Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

It's a ridiculous and infantile notion but I'm guessing it all feeds into the notion that Russia, practicing restraint and mercy needs to take off the gloves and show the satanists the true measure of God's work. Or something like that. But as a keen watcher of the Russian currents affairs shows, the propaganda feels like its splintering in all sorts of incoherent directions. But perhaps that's intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

But as a keen watcher of the Russian currents affairs shows, the propaganda feels like its splintering in all sorts of incoherent directions. But perhaps that's intended.

There must be more people over here watching those shows than Russians themselves at this stage!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's more aimed at the populace beyond the major cities and the middle aged and up. A punch and judy show for the uninformed and the stupid. Masturbatory fantasies to make the thick feel better and rev up the rural types where many if not most of the conscripts are herded up. Russian Fox news in essence. Russian "elites" know it's utter bollocks. A goodly proportion of whom bought off a few UK politicos and huge gaffs and other investments.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

Russian propaganda is not designed to "uncover the real truth" or convince someone that what Putin is doing is good. It has that effect on some stupid people, but most Russians do not believe the propaganda. But the Russian propaganda works very well in confusing and disuniting people. An average Russian does not believe anything -- they think that the Western propaganda is as bad as the Russian one; the war is bad, but there is nothing can be done; "I am against the war, but the majority wants it, I cannot be against it", it's better not to rock the boat -- that Putin is mad and will start throwing nucs about, etc.

Thats because the Russians are losing and Ukraine is in a good position to negotiate back their occupied areas.

Only ones thats not going to be happy,Is Russia.

And i doubt Ukraine will give in to any Russian demands

• Advertisement

Even judging by the young audience and few crippled soldiers at Solyov's (sp) deranged rant posted yesterday even the audience knew he was talking BS. The audience were for the most part dead behind the eyes. Whoever the message is for it's not for the educated, bright young things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I have no problem with a peace agreement that involves Russia leaving all Ukrainian land, paying reparations and Ukrainian security being guaranteed which is what Zelensky wants and which Russia have refused to even countenance until now (and I assume will continue to refuse). I suspect they will only accept it when it becomes even clearer that they have lost on the battlefield.

If Ukraine gets everything they want why would they continue fighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

There will be no one happier than the clique here when a peace deal is hammered out, which Zelensky is happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

A deal like that won't happen and you can quote me on that. What will happen imo is Russia back to pre Feb borders and a guarantee of Crimea to be left in Russian control. It doesn't matter what Zelensky wants it's what Biden wants.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It'll be down to geopolitics and The Money. Always follow the money. Neither Ukraine nor Russia are in good positions, though Russia is in a slightly better one.* They hold Ukrainian territory, especially Crimea and Donbas, the land bridge between them still up for grabs. China has told putin to cool his jets over nukes, the US has told him in no uncertain terms to cool the same jets and both will leverage him and Russia. Ukraine are reliant on Western help and they're getting it and even if things shift in the US the lend lease thing will still be in play. Even so there will be back channels looking for ways out of this. It's costing money, especially for the EU and Russia.

The US and the Chinese will be doing the best out of this. The US get to watch Russia and putin look like fools and for an absolute bargain price. Over the long term Ukraine will do well out of this horror too. The EU will move away from Russia and reliance on fossil fuels overall, which is good for Europe and the planet and will make money helping rebuild Ukraine for entry into the EU. Ukraine can't but improve radically now the beady eye is on them. Any more corruption shenanigans and support will dry up as quickly as it came.

Very early on in this thread I reckoned that Russia would keep the two main parts of Donbas and that Crimea is effectively off the table come negotiations and unless something radical happens like a collapse of Russian forces, or a mini coup in Russia, or the fear of a mini coup in Russia, I'd be still sticking by that.

*on the battlefield, fúcked elsewhere. This is Russia's last gasp of empire, their Suez Crisis of sorts. Europe has turned her back on her, NATO has grown, Ukraine will end up in the EU in time(though not NATO) and their "friends" in BRICS have seen them demoted, while the world has seen whatever image of "superpower" they had left is broken.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

An electrical substation is on fire in Yasynuvata

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Still waiting on your "highly likely" Russian attack on British infrastructure. Your record for calling the beginning of things is questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A link to Biden stating he want's to let the Horde keep what it had before invading, since you are claiming to know his thoughts. Or are you just making it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭Guffy

"Authorities in Transnistria asking Moscow to help with natural gas supply"

How does that work?

At the end of the day its Ukraine that makes the decisions,not US nor China.

Ukraine will do whats best in their interests,and if it means continue the war,so be it.

I doubt Ukraine will give in to any Russian demands,regardless of what the west propose.

