Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Sure it is but you "noticed" him as a weak link last week, and the week before that and the week before that and the week before that and the weak before and the weak before that and the week before that and the week before that and the week before that and the week before that and the week before that for about 100 weeks now. We get it, you think Elliot is a weak link in our team. Ok what else? Anything new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

They are definite, LFC now have them posted up on social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No one can afford Liverpool, you can't just be a Billionaire, it's out of their price range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Honestly, I’m pretty gutted to read the news about FSG today.

While they haven’t been perfect and have made their share of mistakes in their time as Liverpool owners, I still look at almost every club in the world and think the same thing. I wouldn’t swap FSG for any other owners, and if that means we won’t win as many trophies as Man City, I’m 100% fine with that.

Football has changed so much over the last 25 years but remarkably, we’re still managing to cling onto the old values of the club while still being very successful. That won’t be possible in another 10 years, no matter who the owners are, so whoever does end up buying the club will either be doing so with very dirty money, or we’ll just continue on this current decline that’s just set in.

Either way, it’ll be the end of an era which has been the most successful in my lifetime as a Liverpool supporter, and that saddens me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Of course people can afford Liverpool, look at the line of potential buyers Chelsea had

• Advertisement

Yea and they ended up with a guy who knows nothing about football, but who is making the calls. FSG know nothing about football, but never got involved much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

There were 5 bids for Chelsea FC and the final value of the sale was in the region of £4.25 Billion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

I've lost 95% of my interest in football since we won the league and were unable to celebrate it properly cos I figured what's the point? Wait 30 years for something and it just gets cruelly robbed from us, next time we win it WW3 will probably start or something like that. I only watch our games now whereas before I used to very much look forward to the prem games each week to watch as many as possible and play FPL. I do neither anymore and if Liverpool really does get sold to some Oligarch or nation state I reckon that could be the last 5% of interest gone aswell.

How is rugby these days? I hear alot of UTD fans talking it up the past few years...😋 I will miss watching UTD fans misery as they fail to compute not winning everything all the time like they remember from their childhoods!! 😂

It's not worth anymore tbh.

The FSG statement hardly backed up their original clicky headline, and made them look very tabloidy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Be hilarious if Elon bought us , We could be biggest anti Oil money Club ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The likes of Musk can stay away from the club as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Tweet taken from Reddit.

This guy writes for the Boston Globe which Henry owns. If FSG weren't open to selling the club I don't think Henry would be letting one of his journalists write something like this.

Post edited by TitianGerm on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah I agree with a lot of this.

As you said, they haven't been perfect but they've been very close, especially from a business sense. They've 10x the value of the club, maybe even more.

For some, in an ideal world, every club should be self sustainable, grow organically and improve over time through smart decision making. FSG did that at Liverpool. Maybe they will continue to do so, we don't know yet. Hopefully the work they have done with smart decision making will continue either way.

I suppose the biggest gripe that people have with FSG is transfer spend. They bought the club with FFP in mind and thought that they could compete there. FSG wanted the club to be self sustainable and grow, which it did, while not delving into their own pockets a whole lot, except for infrastructure investment. Perhaps with a view there to growing the club's value. Largely, it worked. The club won all of the major trophies. They competed in multiple CL finals and were in many title races.

But in an era of petro-clubs, sportswashing and state backed clubs, they couldn't compete with the owner-led finances spending vast amounts of outside money on transfers and wages. Chelsea were propped in their FFP reports to the tune of £1.5 billion. Man City, Newcastle & PSG either have spent outlandishly or will continue to do so. Year on year, it's not a 1 in 5 years cycle for those clubs.

And it's not like every Liverpool fan wants to spend like those clubs every year either. Personally, I'd be content with pushing the boat out a bit further, but seeing the money that Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd spent this summer is envious. Having a summer like the Thiago-Tsimikas-Jota one is what we should be aiming for I think. Not the last couple where one senior signing was coming in each window. When the squad is at a better place in terms of profile and age, then it can be relaxed again. But again, in the age of the sportswashing, that is difficult. I for one hope we don't become a sportswashing project. But if we can get another FSG who are willing to push the boat out a bit more in terms of transfer spend in order to get the squad back up to a higher level, I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Agree with you regarding pushing the boat out every once in a while, had we done that a few seasons ago, we'd be in very good shape squad wise, it's really the only criticism that can be levelled at FSG, not strengthening when at the top, otherwise they were almost perfect owners. We all know we can't compete financially with the likes of City, but, for an elite club we have been a bit too reluctant to spend at times which has had a detrimental effect on the squad. We'll have to wait and see what happens, I'm not too sure the liverpool fans would stand for a Saudi type owner, but, there's always the risk of another Hicks & Gillett or Glazer type owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Agree with that. Will be interesting to see what names start coming out over the next few weeks.

Just on the point of delving into their own pockets for infrastructure - wasn't the main stand funded by way of a loan? FSG organised it but it's the club paying it back from my understanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's a day that was always gonna come, at least where they test the water. They have been straight up all along this was an investment, they would put capital up but expected the club to wash it's own face in monetary terms.

The only real mistake they made was to take Uefa at their word when they said they were implementing FFP. Instead, they hadn't the wherewithal or balls to see the deal through, and have allowed the likes of City, PSG and Barca to falsely inflate the market with unrealistic fairy tale deals, and blown the FSG plan out the window.

There are 2 choices of owner, either another (probably US based) investment fund who will have to pay tip Dollar and won't have money to put into the team, or another dictatorship who will try to use the clubs name to further their own aims.

