Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Given that the station box is much further north on OCS that would be difficult (it stretches from Cathal Brugha Street to Cathedral Street.

But a southern entrance would be a good thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The passageway from my putative entrance to the station box would be long and have to be mined. That might be expensive to build.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Funny thing, people already make this connection. Spend any time on OCS and you will see plenty of folks with backpacks/luggage get off the Luas and head up OCS to get the 16/41/Aircoach to the airport.

Of course they tend to be young people/backpacker types. The family of 5 is a silly extreme example. As a parent myself, I can assure you no parents would dream of dragging 3 kids and a buggy on a Metro, even if it had no change at all, that is the stuff of nightmare fuel. When your family gets that large, you just end up factoring in the reality of the cost that you will need to get a Taxi to the airport or drive and park and that you will be renting a car on the other side.

And I say that as someone who has done a lot of traveling with the misses and the little one, lots of on and off public transport and planes, travelling with just a backpack, doable with just one kid, maybe two, but not a hope with 3 young kids. Even then we take lots of taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Good lord. Can the original poster go back and change the example to a family with 2 kids and wheely bags. No prams. Prams are highly highly controversial it seems.

Then we can start this whole conversation again - if people think a 6-10minute walk down the busiest street in Ireland (never mind the social issues) quantifies as a "good connection" - which I believe was the original question.

The answer is no btw 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

The site for the proposed OCS metro station has taken many years to assemble.

What follows in this paragraph is conjecture, but I imagine at the beginning of that period of assembly a large underground car park was envisaged, for punters wishing to visit the shopping, entertainment and other facilities which were going to eventually come on stream. As it has become increasingly difficult for private cars to get to that area, the amount which was envisaged for parking has dropped, and the attractiveness of setting aside of a bit of the originally planned parking area for a metro station box has increased. Any sensible developer would see the advantages of a metro station on the very site, particularly as access by private transport was becoming more difficult.

Thus, the possibility of a metro station at that location would delight the developer. And, it would suit the metrolink planners, as they seem to have a phobia of disruption - a phobia which doesn't seem be shared in other cities, or certainly European ones.

Development of a properly integrated public transport network in Dublin is clearly the loser with this plan.

(It is commonplace in other countries to see roads, streets and large public spaces largely blocked off for a period in order to build quality, properly integrated, public transport)

I am surprised that the examples given above focus on the tourist, or the family from (say) Tallaght going on their annual holiday.

There are plenty of large employment locations along both the Red LUAS and the metrolink. A proper connection between them should be a priority, to make it easy for your normal commuter to get to and from these locations.

This transfer, billed as 'an easy connection' by the metrolink planners, is categorically not as touted. It would take over an hour a week to do it, or 2 full days in a normal year, as currently planned. It is hard to see that something better could not have been planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Change the example all you want, it doesn't make any difference. It doesn't matter if you consider it a good connection or not, it is the only realistic option. Mining a tunnel would be incredibly expensive and unjustifiable for the small benefit it would bring. If that is what people are nitpicking over, it shows the plan overall is a very good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

It’s not nit picking for gods sake.

It’s pointing out an issue- it may not be a massive issue but it’s an issue that may affect some families.

Don't know why some on here are getting so worked up about it tbh.

Would it be better if people didn’t point out that the design isn’t suitable in this (very narrow) scenario?

It's easy to say the design isn't suitable but the alternative would be an enormous amount of work and horrendously expensive. How does it even work in practice? How do you get to street level at Abbey Street, there is limited space and there is an enormous amount of services under the road and footpath there as they can't be under the Luas tracks? It's all well and good saying the design isn't suitable when you don't have to consider the actual implications of what you consider suitable.

A few minutes walk at surface level to interchange is not such a big issue and is not not uncommon elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Well it's not like there isn't plenty of space to do cut-and-cover walkway across to the Luas stop.

I've been very clear on my opinion here - this should be built as planned, let's get on with it.

However, the "OCS" Metro stop is basically "Parnell" and it absolutely cannot be considered well connected to the Red Line, which the designers claim it is. If you add in the broader Bus Connects, it's horrendously badly connected. Remember Bus Connects plans all routes to cross over along the quays and OCS / OCS bridge.

You'd barely even notice my "crayon addition", but an entrance to the station on the south end of the platform would reduce the walking distance by 130m. This is a 25% reduction which is not inconsequential.

• Advertisement

I think you’re getting a bit confused about the bus connections.

O’Connell station and St Stephen’s Green station will connect into the A, E and F Spines.

Tara Street will connect into the B, C, D and G Spines.

Thanks! Yeah I forgot the East-West spines continue along the quays and interact with Tara.

Do you know on OCS, most bus stops are currently on the northern end, especially the Northern direction buses. With Bus Connects, are they creating new stops nearer to the bridge to allow spine interchange there?

No the stops would be on Westmoreland Street and D’Olier Street.

This is not the location of the OCS stop, it is to be further southwest under the "Carlton Cinema Site" and the entrance will be south of Cathal Brugha Street.

Thanks - yeah the picture I used must be old?!

I got the following pics from the RO site. This is 450m to the Red Line Luas stop. It's still far from optimal. 400-500m is considered maximum distance an average person is willing to walk for public transport.

Assuming people have a 4-500m walk at the start and end of their journey - adding 450m down OCS cannot be considered "good" for a connection. It's very bad. I'm not sure why people are arguing otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Most of the biggest city centre metro stations in Europe involve walks like this to go between lines, whether it's over or underground. Chatelet Station in Paris is like a maze, not too hard to get lost in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If you’re waiting for “optimal”, it’s simply never going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Putting 'very bad' in bold doesn't lend it any more authority.

As repeatedly stated by people, 400/500 metre is within the range of 'normal max length' for a transfer between two separate lines on a system. It is unfortunate that it is outdoors whereas transfers of comparable length tend to be covered (although from my limited Parisian experience that can be unpleasant as well with crowded stuffy corridors and staircases).

No-one is claiming it is ideal, but you really are completely exaggerating how bad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Can they not just in this scenario if they cant/won't walk 500m just walk the 50m to the GPO greenline stop, take that luas 1 stop, and then alight at the next stop opposite the proposed entrance to underground?

Maybe not ideal, maybe not the worst either.

How many individual people would be using the redline to underground via abbeystreet/OCS connection on a regular basis to make it that much of a hassle?

It's not that simple.

You also have to assume people walk 4-500 metres at either end of their journeys. This is why minimizing connection times and distances is crucial.

Adding an additional 450m in town makes for total walking up to 1.5km (for lots of people) - this is where people start taking alternative means such as a car.

There is a whole science around human behaviour in situations like this - my opinion is not based on nothing and it is not dramatised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Other cities like NY, Paris, London etc where there are long walks when transferring from Line A to Line B presumably also have the same issue of people having further walks at both ends of their journey. They don't seem to have felt any need to eliminate these transfers in the 'middle' because of it. What's different about Dublin?

Oh c'mon, you can't seriously compare Dublin to New York, London and Paris.

3 of the biggest cities on the entire planet.

The 3 oldest Metro systems on the entire planet.

3 of the largest Metro systems on the entire planet.

Then there's Dublin. Give me a break.

It is what it is. There are no realistic alternatives. I can't see it making a blind bit of difference to Metrolink passenger numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Once metrolink is built and if it turns out to be really unbearable I fully support a separate project to connect the metro station by underground walkway to a new entrance at Abbey St and a link to the basement of Clearys Easons and Penneys make it a part of the shopping experience

In reality, we need to move on from seeing the Red and Green Luas lines as the holy grail of Dublin's transport network - they are anything but!

The poor connection between OCS Metro and Red Line is unfortunate, but there are alternatives which people have already touched on - connect to the Dart system at Connolly or New Spencer Dock, or switch to a "metro connected" bus before getting to Abbey Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Why would it be 'horrendously' expensive?

That big site neighbouring Tara Street had huge excavation just within the last year. They are now up to about 6 levels above ground. Presumably there is still considerable work going on below ground.

It shouldn't be difficult for excavation and covering to take place within about one year at a proper location on O'Connell Street. Further work, such as fitting out, should be able to readily continue without significant disruption overground.

The costs of building the box are broadly the same wherever you build it: the workers and the materials. There is no reason why the costs are 'horrendous' at one location but 'fine' somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭AngryLips

But the two luas lines set the benchmark for transport in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

This can't be a serious comment! Building costs absolutely do vary depending on location, that is an established fact. Pouring concrete in a field in Mayo has a different cost to pouring concrete 20m under OCS. That may be a extreme example but the principle applies.

Any tunnel from the OCS Metrolink station to the Abbey Street Luas stop would have to be mined out the entire distance at considerable distance below the surface. The foundations of hundreds of years old buildings, the foundations of The Spire and two Luas lines all mean it would have to be very deep. There are no ifs or buts about that.

How do you get to surface level at Abbey Street? You need stairs and a lift which will have a large enough footprint. To do it anywhere near the Luas stop would mean relocating services which under the road and footpath because they cant be under the Luas tracks. There isn't even space there to relocate the services to. Here is Abbey Street Luas stop from the Metrolink Utilities Drawings;

So yeah, I stand by my comment that such a tunnel would be horrendously expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Advertisement