Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big bus driver shortage. Why in the name of god would you drive a bus these days anyway...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No it isn’t.

The NTA and bus companies need to come up with a schedule that CAN be achieved, thereby avoiding fines unless really necessary.

It would mean reduced PSO payments regardless, but those payments levels are based on the full specified service operating. If they don’t have enough staff well then payroll costs will also be lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Let's face it the NTA is slowly but surely running DB into the ground in order to put more routes out to tender which will be an absolute race to the bottom as Go-Ahead are proving.

Staff shortages are an issue with DB but their even worse with GAI. Let's face it the NTA want it like London which why GAI were brought in the first. Only reason why DB and BE still exist is because of the unions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Only reason why DB and BE still exist is because of the unions.

To get rid of the CIE Duo, they'd have to repeal Section 52 of the Dublin Transport Authority Act of 2008 first. Said section guarantees "an exclusive right" (subsect. 1) to provide the services they did before the NTA was established, and forces the NTA to "enter into direct award contracts" (subsect. 3) that may only be reviewed "following consultation with [the Operators]" (subsect. 5). Section 52 does allow for unilateral amendments to direct award contracts (subsect. 6), but this seems to mostly refer to reducing contracts that are overblown compared to actual needs (well, at the rate BC will be developing, we shouldn't be seeing any of that, that's for sure), but it should be noted that they must at least "invite and consider submissions" relating to any changes, be it from the Operators, or from the general public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Qrt

Does anyone know what Luas shift patterns are? I always thought they were more middling, whereas DB seems to be nice shifts for the long-term drivers and absolutely awful ones for newbies.

It's not awful for the newbies. This drum is beaten too often it's only fair in my opinion that seniority is respected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

To be quite honest, in the case of Dublin Bus, much of the problem is not really of the company's making as such, but has far more to do with a combination of the housing crisis, which is a government problem and one for them to solve, and far more importantly a general shortage or labour. We are near full employment, so simply raising wages isn't going to solve this overnight. It's going to take action at government level to solve those problems.

@LXFlyer There's thousands of people with D licences who could be enticed to use it if the wages and conditions where better, people will even put with bad conditions if paid enough. The OP left for better money and less hours working in a warehouse. How has it got to the stage where there's better money stacking shelves than a driving large vehicle, which is a highly skilled job trying not to kill other road users while in control of a vehicle which weighs several tonnes and can have 95 people on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I am not and ive never worked for DB either but don't you think someone who's been in a job for 15+ years should be preferenced over someone who's been there a wet week. What incentive is there to stay in a job where seniority means nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I don't know someone's individual circumstances, but there is a real labour shortage in general in the economy right now, that's undeniable.

I will go back to the point that the company have only recently spent months getting a multi-year pay and conditions deal with their staff. Do you think they are suddenly going to ditch that? That deal may have changed the circumstances that the OP outlined.

At the same time, the bottom line is that you'd need additional exchequer funding to do it and that's a government issue as I suggested in my post. You can't just raise wages without having the money to do it.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭TranslatorPS

What it boggles down to is that the duties that end up on the so-called "five-over-seven" rotas (which are the core of DB's rotas) tend to not be the longest duties on a given road. It's rather unusual for anything with a spreadover above 9 hours to be on the standard 5/7 rotas, those instead being placed on the "B-Rota", i.e. given to the spare lads.

There's also piles of spare weekend work simply because the afore-mentioned 5/7 rota is built so that for every x Mon-Fri duties, you work 75% of MF on Saturdays and 50% of MF on Sundays (the core of it is a 5-week cycle where one works 4 of each of Mon-Fri, 3 Saturdays, and 2 Sundays). It's a different story on the older schedules where the weekend drops in service are proportional enough, but in the more recent schedules that have been seeing increases in weekend services, well, it's not the strangest thing ever if a third of all the Sunday duties on a given road are spare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Haven't seen any comments so far about anti-social behaviour on buses and having to deal with strung out junkies and lifetime dolers with their free bus passes day in day out. How much of that is a factor in people leaving the job or is it just accepted that having the patience of a saint is an essential part of the skillset?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This is something my Dad has had a problem with since he's been working the DB for over 20 years. While he's set on a route, he didn't want to get marked in on the easier shifts as he found the idea to be quite unfair across all drivers. He also loathes the idea of senirority amongst drivers, as he started in a depot that used it to establish some sort of elitism amongst drivers, where the juniors tended to get ignored by the seniors.

I'm not in DB and if such a mindset was to be supported where I worked, it'd be considered bullying. I don't get why it's just allowed to happen there.

That obviously suits him to stay on the spare shifts. All I'm saying is that the reason you get drivers staying working for Dublin Bus 15+ years is the incentive of getting marked in. Companies without this system tend to have a higher turnover of staff.

Hypothetically speaking forgetting the union objections if marking in was to be removed driver turnover would go through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

When I was in Go-Ahead (2018-19), I was on a duty block for the 17A. Essentially we were marked in, it didn't stop high turnover of staff.

Yeah that's likely because of how poor those shifts patterns actually are in practice. I've heard that's a big problem in GAI. Yes you know your hours well in advance but those hours are gonna be crap either way.

Used to be able to do the bus and truck categories without having a b licence. Many conductors would have been promoted to drivers without having driven anything previously but bear in mind that was when the ordinary working man wouldn't typically have a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Well they have to do something, bus Connects and 24 hour routes will need more drivers. There's no shortage of people with D licences, there's a shortage of people willing to do a stressful job for feck all money. There's better pay and conditions packing shelves so WTF would anyone want to drive a bus responsible for 95 people or a 44t truck for a living?

