Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dk1982

You're some spoofer. You're going on about that UCD team like they're Barcelona. Treaty gave them a hiding only a few weeks ago and that Treaty team is brutal. "we need to improve about 200% to be competitive", "hopefully a miracle happens"....you have hyperbole spewing out your hoop. We beat two premier league teams already this season who play a far better and more fast paced game than UCD, it'd hardly be a "miracle" if we beat them. That's not to say we don't need to improve on Friday nights performance but going a goal up that early often leads to teams sitting back. Anyway in summary you're definitely the biggest drama queen on boards.ie and I highly doubt you were even at the game on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

well done on contradicting yourself in one single paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dk1982

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Over 1200 blues fans tickets sold already. Some support.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭skaface

Add at least another 300 to that today.. We'll have over 2,000 Blues up in inchcore on Friday nite #BLUEARMY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Article in the Examiner today on the Market's Field away stand near-miss;

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-41002226.html

Supposedly about 2000 of us travelling Friday. Unbelievable. Glad people are now buying into our local club.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

People do love to follow a bit of success and excitement in fairness, top goalscorers in the league with the most exciting player with a ball at his feet to go with it!

Cant wait for Friday now, will be my nephew's first trip outside Waterford for a game. Atmosphere is gonna be unreal

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Just goes to show what playing decent football can do. Can never get my head around why some coaches get into football wanting to play long ball or conservative football. It's about the excitement of the sport not boring people with it.

Night and day between the start and the end of this season.

Said it myself, I would have been prepared to give Morris the season knowing full well what I was going to watch every Friday night if he was getting the results but we simply don't have the players in the squad for that style either and in truth I think they never bought in.

We are a ball playing team, and its great to watch. If the start of the season hadn't been such a disaster we would have taken the league title I'm convinced, hopefully now we can come up by getting the win v UCD. They play good football too and I think the game will suit us more than a game v the likes of Galway and their turgid brand.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Brilliant to see so many tickets sold for tonight.

Hope the weather improves and especially hope the wind dies down.

Both teams play decent football so it would be a shame to have the game spoiled by the weather.

That said, an ugly win will be perfectly acceptable.

#BTID

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Safe travels and best of luck to the team tonight

Huge huge occasion for the club and getting back to the top table is a must for the club

If its not to be then winning the the first division next year is the only option

I'm hoping to park at the Red Cow and get the Luas in. Do people think there will be space in the Red Cow? I've never parked there before :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭kksaints

There usually is loads of spaces on a Friday evening when I'm heading up to Pats matches from Kilkenny so there should be lots tonight also. You can also drive into Inchicore and park around Bulfin Road and up towards Connolly Avenue. Thomas Davis Street also has space for parking but leave nothing visible in your car if you park there.

I think I'll go with the Red Cow, would mean I can come straight out after the match.. hop on the luas and then get down the motorway afterward asap 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭kksaints

Yeah, it's what I usually do except for you can get the 13 from outside Richmond Park after the match and get off at the Red Cow Luas Stop which is a 2 or 3 minute walk from the parking area. Often saves from having to walk to the Luas Stops in Inchicore.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Gutted and then to miss a late late penalty to level the game

Heart goes out to the fans who travelled all the way for yet another disappointing performance and result

Another year down in that graveyard awaits and we really need to win the title next season and avoid those playoffs at all cost

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

few good individual performances, but team setup was very deep, took an age to get into the final third, and when they eventually did, there was rarely anyone close to the box. Not gonna win much games like that, got to improve the style of play for next year to get further up the pitch and have more people there.

find the playoff structure a bit strange, just let it be 2nd and 3rd. having to beat 3 teams to get promoted seems a bit odd. owner gonna have to do a bit of magic to buiid it back up and get players in, would imagine Junior and Patterson(probably get money for him) will be playing for someone better next season. signing out of contract PL/EFL academy kids on 2 year deals might not become the worst idea given what them two have produced for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very disappointed you didn't make it up...would have been nice to have you back in the top flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Tough loss . The manager went all in even when we had secured Playoff spot . Was their any advantage apart from momentum to not rest players in last league games . Would have had it made any difference ? I don’t know but they were thrown a lifeline with a dodgy penalty ( Paterson should have done when it ) . Tough slog again next year , major investment needed to guaranteed auto promotion now . Play offs are a dice roll in vegas

• Advertisement

Can't see us getting money for Phoenix, unless something has changed his contract is up the end of the month.

Gutted.

That was a long car journey home, UCD would sicken you. Set piece goal and then sat back for the rest of the game.

We had opportunities but didn't take them, too wild, too rushed at times too slow at others. Just didn't happen on the night, persisting with Waz was ridiculous, he was a disgrace tonight.

Junior may be the penalty taker but after the one a couple of weeks ago I'd have been very inclined to let Power take it.

Serious lack of composure throughout the line up, Baptiste provides it at the back, but that's it. We actually really missed Roland tonight, but had he played who knows, another kid.

Ultimately not good enough, felt the ref was poor and ucd were poor but ultimately we just weren't good enough.

Wonder who the new manager will be, wonder how many of that squad will be back. The graveyard of Irish football awaits again, it's just gutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

yeah they said on the broadcast last night he is contracted for next season, so you'd imagine they'll get money for him. can't see him wanting to waste another year in that division.

and not sure Waterford created enough to say they had the chances to win, only created a few chances late on when they threw the game plan in the bin. UCD were comfortable.

Seemingly the entire squad more or less is? Where does it say he isn't out of contract? What about the rest, junior seemed pretty commited to staying around last night after the match and going again next season.

I hear Phoenix is going on trial next week, but nothing about a contract extension so genuinely appreciate if you can share where you see the contract info.

If you go by transfermarkt.com for example that would still show as November 30 for the expiry

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

Another sickening defeat in a play off final. As a Waterford sports fan we have seen a lot of those types of losses over the years. Another season of playing Cobh, Athlone and Longford isn't too enticing but after a bit of a break we'll be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Lads it was a complete bottle job...playing against opposition they could boss all season didn't help. The step up to Premier is massive and caught them out. We're missing a bit of composure and physicality middle of the park and a striker of substance (like hen's teeth in Ireland).

First 8 games in league cost them the promotion unfortunately...Morris was a joke! Onwards and upwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Such a shame but we can have no complaints. UCD were the better team on the night and looked like they wanted it more. Similar to the Shels game where some of our players froze with the big occasion. I've said it on here before but we need a spine of battle hardened players that have significant LOI experience to get out of this division.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The midfield in particular is too light, they need a bit more dog in there.

i told ye so what was going to happen weeks back. anyone who knows anything about football could see the writing on the wall but instead we had posters come back to me to say i was talking complete muck. anyway what happened? shambles setup from the start, too many players thinking they are Messi / Ronaldo. Too many players not up to the task at hand. huge clear out required.

• Advertisement

Thought I'd highlight the player ratings again from the Shels game considering the defeat to a UCD team with an average age of 21 and the thumping Shels got off Derry. Nothing has really changed except for a few notes below.

Think Darragh Power and O'Keeffe are first division players at best but with a decent new manager I give them some chance going forward. Griffin and Cantwell are definitely Cobh standard and would probably find their level with a good coach like Shane Keegan. Thought Uche has been under utilized over the past few weeks.

Searle needs his P45 and fellas would want to stop believing the hype over on the Blues Supporters Facebook page. Major clear out required both on and off the pitch. Geoghegan, Dunphy etc. need to go off the pitch with fresh young enthusiastic people brought in. I believe we have the Chairman / owner to do this but he is going to have to upset a lot of people along the way. The roth needs to stop now.

Advertisement