Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

80kw DC max charging....for a 90kWh battery!!

Maxus are imported via a distributer (Harris Group). Personally I'd never buy a car that doesnt have direct manufacturer support in the country as warranty claims can get messy, especially if the distributer decides to cease importing vehicles or has their import licence revoked.

Still I think we are finally going to see more of the Chinese brands making inroads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

For €50k I could see the attraction, but for €80k? Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

INTRODUCING IRELANDS FIRST ALL ELECTRIC PICK UP TRUCK!

-THE ALL NEW MAXUS T90 EV

-354 WLTP RANGE

-80% CHARGING CAPACITY IN 45 MINUTES

-1000KG PAYLOAD

-1500KG TOWING CAPACITY

-HUGE SPECIFICATION

-LANDING EARLY 2023 - ORDER TODAY!

-5 YEAR 200,000KMS WARRANTY

-8 YEAR 160,000KMS BATTERY WARRANTY

-10 YEAR ANTI CORROSION WARRANT

*PRICING*

-RRP @ 62,395 + VAT

Whats a LAUNCH EVENT CONTRIBUTION, ???????

I prefer not to contribute,

LINDERS LAUNCH EVENT CONTRIBUTION @ 2,495 + VAT

-VEHICLE COST @ 59,900 + VAT

-DELIVERY @ 1000 + VAT

- ON THE ROAD @ 60,900 + VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

Never heard anything about those before, what's the opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Same tow rating as a Model Y, i4, EV6 is a bit disappointing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

€80K is crazy for something that manages to make the SsangYong Rodius look pretty.

€60K approx in Germany, Looks like Harris is really loading it on. I hope their left with a yard full of them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

One day my man, if that’s what you want. Remember, Tesla are just another car. Great tech, great efficiency I know 😃 but it’s about what you like and you want in a car.

I remember when Tesla first launched the Irish site. I went on and spec’s my “lotto” car. A white Model S Performance with the 21” wheels and FSD. €206,000!!!!

Back then I didn’t think I’d be on my third one in the space of 2 years 🤣

Back then when it was just the “motors” forum, it was a big shock for you to be buying a Hyundai!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ioniq 5 is where I’d be if I wasn’t in a Tesla I think.

• Advertisement

Just don't like the look of them tbh. I'm up to my eyes in a crappy PCP deal atm I need to get very close to the settlement figure (sept 24) and make a decision then.

It's a great EV, and the base model is superb value for money at about €40k. But it is a good level down from the Model Y in terms of being premium and it is nowhere near as good to drive. Love the look of them though, fantastic design.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not even AWD? Only 300km WLTP?

Doesnt even seem to have cruise control. What nonsense.

I'd love an electric pickup, probably one of the few that would pay 6 figures for an F150 lightning if they sold it here, but not for that tat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think us early adopters benefitted a number of times especially if you had multiple imports, no VRT on import (even for my S with a well crafted letter of appeal), free public charging, free SuC on Tesla imports, very low depreciation when selling on/modest profit and finally when COVID/The Ukraine hit pretty large profits on our pre Brexit imports which made cost to change negligible.

It's an era that will not be repeated, I had pretty much free cars and fuel for guts of 4 years

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yeah normally early adopters (technically we were pioneers for years until recently enough) pay a high price for early access to new stuff, but we most certainly didn't.

At one point, I think back in about 2018, I was afraid those super low (or even negative) depreciation rates were not going to last and I was contemplating selling my near 2 year old Ioniq 28kWh (for as much as I bought it new) and buying a supercheap PHEV from the UK as a stop gap until EVs got a big depreciation hit. But I didn't go through with it. Thankfully as that depreciation hit never came

In some ways, I think we are still riding this big wave. Night rate electricity is still many times cheaper than petrol / diesel. And if you bought an EV cleverly right now, you'd still have very little, zero or even negative depreciation. Particularly on the low end EV stuff like early Leafs

That Maxus T9 ute is currently sold in NZ and shortly Aus as the eT60 under the LDV brand (this & Maxus are both owned by SAIC Motor) for around AUD$65-70k driveaway estimated (€45k equivilent). Makes the €60K + VAT price look like complete BS.