Neither is particularly palatable in truth, we'll miss FSG when they go for all their perceived faults (they weren't without fault, but they were very good for the club and the club is a lot stronger for their presence.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

On a change of topic. Will Southampton be in for some new manager bounce this weekend???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

While it seems the initial reports on a sale seem to be sensationalist and misleading, FSG opening up the possibility of selling shares does open up the possibilty of a full sale of the club. It doesn't completely rule it out.

I am not surprised at all. They are obviously a very shrewd group of businessmen and investors, but I always felt their ultimate goal was to improve the value of their investment in order to make a tidy profit further down the line, whether by selling the club in one go or selling stakes bit by bit. Them not putting their own money in was a big red flag for me. I mean the club will be paying for the stadium extensions and training ground. Their model shouldn't translate to any success in a sport heavily influenced by big spenders. Almost feels like it was by chance rather than by design that we had some very successful seasons.

The big question now is where the club goes from here. Ideally nobody wants to be owned by any owners, groups or states that have questionable morals / history. It is quite possible that in the current economic climate the value of the club has peaked which might put off investors who don't have unlimited cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The last time they were getting ready to sell shares they came out and said that the club wasn't for sale. They haven't done that this time though so what has changed?

John Henry didn't want to buy Liverpool, it was a case of '' you're making me buy it, we're stealing it''

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

They could be open to selling now if they believe the value of the club has peaked and they have done all they can to increase its value.

We can't have Chinese owners, Russian owners, Middle Eastern owners, but we will wear shirts made in China, use oil out of Russia, and Oil out of Middle East

There's absolutely no way this has been leaked if there isn't already a bid

This is to try make it a bidding war

Nobody is coming out saying publicly the club is for sale & then people know uv a club u don't want & under bid, They are not amateurs.

FSG have taken the club as far as they can on there model & are looking to make as much money as they can with us at the highest spot they can take us

Just make sense for all parties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Can't say I know a whole lot about Nathan Jones tbh. The way we've played against the lower teams this season it'll probably be a struggle anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Musk's God Complex wouldn't work at a football club. He'd be preferable to someone with a very bad human rights record, but otherwise I'd avoid him like the plague.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I see little ground-breaking in the news today. The substance of it appears to be they'd 'consider 3rd party investment'. They've already been open to that for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,941 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Can RedBird actually buy the club since they already own AC Milan & Toulouse what would happen if both clubs meet in Europe.

What are UEFA rules on that?

Have the Red Bull clubs meet in Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

seem to recall the RB clubs being in the same Europa group a few years ago alright

If you can't beat them join them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭RonanG86

They could probably restructure so technically Liverpool and AC Milan aren't owned by the same company if they had to.

The bigger question with RedBird is if they actually have the money. Didn't they try to raise $700m to buy some equity in FSG before they bought Toulouse and ended up being able to get nowhere near $700m? I appreciate they've since come up with $1bn to buy AC Milan, but coming up with quadruple that less than a year later seems a big ask.

If they come in, it could be as part of a merger with FSG rather than outright buying JWH & Co. out.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Baseball72

On a different topic - can I ask for advice on best mode of travel from Manchester Airport to Liverpool/Anfield?

I am attending the Liverpool v Derby County match tomorrow and am flying into Manchester Airport (for the first time). Arriving just after lunch on Wednesday.

What are connections like from Machester Airport or Manchester central to Liverpool? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Manchester airport has a train station. Just get the train to Liverpool lime street, they're very frequent, maybe 20/25 mins apart but could be 5 mins apart depending on the times you travel. Look at the prices before you pay, could be £10/15 cheaper to get one 10 mins later cos it takes a little longer with more stops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Could Red Bull afford to buy? If they'd forego the usual name change, being the final stop on their production line of talent would be interesting.

The owner of Red Bull died a few weeks ago and there is concern within those clubs now that the company will drop its interest in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭antimatterx

i wonder if a deal is done and we’re getting soundbites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm kind of sad to see FSG go but they obviously don't want to fund the club as a going concern. They bought it cheap, ran it on a shoe string , abet with competent employees , then want to flog it for billions. If they think its not paying enough profit so too risky as N investment, a Saudi billionaire might be the only way to go.

I’d start Nunez tonight and play him as an out and out centre forward.

I wonder how Klopp will answer the club for sale questions I’m the pre and post match interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭McFly85

Ran it on a shoestring is a bit much. We were a couple of hundred million in debt when they bought us, turning us from Europa League also rans to one of the best teams in Europe. Spent money to get one of the best(if not the best) coaches in the game, transformed how we identify players with an incredible success rate for years, improved the ground and the training facilities, without piling any debt onto the club - while winning every trophy they could win.

The main frustration seems to be that we didn’t spent as much when we possibly should, which I can understand. But honestly it’s difficult to imagine anyone doing any better. The FSG/Klopp era will go down as one of the greatest times ever to be a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm very sure that the decision to sell (shares or the club) was not made on Sunday evening and the media were made aware on Monday. Generally these days when something comes out of the club, then things are already in motion.

FSG owe Klopp and Edwards a lot,that's for sure.

No just common sense on a business side of things ,

I wonder also about the timing of it, a month or more off from games now so it won't really effect on the pitch stuff,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,966 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If Edwards gets credit for the players he signed then surely FSG should get credit for hiring Klopp and Edwards.

Ah im just joking, No chance he'd buy us & i wouldn't want him he's to much of a lose cannon ,

How many of you's are there, If your stuck for time & trains don't suit you , you could book a cab for 60 pound ,

The train station is in Manchester Airport so its very hand to go straight to Lime street,

Try trainline app you'll get a one way ticket for about 10 pound,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’d rather start him tomorrow night….. when everyone else is there too 😜

• Advertisement
Advertisement