Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get ethernet to recognise internet provider?

Options
  • 25-10-2022 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Landlord recently changed from vodafone to 3.

In Desktop computer, I can connect to internet through Wi-Fi. But ethernet still shows previous provider.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You don't. Ethernet doesn't care or recognise it. That's just a label that was applied when the connection was setup. It has no technical meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Or, you could…

https://winbuzzer.com/2021/06/24/how-to-change-network-name-in-windows-10-xcxwbt/

True, no technical meaning, purely aesthetic, but it’s one of those little niggles.

If it’s a thing though where the previous Vodafone connection was a dongle, and the new Three connection is also a dongle, then it’s a bit more in-depth to remove all traces of the old connection.

OP have you checked that there’s no software still on the computer that was installed with the Vodafone connection? Uninstalling that might also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭steve66

Thank you. Yes, I am using a dongle for 3, and was also using for Vodafone.

Using Regedit. I searched for vodafone Instances of the name. The first one that turned up was

in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\{309E744E-1FFB-4754-B334-056AF4194D04}

Should I delete all keys that find vodafone

Before you do that, if you right click on the connection, go into properties, is there an option to Rename Connection?

If I right click the ethernet option in in Network connections, there is a rename option. But the only part It seem s I can rename is the word "Ethernet"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Claggan

From Start, search for Local Security Policy App. Select Network List manager Policies (on left). Double click Network Name. Select Name. Type in new Network name (get from WiFi connection). Click on allow user to change name. Restart computer. Ethernet should now show new name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

This is only available in the Professional/Enterprise versions of Windows 10/11

Hi. thank you for your suggestion. that way didn't work for me. But I managed to get there in the end.

Advertisement