John Cadogan breaks the numbers down/

TLDR;

• Tiny payload / towing capacity when calculating actual capacities
    • Poor range (real world range closer to 250km / Towing range 130km)
    • Charging (5% -> 100%) 13.5hrs @ 7.4kW (80kw max DC)
    • 2WD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Looks like the UK is about to drop the VED exemption for EVs. It's expected in the upcoming autumn statement, according to the FT. Nothing in their article about what it might cost.

Paywalled

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Those pickups are a waste, I had my eyes open for a F150 EV during recent trip to States but didn’t see one, did see a Rivian but unfortunately no opportunity to stop and oggle it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

For Irish Ferries (Dublin-Holyhead route), there was no cost to book a charger when I travelled this week. It was a €0 add-on.

The charge you get appears to depend on how many vehicles are plugged in - yesterday, with a full ferry and all charge points in use, my Model 3 SR+ went from 50% up to 75% on the 3.5-ish hour journey (approx 15kWh). Loads to get me to my destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

What's people's general experience been of wait times? A dealer is telling me 10 months for a Q4 E-Tron. Will that realistically turn into 14 months plus as I am assuming there is a bullsh1t factor built into their estimates. It seems so hard to actually buy something that isn't a Tesla.

It’s correct. Look at the amount of people waiting on i4’s from BMW. At least a 12 month wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It depends on the car, something like a Q4 E-tron is being produced in fairly small numbers, so the wait time could be fairly accurate

On the other hand, there's several people have recently walked into a VW dealership, gotten a cancelled order and had their car within a week

So it really depends on how flexible you are on what car you want. If you've your heart set on the Q4 then you may have to wait, but if you ring around dealerships then you might get lucky

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Technical question. When charging your car on AC is the voltage stepped up to 400 and then rectified to DC by the onboard control unit? I'm assuming a public DC charger does this at the station and there's 400V DC at the end of the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes. The on board charger takes in 7/11/22kW and charges the main high voltage battery by DC

On public DC chargers they supply DC direct to the cars battery however the car always decides on the maximum charging rate and the car measures the voltage and temperature of every cell to ensure no cell is every overcharged nor overheated. When car is nearly full the car will tell the DC charger to slow the charging rate to a trickle. You can monitor each cells temperature and voltage yourself on many cars using an app and an odb Bluetooth interface. If battery temperature is in ideal range car can charge quicker do teslas preheat/ precool the battery on the way to the charger for maximum charging rates.

There was a bit of talk last week about EV fires etc

I just got this months copy of the IFE journal and there’s some interesting reading.

Thought you might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Very interesting, didn't know about the potential explosion risk of Lithium batteries

I do still think that EVs are safer then ICE cars in terms of fire risk, and I believe the statistics still back this up

However there's definitely a gap in training and equipment to deal with an EV fire. Hopefully it gets addressed soon as we're seeing more and more EVs on the market and even at a lower risk per car that will mean more EV fires.

And since every EV fire becomes a national sensation, there needs to be very clear safety messaging around it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I agree, EV fires are very very rare in comparison it when they do occur they are long lasting, hot and very unforgiving.

Technology, Training and awareness on how to deal with them is badly required.

Thanks @Gumbo - interesting read as this is an area that is still evolving - as the article states - by the amount of research this is currently underway.

Certainly challenging for Designers and Fire & Building Control authorities alike around the world, knowing that the design of compliant buildings today, especially multi-level & basement carparks, may not fit for purpose in the an all EV future (with regards to fire safety).

• Advertisement

Not with LiFePO4 batteries. They just vent, you won't get any fire or explosion. That's why all EVs really should have this chemistry.

Advertisement