Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Strange comments around Leinster and rose tinted glasses. Deegan is having a good season for the team at the top of the table, along with doing well on Friday. Coombes played poor on Friday and has played three times this season for the team in 14th. Not too sure who needs to take off the glasses here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sure why not play the entire Leinster team in green for the RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

I love these contributions, starts with speculation stated as fact (Coombes defo dropped), that fact leads to an insight..Coombes, in his misfortune as a Munster player is shown the door while Deegan (no better) gets the girl. Rassie level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Irish coaches would rather players train in camp and play against curry cup b teams than to play URC. Don’t think being sent to play South Africa a rather than a test match is a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Don’t think Bundee looked bad defensively against the All blacks. He has been terrible for Connacht though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

From what I remember, he struggled in the Maori game, positioning was poor. Got burned on the outside a number of times

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Everyone fit it will be + Beirne, POM & Hansen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Whatever about the rest, Coombes having been dropped is really not speculation, there is no other way to interpret it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This is overly simplistic, tho because 1) it's a team sport and 2) they've both played less than 50% of their respective teams games this season.

Coombes has been dropped. I'm disappointed for him. Lets hope he puts in a cracking performance on Thursday night now.

Yeah; I don't disagree. I don't think Coombes has played badly this season (he was poor on Friday night, but so was virtually everyone), that's why I think his exclusion is more to do with playing style / fit in the system rather than purely on his performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

People need to rewatch the Maori game in the summer.

I don´t recall Deegan doing that.

Coombes is a better number 8 than Deegan. However as Fresh to Death said i think in Ireland´s style Deegan slots in better for Doris. He´s unlucky. Also i don´t think Ireland can be jettisoning 115kg backrowers.

Deegan is third choice 8 for Leinster. Coombes is undisputed first choice.

He has had terrible luck with injuries at the wrong times, i think it slowed him.

The team most likely won´t change that much anyway. AF didn´t do it last year.

there is a LEinster rose tinted fan and media bias. IF Kendallan was Leinster bred we´d never hear the end of it.

come back to us when Deegan actually starts some big games.

He has a long way to go. When he can get those yards against big Toulouse packs or Maori packs then yeah maybe we´ll get a better insight.

He´s never going to do so at Leinster behind Doris. and he´s probably behind Conan as well, talent wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Deegan is third choice behind Dorris and Conan who are the 2 best 8s in the country. The 3rd best is probably Deegan(he was the best in the urc last year). Coombes has the advantage though as he doesn't have anything close in competition and gets to play in Europe.

Coombes played well against the Maoris but to say you can't recall Deegan doing that, I remember against Connacht before his injury Deegan had 26 tackles none missed, a try, assist, 18 carries for over 50 meters. Has Coombes ever been that busy?

Deegan is getting back to his best, its harsh on Coombes but he was really poor on Friday, I've never seen Deegan play as bad as that...

Connacht in the URC or the Maoris in a must win test in NZ?

The whole team was poor. How many European starts has Deegan had? people holding Coombes up to a standard that Deegan hasn´t even played at regularly.

Deegan had a good season last year and topped the URC stats against Coombes (who had bad injuries). And Deegan himself had terrible injuries.

but it think its fair to say, yes Coombes has been that busy in games.

I suppose it doesn´t matter neither are usurping Doris.

i just hope Coombes has a stormer. if its another poor game, you´d have to wonder whats happened. has the injury robbed him of something.

Yeah Deegan didn't play the Maoris because he's behind the 2 best 8s for club, if he was with Munster and Coombes was with Leinster Deegan would be first choice and Coombes 3rd. I've said before I think Deegan would probably be better off moving for his Irish career.

We're lucky to have 4 top quality 8s(and a few coming through) however as you said Dorris is in pole position with Conan right behind so Coombes and Deegan are probably looking at an Italy game at best 6 nations

Coombes played well against the Maoris but to say you can't recall Deegan doing that, I remember against Connacht before his injury Deegan had 26 tackles none missed, a try, assist, 18 carries for over 50 meters.

This must be, at least, last season, right? In which case:

Has Coombes ever been that busy?

Yes. Coombes has absolutely also had games where he's been the stand out player with comparable stats.

OK I was making the point that Deegan has played games where he's shown a very high ceiling, on last season he'd the best stats out of the Irish 8s. Has Coombes ever made more than 20 tackles in a match?

On last season he'd the best stats out of the Irish 8s.

