Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

We have a separate thread on the attack on Paul Pelosi. This one is about Musk and Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Wait, wait, hang on there a minute!

Do you mean to tell me that we are allowed to say things like "Men can't get pregnant"? or, "Women and Men are biologically different"? or "People shouldn't be given free 4eva homes"?

That's wild. I tooted this and got banned (jk)

Stay Free

People have already been banned for saying that on Twitter, and much less besides.

A total injustice and an affront to free and equal speech.

Musk will surely remedy that, and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Elon cant claim to be working to make twitter to be the most accurate source of information and allow conspiracy theories on the platform. If he makes a statement and then his actions inmediately contradict that position , then it is not unreasonable to criticise him for that.

You say you are against the publication of speech that leads to violence but give conspiracy theories a free pass even though the pelosi and alex jones Sandy Hook affairs have shown that those that believe in conspiracy theories can become violent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Reading the "Nazi pedo" stuff, I for some stupid reason, assumed he retweeted someone who was a Nazi and a pedophile, and not what actually happened; he shared a quote attributed to someone falsely. That's some serious hackery coming from the posters making said claims.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

If he makes a statement and then his actions inmediately contradict that position , then it is not unreasonable to criticise him for that.

Precisely.

You can use your free speech to contradict him, and prove him wrong.

That's what a town square means, that people can post what they believe to be true and others can provide evidence to prove that position wrong.

That's exactly what Twitter should be, and Elon is trying to make that a reality.

He's not trying to make it a news organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,493 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I see Twitter are now saying they will adhere to Irish labour law. While staff are still on gardening leave they will now be consult staff before the redundancy.

The issue was not the fine but the possibility of actions against company officers

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You don't really address anything though - You accept that there have to be consequences for saying dangerous things but then get upset because there have been consequences for saying dangerous things.

Musk can't claim on the one hand that he wants Twitter to be the greatest source of truth online and at the same time RT utterly false nonsense attempting to justify/diminish a violent assault.

The claims/theories can both exist on Twitter, and be "fact checked" at the same time. That's balance, and how freedom should actually work, instead of the "ban everything that I don't like" mindset that many support.

There's a great audacity too in assuming that your own side owns the truth, when many things that have been banned on Twitter in the past were proven to be true eventually.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The champion of the most accurate information on the internet, Elon musk, was duped by a straightforward misrepresentation. He’s in way over his head. No hackery that is the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Mastodon has been around for a while. It's not quite the same as Twitter. It's a bunch of decentralised servers. You can see messages from any other server like it's all one big system but the posting rules depend on what server you have joined.

Because no single entity controls it it is potentially more "free speech" but moderation is all over the place because each server has its own rules so there's also the potential for mass disinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Begrudgery has nothing to with envy. I don't question your Irishness necessarily I just think it's weird how today's 'right wingers' seem to be deracinated citizens of nowhere. I certainly don't think that someone like eskimohunt (taking them at their word that they're Irish) who is obsessed with the success of this country's enemies can be regarded as a person of the right , of course if (as I really think) they're a brit then it would be possible.

And some conspiracy theories have turned out to be true, or parts of them turned out to be true.

So banning everything left, right and centre, is counterproductive.

Better to have the theories engaged with through evidence and logic. Let both sides have their say.

Look, even boards.ie has a conspiracy theories forum. I haven't seen the roof of this place collapse into Neo-Nazism. No, because it's considered part of free and equal speech to allow that kind of conversation to take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Am I right in saying they will have 30days paid work. Then will be given their notice period if the redundancy is going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

No one stated that the conspiracy theory forum should be the most accurate source of truth on the internet.

Your point makes no sense. Twitter cant be an accurate source of information if you allow each fact to be accompanied by ten lies/alternative theories- so if Elon allows the lies be published then his published objective is also a lie. Imagine if encyclopedias were published with every single alternative theory included, or if history was taught that way in schools. Some of the readers will undoubtedly believe the lies.

You cant prove conspiracies wrong to conspiracy theorists because their belief will trump any facts you put in front of them. This should be abundantly clear as despite the number of lawsuits regarding the last US election that were lost by conspiracy theorists, and that even though these lawsuits went before both Republican and democrat Judges, a large chunk of the Republican party is still promoting that lie.

Your concept of equal speech just seems to be let the facts be buried under an avalanche of lies.

Talk about misrepresentation.

This is a prime example of the kind of disingenuous style that characterizes the posts of those who oppose Musk to the hilt.

Many people have been banned on Twitter because they hurt the feelings of some people, a minority.

They were speaking the truth, but were banned (i.e. were giving 'accurate information').

Musk will rectify that. In other words, have an open forum of engagement where legitimate and reasonable opinions on both sides exist - without incitement, bullying, and so on.

Naturally in that kind of environment, many opinions will be wrong. Probably most.

But you can create an environment where free speech can thrive, where both sides can honestly engage - even if that includes offending some people with the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In an ideal world , the "fact check" option would be great , but in practice most people won't ever see the fact check - They'll read the headline and believe it & share it , they don't click the link that says "This tweet may not be true" or whatever.

So the lie keeps going and never gets properly addressed.

So you are left with the less than perfect model of deleting/editing posts and/or banning users who are repeat offenders.

There's a reason why pretty much every online forum platform uses that same basic model - With varying levels of accuracy and effectiveness for sure , but they all use the same basic approach.

Why? because despite being far far from perfect it's the best we have for now by some considerable margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

No you just ignore anything from Musk you don't like. He flat out stated he wants accurate information on twitter which is fundamentally opposed to what you want, as you state. So you have to ignore it or your hopes for what he is going to do don't work.

Look, even boards.ie has a conspiracy theories forum. I haven't seen the roof of this place collapse into Neo-Nazism. No, because it's considered part of free and equal speech to allow that kind of conversation to take place.

Believe it or not, even though it's clearly labelled as a CT forum, there was a recent Help Desk thread from the usual crowd, looking to get it shut down for "medical misinformation".

Even if every "conspiracy theory" had a false tag, or whatever attached, they still wouldn't be happy. They want their views to be aired and nothing else.

Is that not what Jack Dorsey tried to do regarding Covid? Are you seriously expecting Twitter to have the capability or staff capacity to do that with every conspiracy theory tweeted out there? That is some level of naivety.

I know that whatever is printed in encyclopedias is the majority agreed upon sets of facts, and may be false, and sometimes like in relation to to JFK they may include details of the conspiracy theories related to his assassination but with Qanon I think that the number of conspiracy theories now out there on the net will far outstrip any ability to fact check.

I dont much care that Twitter allows conspiracy theories I'm just calling out the idea that Twitter can be an accurate source of information as Elon claims.

Indeed he was.

We know the reason Elon keeps finding all the parody accounts of him and not everyone else too: vanity searches. All day vanity searches. Sure its how he found this guy and his adulation.

Twitter is a private company, it can do what it wants.

Jaysis is this going to be the drum everytime Elon is backed into a corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If Elon really cared about stopping people posting lies etc why has he not lobbied for Governments to designate twitter as well as all social media platforms as publishers and make them legally responsible for what is posted on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

How would that work? Surely the end of social media?

• Advertisement

Advertisement