Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah still hopeful of getting one but no one in this country seems willing to bring them in to sell them although they have the right certification and all. It seems even most people in the trade are not aware there is no longer a 6kW export limit for domestic dwellings, subject to filling in the right form and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Have Rexel/Kellihers/CT Electric stopped the Sunsynk range. I'm sure they last time I was in CT they had the Sunsynk or is it a case they are not doing the particular model?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Seems a bit ridiculous that they won't order one in. Would the UK or the Netherlands be an option for you?

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I picked up the 5kw version in Kellihers a few weeks ago. The 8kw version isn't on their product listing.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Folks, bit of a stupid question but are Solartricity just a wholesale supplier or do they sell to the public as well?

They say they're wholesale but their website is laid out like they do installation as well

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Going back to your cabling, you were mentioning panels to MPPT, do they not hit a firemans switch before Inverter?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies....

This was actually another question I had. Does anyone know if it's okay to mount the fireman switch outside (in a weatherproof enclosure)?

The way my house is laid out there's no readily available place to put the fireman switch within 1.5m of the cable entry, except outside the house

To answer my own question, they're wholesale only now. They said they used to sell to the plebs but stopped after they were getting so much interest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭DC999

My fireman switches are outside along with the inverter. Backs onto fuseboard. I got the installer to put them up above hand-height so people won't turn them off messing. So maybe 7 foot up. Emergency services could easily access them.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They sell to the public as well. If you need anything, give them a call. Friendly, helpful staff and the owner is a regular on this forum, well he used to be! As most places though, they are very busy and they do suffer from shortages as it is near impossible to keep up with the exploding demand at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,913 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not anymore

Purchacing products | Solartricity

Quentin Gargan Staff answered 3 weeks ago

We are trade only suppliers. Contact us if you are a registered installer – you need to be an electrician to install.

Thanks.

Cheers for that, did you get the grant and were there any complaints from seai about the placement of the fireman switch?

Also, you'll be in trouble of you get a 5 foot firefighter 😂

I do agree about putting that kind of stuff high up. I've 2 EV chargers at the side of the house, one of them is around waist height and I have to be very careful going around with a wheelbarrow that I don't bash it

When I got the second one installed, I asked them to put it around shoulder height so it's out of the way of getting damaged. Also the kids can't mess around with it now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

theres nothing to operate on it, Its a electrically powered motor/switch. Cut the house power, Fireman switch opens

I was thinking more about someone bashing it when a ladder as they're going past or something. Since I'd be putting the fireman switch in the side passage if it's external then it's in a vulnerable position anyway

I'm pretty sure there's some minimum distance requirement on the placing of the firemans switch, here is a Board's posting from earlier in the year

Through these requirements of Part B of the building regulations and I.S.10101, all domestic PV installations installed under this Scheme must:

• Provide an automatic (i.e., automatically operated by disconnection of the main AC supply

to the building) shunt (or interlocked) isolation of the circuit (whether AC or DC, and two pole) from the solar PV modules into the building, as close to the solar PV modules as possible, and a maximum of 1.5m internally from the point of cable entry to the building.

• Where the circuit from the solar PV modules does not enter the building, this point of automatic isolation must be within 1.5m of the solar PV modules.

• For ground mounted system the shunt (automatic isolator) must be within 1.5m of the solar PV modules

So in my case the cables will probably come in through the side of the house, go through about 5 meters of ducting to the inverter

There isn't really a good place to put it inside where it won't be visible, so next best idea seems to be outside, close to the point where the cables enter

I feel like the "as close as possible to the solar panels" statement is a bit odd. I get the idea behind it but there's practical limits to consider

If I'm reading it right, then in theory I would be required to put the fireman switch right up at the roof if it's outside 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Gah! Hate when they start gatekeeping like that. Luckily there are cheaper places to get them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

They are strict as F about the 1.5m thing, I have panels on my shed, then about a 10m cable to my house up into the attic and I had the fireman switch there right as the cables entered the attic.

They made me move it on the side of the shed to within 1.5m of the panels.

I still put it back into the attic after I passed the inspection but just be aware this is the sort of non-sense you will have to deal with.

Yeah it's pretty stupid considering you need AC power for them, they have some IP rating but wouldn't want that in the rain all the time.

fireman switch is right up there as something to be removed after the grant comes in anyway. I wouldnt be worried about it.

Why? I have one for my second install (non-Grant aided), in the overall scheme of things not a huge expense and in regs for a reason (I would assume), to remove it afterwards is negating RECI sign off on electrical install I would imagine

• Advertisement

Because it's not necessary. There's a manual isolation switch for everything. If theres a grid power outage during the day, that shouldnt affect my generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭DC999

Ah, I added the wrong info I think. I've 2 manual switches outside my house. I thought they were the fireman's switch. Or is that the automated one that turns off when the power goes of and back on when it's back on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

The fireman's switch is a box which has to be within 1.5m of where the DC power lines enters into your house. For most people, this is in the attic. It doesn't have to be accessible (easily) as it's function is really to remotely kill the solar power along the wires carrying the DC current from where it enters the house to your inverter.

In the scenario of where your inverter is right next to where the wires enter the abode, the firemans switch is somewhat useless as it's main function is to stop having 400-600V DC lines "live" in the house where you might have a fireman swinging an axe and the inverter is a good distance away from the entry point. When the power to the house gets cut the spring loaded switch opens the circuit and makes the lines safe.

The two isolators you have DC999 are probably one for each string, but I couldn't say for sure without seeing it.

but those switches are manual, anyhow each to their own, in the grand scale of costs they were not going to bankrupt me and I couldn't be arsed removing after grant approval

Yes, fireman switch is automated. The manual switches are likely isolators and you need those for sure.

I've already paid for it, part of the SEAI program, but I will be removing it as soon as the 2400 hits my bank and I know I'm not being inspected. A nonsense requirement, everything has an isolator switch on it and I don't want to cease generation just because the mains is off? When I'm off grid there won't be a mains at all so it has to be removed anyway.

I've so many manual switches at this stage, AC/DC I must have 6 of, one set for each PV inverter and another set for Battery Inverter, so much boxes and cabling, another one for the Zappi too actually

You could probably achieve the concept of bypassing the firefighter switch with a remotely operated transfer switch and some home automation

Basically the switch is normally on the firefighter switch output. Power cuts and solar panels are isolated, and the firefighters are safe. You still have backup power from your battery

In the case of a grid failure, after you've ensured the house is safe then you trigger the transfer switch to bypass the fireman switch and reconnect your PV

I hope it's a reasonable assumption that no-one is going to worry about their solar panels generating if the house is on fire, so you'd only trigger the bypass in the case that the house is safe

When the grid is restored then you have something which is watching the grid connection and resets the transfer switch to using the fireman switch

The transfer switch could also be wired to the smoke alarms, so if they trigger the solar is isolated as well

I see the merit in both arguments. It's a bit silly having solar and not being able to use it in a power cut. Similarly, firefighting is a difficult enough job without worrying about getting electrocuted

I think the current blanket statement of "no solar in a power cut" should be revisited and if there's a safe way to work around requirements then it should be allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

Totally agree, I will be removing mine as well soon so I can generate during power cuts. My installer said it's not even a requirement in the north just down south.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Will you be able to consume that generated PV during a power cut or will it just charge batteries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement