statement is pretty much saying we're open to listening, come make us an offer. I think it'd be naive to think they won't sell the lot if they get a good offer in this economic environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Gonna be hard to find other parties that would want complete ownership, but also are not in it to go sportswashing, or fill the club with debt to fund the purchase.

I wonder would Redbird expand their ownership %?

A mere billionaire can't afford Liverpool these days, you need to have a net worth of 40 billion to contemplate buying it

There are 100 of American and European billionaire with a net worth of 20b up to 200b, but they've never shown any interest in sports, or football. Elon Musk doesn't do sports like most nerds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I think that's it. Don't think there's any room behind the Centenary (obviously they could try to buy up the houses, but I'm guessing that was painfully slow for the Main) and there's no way the Kop can grow, I don't think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's true - but the athletic's headline makes it read like they're only selling it outright, which really doesn't seem to be the case. As you say it's more likely they're looking to release some funds, but with the right offer would sell more.

As far as the 'this economic environment' bit goes - the other side of that is that if they get their money out, they have to find something else to invest in which will perform at least as well, which is no easy feat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just to echo everyone else, I'll be absolutely gutted if FSG do sell. They've been great owners bar a couple of slips, which they've owned up to and reversed

I'd also hate to be part of the sportwashing we see elsewhere. I think it would likely be the end for me too, which would be heartbreaking

I'm going this weekend, better savour it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Horrible draw in the CL, Real are the one club Klopp's liverpool have consistently failed to beat. Real are also one of the few clubs not really intimidated by playing at Anfield, and have an even richer European history than us, that does count for something, makes the tie more difficult than if it was another club. Not sure why some are delighted with the draw as Real have had our measure and won quite easily against us in the last few years.

Regarding the sale of the club or shares in the club, it probably explains the lack of investment in the squad over the last few seasons. FSG have definitely been good for the club, even if a little stingy lately. I think they see it's impossible to keep up with the super rich clubs and with the probability of CL getting more difficult in the future, now is probably the best time for them to maximize return on their investment. They have probably brought the club as far as they can and are at a point where without massive investment in the squad, (which they don't appear to be prepared to do) the value of their investment will go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If our current owners have read the room , they will know we are not open to being sold to a State,

So I'm imagine the realist option is a consortium of some sort .

We are to big to be bought by an individual

My fantasy land hope would be some billionaire buys a massive stake & lets FSG continue as is but spend the Billionaires money ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

This ☝️

No way FSG retain Goldman Sachs & Morgan Stanley unless they are committed to selling a major portion of or possibly all of their shareholding in the club. By the time something like this is made public 80% of the preparatory work will have been done to feel out who the likely buyers etc are and they may already be well engaged with various interested parties under the protection of Confidentiality Agreements.

Wouldn't surprise me to see FSG do a two-step exit i.e. sell a good chunk of their shareholding to X but retain 10%-15% to show confidence in the new guys etc but ultimately have an option to sell the remaining amount to the new guys within 12-18 months once everyone is comfortable with the new arrangement.

The PR will be that FSG have stabilised and brought the club as far as they can winning the CL and PL along the way (which is 100% true) but they now need to pass on ownership to new owners who can take the club forward.

My order of preference for new owners are:-

1. If the Forbes valuation (https://www.forbes.com/teams/liverpool/?sh=528f7e7d6045) of $4.45 Billion is true then 50,000 fans each paying $89,000 to buy the club would be a dream. (Literally a dream given £5,000 a head when H&G were last in town didn't fly!!)
    2. A bigger more well resourced version of FSG who run the club on a commercially sustainable basis i.e. not a sugar daddy type owner.
    3. A self-made sugar daddy type owner who is a Liverpool fan (or at least a serious football / sports fan) who will put his/her own money into what would be a hobby / benevolent / vanity type project.
    4. Owners whose money comes from morally repugnant exploitation of resources or people or both a la City, PSG and Newcastle.

If it's #1 I'll eat my hat!

If it's # 2 we double down and hopefully go on another but bigger and better roller coaster over the next 5-10 years.

If it's # 3 all bets will be off but it'll be an interesting 3-5 years and not necessarily in a good way.

If it's #4 I doubt I'll ever set foot in Anfield ever again as the club would no longer have any of the attributes which made (and still make me) proud to say I'm a Liverpool fan.

I thought the World Cup break was going to create a bit of a lull in Liverpool news and activity but by the time it's over we could have new owners or at least know who the new owner will be once due diligence and contracts are drafted etc.

Exciting and worrying in equal parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

For all their faults and there have been a few, I would be nervous about FSG leaving. I think I am at a stage now that whilst I am still very passionate about Liverpool, I am a bit disillusioned with football in general.

I am content with what we have won under Klopp but I know that some people are not. After the loss to Madrid, I had middle aged men rant and rave in the pub about how little we have won and that we need Arabs to come in and buy us like Man City and Newcastle. I politely reminded them that it was not that long ago that we were getting beaten 6-1 by Stoke. I treasure what we have achieved with Klopp & FSG because aside from 2005 and to a lesser extent 2001 we had very little to cheer about. I just as much treasure the 2 close seasons where by we ran the Gulf State to the final day and would have won the league in nearly every other season. We are competing against financial juggernauts who can waste €60m on a player and not blink an eye.

I get as frustrated as the next fan when FSG wont open the cheque book to give the shiny new midfielder but there is no way I would swap it to be a tool in game being played by horrible people who couldnt care less about the club and are only interested in deflecting attention away from the despicable atrocities that they commit. I am sure Newcastle fans are loving this season and couldnt care less where their money comes from, I have friends who fall into that category, but I dont think I could enjoy it. Yes we have spent a lot of money but what Klopp has achieved is not down to money and I am more the happier for it. I just think Liverpool stand for a bit more. It cant all be about who wins the most but I know that a lot of our fans wont agree. I know I am naive with this romantic notion as FSG have shown plenty of times that we are just a business to them and the day will come that they will want to cash in on their "investment" but I just hope it doesnt result in our club eveolving into a 100% propaganda machine.

I hate even typing it but if FSG sell to the likes of those, I also think I am done. That absolutely kills me not just because of my own love for the club but also because my 6 year old son has just started to show a bit of interest in it and I have dreams of heading over to matches with him and sharing a joint passion for something that can cause me to irrationally shout and curse at men on a TV and then the next moment having me jumping up and down with joy and scaring the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,941 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Listening to Ornstein on the Athletic pod today and him saying he is breaking that FSG are selling Liverpool football club only then to say they are considering just selling shares in the club if they get the right offer

Total clickbate headlines from him and the Athletic and it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You would presume they are well down the route of discussing investment/sale with this news coming out. They are not the type of rag tag outfit to leak to media and then start the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

If they were that close they wouldn't jeopardise the deal putting it for sale, it's a bit strange, a whisper in the ear of the right agent and every potential buyer would be informed, a public statement like is more aimed at the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

How would it work? Expecting new minority shareholders to dip into their pockets?

The redbird investment had no impact on us.

They haven't been shy in saying they are willing to sell shares for investment in the club.

There is a major global recession coming and FSG are more than likely looking to bank some major money without giving up full control of one of there major assists while still trying to keeping that assist strong through the recession.

Looking at there assists Liverpool is the only one that has a major sales value outside of the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Depends.

For simplicity let's assume ownership of LFC is made up of 100 Ord Shares with FSG owning 89 and Redbird Investments (or whoever) owning the remaining 11.

If FSG sell 38 of their existing 89 shares for $1.7 Billion they get to keep it all. No money is invested into the club and FSG remain majority owners with 51 of the 100 shares.

If 25 new shares are sold to DirtyOilInvestments Ltd for $1.1 Billion all $1.1 Billion goes into the club bank account and FSG remain majority owners as they now own 89 of 125 issued shares i.e. 71% and the club goes from a market value of $4.45 Billion to $5.55 Billion as its still worth the $4.45 Billion it was prior to the new investment but now has an additional $1.1 Billion in its bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's actually a perfect investment opportunity too, if a sole investor (or investment group) wanted to buy the majority share.

FSG have been excellent in terms of infrastructure investment. The stadium has capacity has been increased already, with the second phase currently in progress. When this is complete, the stadium capacity will have increased from 45,000 to 61,000 under FSG. This will be the 3rd biggest stadium capacity in the league, and still bigger than some of the newer stadium constructions such as the Emirates, Ethiad & London Stadium. New owners won't have to worry about this, as such. Possibly down the line if the need to revelop the Kop or KD stand arise. Also, the new training ground is in place and another infrastructure investment that will not need to be factored in by potential investors. Todd Boehly had to commit large funds towards the development of infrastructure of Chelsea as part of his purchase and Old Trafford is falling apart. If the Glazers sell, the new owners will need to commit a lot of funds towards that too.

There are some strong commercial sponsorships in place at the club too. The Nike deal is in place, and only signed a large extension with Standard Chartered in the summer gone. These deals are also at market level and are 2 more things that don't really need to be worrying about.

The majority of the 1st team squad are tied down to medium to long term deals. The club as we know is somewhat self sustainable in terms of revenue to wages.

In terms of outlay, the primary focus really can be on transfer spend, without having to worry about other areas of investment also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Would be interesting if Musk did buy though and he could bring in some changes:

Players notified of transfer out by e-mall.

Players must pay an monthly sub to register and verify their squad number.

Increase in Ads revenue.

Tesla battery engineers could look at improving players' fitness.

Post edited by murpho999 on

Of course both legs are scheduled 3 days after we face Everton and United, no let up

Has the actual dates been decided yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

Just spotted on Reddit that this guy Tweeted the above a few weeks ago.

Could be more than just a share?

Dunno where you got that info from but the 1st leg is on Tues Feb 21st after a trip to Newcastle and the return leg is on March 15th after a trip to Bournemouth

Liverpool and Chelsea also not playing in the same week means there is no free dates yet to fill that postponed fixture.

Are those dates definite as it's not on the official site

Going by Dale Johnson from ESPN that is where I got them from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

"When do the knockout stages of the Champions League start?

Round of 16: 14/15/21/22 February & 7/8/14/15 March 2023

Quarter-finals: 11/12 & 18/19 April 2023

Semi-finals: 9/10 & 16/17 May 2023

Final: 10 June 2023"

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/fixtures-results/format/

• Advertisement

Just assumed the fixtures on google were correct 😅

If FSG are planning to sell now then they were at least strongly considering it 4 months ago when they shelled out a record fee for Darwin Nunez, I'm not sure how much this will effect January.

I wish the 2nd leg was earlier, going to have to find a place to watch the 2nd leg somewhere around Dublin airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

I got the Black Friday deal last year: £1 a month for 12 months. To be honest I've only visited the site a handful of times since then.

Yeah I got on board with The Athletic when they first launched but I felt like they quickly strayed from the type of content they originally sold themselves as.

Firmino getting the next month off to rest he's not in the Brazil squad so that is front 4 getting time to rest and recover

Ali & Fab going to the World Cup.

Bobby staying at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

A 19 year old world class English midfielder on a 5 and a half year deal would certainly do a lot for the value of the club post-sale.

Just in case you’re reading, JWH. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

FSG have twice turned down investment from the Middle East in recent years so this would give me some confidence that if they are indeed going to sell the club it won't be to an Arab oil state. If it is an outright sale of the club, then RedBird Capital is a likely option - they already own 11% of the club and Gerry Cardinale believes the Premier League is significantly undervalued commercially.

• Advertisement

Fab needs a break imo. Off the pace this season whatever is wrong with him.

Wasn't bad yesterday tbf.

Advertisement