There is no way the russian economy can keep this up for much longer either,and Russia is running low on missiles, tanks and other valuable equipment,and have lost many troops lately in suicide attacks.

And the moral amongst russian troops have gone even worse than before.

And winter is coming,thats why i suspect Russia wants to negotiate,because their troops are poorly equipped for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

I would have thought that NATO membership is a must for Ukraine, or at least the freedom to join if accepted. Russia has not only thrown away any right to object to it, it has demonstrated clearly how necessary NATO membership is if there's to be any meaningful guarantee of Ukrainian sovereignty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Slow news day, eh? That’s like saying an electrical substation is on fire in Darver.

ETA, Darver is a very small village outside Dundalk where the OP’s signature says he is, and Dundalk has a similar population to Yasynuvata.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

At the very least sanctions should remain until Russia clears out and returns the stolen children.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Ukraine can indeed make all the decisions they like, but they need to back them up and need major help from their backers to do so. Their clear heroism and clearly superior tactics still need that support. Them's the facts and realities. Let's face it Russia's economy has apparently been two weeks away from collapse since March and they were running out of bullets too. Yet here we are. They ran away from Kyiv and the north east and were routed in the north Donbas too, but they do hold a large chunk of the south east of that country and are going to be very hard to root out, especially since putin claimed those territories. Remember when we were saying in support of Ukraine that defenders lose fewer troops than attackers? Well that goes both ways. If Ukraine can push them to the "border" of Crimea and drive them back towards Mariupol - and I do think they could do that - then great, but IMHO the two easterly Donbas regions are lost for the moment and Crimea isn't realistically on the table.

Again IMHO the only way Ukraine gets officially into NATO is if the Russian leadership changes and changes radically. putin is a git, but the ones most likely to replace him wouldn't go for that either. I say officially. I can see an agreement whereby Ukraine gets some protection from NATO without actually being in NATO, so the Russians can "save face" and they need that more than anything.

Oh I think sanctions will remain. Or rather some might be lifted "officially", if there's some geopolitical advantage, but a large percentage of business and political interests will not engage with Russia again for a long time.

• Advertisement

Well remember the war started in 2014,and Ukraine fought alone before any western help arrived,and they will probably do the same again with or without western help.

If they negotiate now,and come to a peace deal,you will give Russia the time they need to build up for another invasion,and Ukraine knows this.

Its Chechnya all over again,and Chechnya won the first war,but Russia came back and leveled Grozny after and won the second war.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Still waiting for he’s “Highly likely attack on the UK” prediction which must be over 2wks at this stage.

The same poster constantly comes up with crazy outlandish claims without any foundation and is best ignored.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

EOQRTL threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

I have a few suggestions regarding what the Russians can do with their "face" at this point.

All a weasel-worded agreement would achieve is a breathing space for Putin to try unfcuk his army, and possibly his nukes, to continue the salami-slicing later, one it was established that stuffing a territory with your own citizens then invading that territory citing faux-concern for their well-being, was now an acceptable means of territorial expansion.

Unfortunately with the US House and Senate about to be stuffed with politicians on Putin's payroll, Ukraine may well have to swallow some bitter medicine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well indeed. So I am not sure why you think Ukraine saying they will negotiate under those terms fundamentally changes anything.

Also Zelensky is not going to just do whatever Biden wants. He has his own electorate to worry about.

Russia is fecked. There is no doubt about that. This war fecked them and then rolled them over and fecked them again. However they still have skin in the game. For the moment and the politics will take more and more over as the war trudges on. Now if Ukraine can blast through to Crimea that'll give them far more international leverage and they do need that.

Even if US politics goes nuts, as usual, Biden's lend lease arrangement is still in play and if push comes to shove he can sign off on an executive order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Big explosions reported in Kramatorsk

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Why is it bollix .

Scratch that just seen your reply to the other poster.

We know the Russians are losing hundreds of men per week, possibly 1200 per month,and yet they aren't gaining anything,we were told possibly by yourself (apologies if I'm wrong) of how the Ukrainans were in retreat a few weeks ago,and yet they still hold the likes of bakhmut and other towns the Russians keep chucking poorly trained and equipped men at highly trained and motivated Ukrainians .

It makes zero sense in this day and age

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I seen that the Russians gave Iran 140 million dollars and several AT4s , javelins and other launchers to the Iranians in return for drones to use against Ukraine .

Been offline for a few days, slightly behind the latests .

• Advertisement

Iran is known for copying and reverse engineering western weapons

Javelins will be a challenge however,with over 200 semi conductors,good luck with that.

Thats alot of washing machines,lol

AT4 is just a recoiless single shot rifle,nothing new really,old tech

I would say most advanced western tech use semi conductors in the fire control and guidance,hard to copy or reverse engineer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement