Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭mikethecop

they have themselves to greed , involved themselves with international criminals preyed and enriched themselves on the communities they pretend to represent.

your blind support for a party, whom you claim not to be a member yet that bleeds you and your community dry speaks to your own exploitation at their hands or your efforts to exploit the next poor sod

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭notsocutehoor

Did you not understand the question, I thought it was simple enough, if you can't answer it no worries. What timescale would you think FDI would be looking at when deciding on a major investment

What FDI companies have shut down over the last couple of days? I suspect SF taking over won't be the driving force for FDI departure. And just a gentle reminder What timescale would you think FDI would be looking at when deciding on a major investment

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The question is nonsensically irrelevant and therefore not worthy of a response.

McDonalds and many other countries walked away from their investment in Russia when it invaded Ukraine. Nothing to do with the timescale when deciding on investing there, all to do with "events, dear boy, events".

So, the relevant question is mine, how long to you think it will take for MNCs to get out of Dodge when SF take over?

They didn't defend any communities, they terrorised and intimidated them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Yet those "terrorised and intimidated" communities overwhelmingly back SF. Odd that, isn't it? Almost as if it wasn't at all true.

• Advertisement

Only when they stopped terrorising and intimidating them.

You really don't have a clue do you, their local communities backed them at every opportunity (without terrorising or intimidating), as evidenced by their performance in every election they took seriously

So, the relevant question is mine, how long to you think it will take for MNCs to get out of Dodge when SF take over?

Are you afraid to answer the relevant question?

Are you having difficulty reading

I suspect SF taking over won't be the driving force for FDI departure.

• Advertisement

We will have our Liz/Kwasi moment when MLMD/Pearse take over, not good at all.

Interesting logic

The murder of innocents and terrorizing a young nation was worth it to put the gang of murderous thugs in power.

and any way they didnt do them things twas the brits all along ?

not really true though is that ? heres a clue for those who dont have one 😉

Provisional Irish Republican Army - Wikipedia

Support for the IRA within nationalist communities and within the Republic of Ireland has fluctuated over the course of the conflict. In September 1979 the Economic and Social Research Institute conducted a wide-ranging survey of attitudes to the IRA in the Republic. Its findings showed that 20.7% broadly supported IRA activities, while 60.5% opposed them. Meanwhile, when respondents were asked whether they sympathised or rejected their motives, 44.8% of respondents expressed some level of sympathy with their motives while 33.5% broadly rejected them. [348] A study in 1999 showed amongst Catholics in Northern Ireland, 42% of respondents expressed sympathy with republican violence while 52% said they had no sympathy. The same study found 39.7% of respondents in the Republic of Ireland sympathised with republican violence. [349]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

So their success is due to a remarkable instance of christian forgiveness by the nationalist community? Or amnesia, maybe.

Would you think support in the ballot box is a clue for the clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Now then, she was hardly go in to say she knew all along now was she. It also begs the question how many more Dowdalls are lurking in Sf.

Dan.

You need to get your terminology right - the former Sinn Fein councillor Dowdalls

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Thisisthedaywewinaway

There was a peace agreement and IRA volunteers were released in an acknowledgement that it was a conflict..This has already been recognised by this government, the British & American governments and the EU.I don't know why the media and FF/FG don't get this when shouting but the Ra. The Ra won't be the reason SF get into Govt or thee Ra won't be the reason they don't get into Govt

Some of the Sinnerbot responses range from the usual whataboutery to implying he deserved it. Savages. This murder also lead to a spate of suicides in its aftermath. And Conor Murphy MLA has information relating to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Personally I don't look back to the troubles, or even the times and crimes since attributed to SF/IRA. It isn't a consideration in general with the electorate either I feel.

It's about where the electorate finds itself and its satisfaction or not with our current govt and what the alternatives are.

At present and looking back at recent govts and how they were made up and what they done, SF is the only major party untried in govt. And what they offer and promise when stacked up against what's happening is winning voters over.

My advice to the major party's who have governed in recent times is, forget the history of the northern troubles, concentrate on the best policies going forward and at least seem to show more empathy towards the hard pressed electorate. There's an almost palpable feeling of arrogance and smugness eminating from the old guard and its leaders at times which isn't helpful.

The latest budget seems to show a more caring and thoughtful approach and it seems to be winning a few voters back.

Maybe the tide can be turned with just a little more consideration of the actual voting public.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Quinns murder is a post conflict IRA murder. there is no justification for it.

SF will face more and more of this and we will see more and more SLAAPS, and more shinnerbots and more excuses. They already look jaded. BY the time an election comes they will be knackered.