The Government wants people to use public transport, the first thing they need to make it attractive to drivers so the bus companies aren't constantly cancelling buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭zg3409

Any shift work job is somewhat family unfriendly and split shifts, weekends and holidays don't help. Many shift workers do earlys lates weekdays only. Those in 24/7 factories have clear 12 hour blocks of 3 days on 4 days off etc.

With 100% employment and many jobs having a handier day with less stress and a toilet nearby I can understand while people vote with their feet. Similar case for gardai, army etc.

These days it pays to get some sort of trade or speciality particularly in areas of high demand and high pay. If you can get a handy 9-5 well paid pensionable job or self employed high earner it far preferable to early starts and weekend work. I would say even with higher pay staff turnover will still be high for bus drivers as shift work is really a young person game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd be interested to know what you are doing in a warehouse that pays 200 quid better than the wages I have seen on the thread for DB drivers.

You must be in a management position.

I'm in a warehouse myself driving a forklift and don't make anything like that kind of money.

Can't handle because they have yet to be trained. Any able bodied person can be trained to drive a bus of course having previous experience in a car, a van or a truck is a plus but literally anyone can be trained provided they present the right attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,604 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Clearly ? Not everything is about money. They could pay me 60,000 a year and I wouldn’t do it…it would be the type of job that personally would bore me.

If the wage was better they need to find the money to pay for the increased expense.

the majority of that would be from their clients..

The country that pays bus drivers the highest wage is Luxembourg and public transport is completely free there.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hairymaryberry

Here we go, some reasons to ponder, plenty more if you want them?

You will be dealing with the dregs of Dublin, not everyone who travels on DB is a scumbag, but all the scumbags travel on DB.

Rosters are bad and im a "senior" driver, so this week you work Tues-Sat start at 16:00 and finish at 00:30 then go home, have Sunday off and back in for 05:00 Monday, you do the math, what time will you get home when you finish at 12:30 in depot? Lets say In bed by 01:30 all week then you have ONE day to reset body clock and get up at 04:00 to go to work, see the problem there? Will be worse next year with last departure at 00:00 and first duties starting at 04:00.

Working at weekends , so no going out with friends, this can piss of the girlfriends as well, "you are always working the weekend, we never go out together, blaa, blaa blaa" You could be working a relief and finish at 21:30 and have next day off, no point having a few beers by the time you get home and head to pub, so social life is seriously diminished, not attractive for anyone under 30 to say the least and will be worse with the new rosters coming up.

New drivers have to work the night shifts , at the moment they are workouts, but soon to be full duties with 1-2 hour breaks, who the hell wants to come in and work 20:00 to 05:00? All new drivers must work these as part of contract, so i would expect many to leave when these full duties roll out.

Earlie duties will be starting at 04:00 to tie in with the night service, so work it out for yourself the time you will be getting up at to get to work for 04:00, yep thats going to attract new drivers.

Pay is a 6 year scale, usually work 2 Sundays out of 6, this Sunday pay week is the one they advertise as what you will be earning, not the flat week the other 4 week. Fact is new drivers are leaving to work in supermarkets, better pay and hours.  

Traffic is brutal as we all know so you will be getting an earful of passengers on a regular basis, so plenty of abuse will be coming your way, yep the job should really attractive to potential drivers.

No toilets is a real issue, for years drivers pissed in bushes or empty coffee cup/bottle, cant do that anymore with camera phones, be all over the internet, and with the increase of women drivers that option is a non-runner, so female drivers take bus out of service to go use toilet, and now male drivers are being left in gaps due to the women doing this(rightly so) so plenty of grief for the driver of the next bus following the missing bus.

The above and many more problems have created a staff that frankly dont care anymore, real apathy has taken over, everyone is hoping for redundancy, and/or have an eye out for another job.

Anyone who reports a bus driver for going for a piss is an absolute gobsh1te. I don't know who'd be worse in that scenario the member of the public for complaining or the manager if they actually acted upon it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The issue is not money. I'd say most leave because its not exactly a very stimulating job. If you can drive a bus all day and put up with the riff raff, then hats off to ya. But let's be honest, it's not a highly skilled job and it doesn't take years to get a license. It definitely pays enough for what it is.

I know a DB driver and according to him, he spends as much time not driving on shift as he does driving. He likes his job and is very happy with the salary and benefits, but is first on the picket line if there is a sniff of more money/benefits. Nobody in the workforce will ever admit to be getting paid enough or too much. So I don't expect to see DB bus drivers say here that the pay is great, or even OK.

The OP is a spoof. Warehouse jobs in retail sector pay not much more than minimum wage. Doing nights and shifts brings it up, but nowhere near the money claimed in the OP.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭alentejo

I would argue about the skills element of the Job - Navigating a full bus in the chaos that is Dublin City Centre requires a skill with very serious outcomes if not done properly!

I've seen a bus demolish a bus stop in rathmines outside swancentre. Miraculously no casualties. Irish male bus driver too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Quitelife

A bus Driver was a decent job one time as were many other jobs but as said above companies make the job less and less well paid over the years removing terms and conditions incrementally ...meaning you go from a job people will do for life to one people will resign from without much thought as their not losing much of a job anymore...

Whatever about the driver shortage, to see it offered as a reason for buses appearing on the displays/apps but never showing in the media again this weekend is very frustrating.

No driver, no bus, remove it from the schedule. how hard is that? it would make things so much easier for the passengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

A Luas driver doesnt have to deal with the public face to face and the small minority of scum who fly of the handle. There was a video going around last year of scumbag threating the bus driver and trying to get into to hit him because he wouldnt take a buggy on his bus.

Advertisement