I'm not sure how much we can read into that tho. Like, Billy Holland (a player I admire) has been in URC Teams of the Season, by way of comparison.

Has Coombes ever made more than 20 tackles in a match?

I'd be amazed if he hasn't tbh. Without looking thru the stats, one game off the top of my head is the Leinster game where he got injured last year; he had 14 tackles in his ~20 odd minutes on the pitch.

Equally, you could ask has Deegan ever scored 4 tries in a game? You can make that argument both ways.

I'm not disagreeing Deegan has a high ceiling. My only point is that, even tho Coombes has been dropped, he has his merits too. And I think the suggestion that he's never been as busy in a game as your Deegan v Connacht example, isn't accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yes. Coombes has absolutely also had games where he's been the stand out player with comparable stats

Devil's advocate etc; have Coombes' stand-out performances been in the more mundane URC games? Maybe I'm being hard on him but I've never come away from a Leinster-Munster game thinking "wow, I wish he had Gavin Coombes", or likewise in a European knock-out game?

Like, we're focusing on this one dropping, but equally he's 25 next months and has 89 minutes of test rugby against USA and Japan on his CV.

I don't necessarily think so, tbh.

From memory he was injured for the Exeter and Toulouse game last year, but was good against Toulouse and very good against Clermont in the empty stadiums the year before. The year before that, we had CJ and Coombes wasn't a starter, iirc.

With regards Munster v Leinster, his best performance was last season where he got injured mid-game. (I went back to check the stats, he had 22m off 6 carries and 14 tackles in 27 minutes; he was our best player on the pitch before he got injured).

• Advertisement

He was absolutely stellar against Toulouse in Thomond in the lost QF during COVID tbf.

Yeah fair enough, they're both good players you have put in big performances

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

I would go this week, lowry, balacoune, McCloskey, Ringrose, O'Brien, carberry, JGP, Conan, VDF, prendergast, Henderson, Treadwell, bealam, herring, porter.

Post edited by Iamabeliever on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

There was also a Leinster/Munster League knockout game where Coombes was a standout. Maybe three seasons ago or something? Munster played poorly overall, but Coombes had a lot of standout moments.

Those New Zealanders are pretty good. They test you in ways others don't because they marry physicality with technique and an innate understanding of the game. Coombes tried to physically dominate by just running straight. They're too good for that and took advantage by putting in hugely physical and technically excellent tackles. I think Coombes is a smart enough rugby player. We wouldn't see such good handling and awareness of space from him if he wasn't. Hopefully he'll try to exploit soft shoulders a bit more in future. I don't even know if that's the right way of putting it. It's not as if he usually just runs straight into defenders. He just looked a bit slow on his feet on Friday. Can he get a bit more nimble? Doris is excellent at twisting and turning and shifting his weight so he can eke out extra metres because the tackler can't get a firm grip on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Furlong, Sheehan, loughman, ryan, deegan, Crowley, blade, Keenan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ultimately Coombes was pretty dreadful against New Zealand last week and clearly the coaches think that's more important than URC games. The whole team being poor isn't really an excuse when a handful of players, including Deegan managed to look a bit more competent. The team being poor also doesn't get Coombes pushed back 5+ yards from the base of a scrum.

Deegan came on when the game was, essentially, over as well tho. Disappointed for Coombes tho, thought he was probably our best player vs the Maori in the summer, and hope he has a stormer now this Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Players being dropped when they put on **** show performances and looking like theyre not motivated when playing in an Irish jersey is perfectly fine by me. Coombes got 1 on 1 man handled multiple times by NZ backrowers and had nothing in response, its ok to get your body position wrong occasionaly but you have to be able to bounce back and get that back by dishing the same back on your opponent the next chance you get. Coombes got mauled and then stayed quiet for the whole game.

And to be fair Coombes is getting all the attention unfairly because Timoney did absolutely nothing either, no big hits, no attempts at the jackal, no big carries...zero. When Deegan came on he looked aggressive, swithched on and hungry for work which is exactly what the starters werent showing and thus he is rewarded.

If players get repeatedly selected when not performing it sends a bad message to the players, competition is good. I'd personally have added hodnett in instead of Timoney also.

But i think they want both Penny and Hodnett getting gametime and the best way to do that is Hodnett vs SA 'a' and maybe Penny off the bench for Fiji.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Coombes is getting all the attention unfairly 

Not really, Coombes is 'getting the attention' because he's been dropped from the squad, while all the other underperformers have been kept, hence the speculation.

Advertisement