The IRA killed gardai, postmen, census workers, women, children, irish army soldiers, prison officers, and many catholic civilians. SF was the IRA political wing. Its utterly naieve to think this won´t be brought up more and more as SF inch closer to at least being able to form a coalition. Maybe if SF drew a line under it all and moved on. But they can´t they have to play to the hardened Republican gallery. It won matter how many Notre Dame educated Rathgar or WIllow PArk educated southsiders you put on the front line the middle class waivering and thinking maybe, will soon realise what a mistake voting SF will be. Morally and politically.

The IRA were bank robbers, murderers, rapists, wife beaters, drug dealers. Maybe a little bit of freedom fighting and Catholic defence at the start. but those who think they are the justice and spiritual descendants of 1922 and wrap their violence in the flag of our nation, quickly slipped into the same patterns as the oppressors. their justice and judgement came from the barrel of a gun and semtex. And SF as the political wing will always have to answer for that.

You think people who voted SF before or who may vote for SF in the future will not vote for SF due to more scrutiny of their IRA connections basically?

Thats laughable tbf

iḿ talking about people who wavered last time and are considering now. I know a few middle class people already talking maybe SF. When the narrative is brought back to what they did (without really dealing with it) then alot of people might be swayed. What the IRA did in many cases is truly despicable. And until they truly deal with that, then all bets are off regarding it. IN fairness Unionists are calling out the hypocrisy but then again they were part of it so only have themselves to blame.

And thats before you even get to their delusional policies. Many of which will actively self harm the country.

its laughable you don´t understand voter behavior or politics. voters get swayed ALL the time. some people voted in the past may not vote at all, they may be dead. they may have lost all interest. Many people have no idea what happened. theres a huge way to go. SF will now have to deal with all of it. Stuff that possibly FF and FG wanted to let lie, for peace. Its politics, its going to be messy. what do people expect FF or FG to do? not mention the war? its SF´s job to bat as hard as some of the shinners on here. You can be sure tho they won´t be able to victim blame like alot of you lads.

some people here really have no sense. there is probably a good few million people on this island who DESPISE the IRA. its SF´s job to convince those people.

its actually laughable how politically naive some of you shinners are. its going to be hilarious watching you try to explain away a FF coalition.

I can admit Sf will give it a good welly and definitely win more seats. but there isn´t a hope of a majority. the last one we had was in 1987. that isn´t going to happen for all the reasons outlined on this thread. the only laughable thing on this thread are the fantasies of the shinners

Most people i know hope SF and the SDs could manage it if SF hit mid 70 seats (very possible) SF/FF coalition is prob more likely but not one person i know has an issue with this. (An agreement between sf and ff just like fg and ff had last Govt is also possible)

The Ra won't be a deciding factor in the next Govt, or if they do the parties in charge when the Irish Govt were providing arms to the IRA might sway votes too

who said anything about deciding factor? i said it will definitely sway some people not to vote SF.

and of course you don´t have a problem with it....lol. absolute hypocrites. SF would sell their own mother for power. FF will be hypocrites too if they do it after spending an election talking about the IRA etc.

this is more to argue against the people who think this is off the table or something. its not this will be constant. so you might as well accept it. sure you don´t think it will be decisive, then who cares right. if the widow of Jerry McCabe wants to question the murder of her husband then let her. it won´t affect SF right...

i mean we could always ask instead why a wife beating scumbag was connected to Ferris etc..why was he okayed to rob a bank to fix up his gaff in Limerick, why was a person involved in criminality in Dowdall involved..nothing in the grand scheme in elections. i mean i better be careful tho SF had nothing to do with the RA

these are the questions going to be put to SF. but yeah it won´t matter at all. it will affect nothing right

The current Govt campaigned on the a promise that they wouldn't go into Govt together. Thats going to be a major goto for all opposition parties next election

Mary Lou has already said she will talk to all parties as shes a grown up and believes in democracy. FG and others have a diff idea of democracy not even talking to certain parties.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

FG and others have a diff idea of democracy not even talking to certain parties.

There is nothing remotely undemocratic about that.

Wrong choice words i apologise. Some parties are more mature than others and are willing to sit down and talk with people/parties whos views differ to the extreme. Some parties arnt.

Its life

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A) its not true, as we can see from SF's non-existent efforts to actually build a coalition after the last election

B) there would be no point anyway. FG and SF would have no basis for a coalition agreement so why bother talking? If your views differ to the extreme you would make terrible coalition partners and we're better off with no one wasting time on it.

Advertisement