Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Same as that myself.Pics below are my 46mm Hamilton on my wrist when I was about 5st heavier and then my current weight which is still heavy build.The 46 used to wear like a 42mm does now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Its a small world I suppose. Here is the same watch on two different positions on the wrist same effect. The difference is fairly minimal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Yeah I like it so far, I went into Sheerans to look at one and was told they had none and all incoming allocated for next year.

Got chatting to another sales assistant who had a 42 put by for someone, he allowed me to try it for size.

I ended up buying a mint used 2021 from adverts for 2/3 the RRP 😊

That’s the point ceramic to ceramic is pretty much the same regardless of wrist position. A pre ceramic to a ceramic is a good size difference

Sheerans are great but there always seems to be a shortage of stock. I don’t how they are going to fill the new boutiques

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Plus some of the older sub bracelets just feel a bit too light and rattly. They may actually be thinner than the newer ones too, but I found that even just the feel of them can make the watch feel underwhelming and insubstantial when you try them on.

@Fitz II is my memory playing up? Or am I right in remembering you own a Kevin O'Neill piece or 2?

Nearly certain it was you but with search here as borked as my memory these days? Who knows 🤷‍♀️

Anyway, if it is yourself? Now might be the time to adjust the insurance.

The great man himself has passed away. I could wax lyrical regarding his work and how much some comics affected the younger Banie's world view.

But? 2000ad say it all far better than I could hope to.

Thats sad news, yeah your memory is good, I have a Marshal Law original. I am a big 2000ad fan (or more accurately a Dredd fan) and my Brother got it for me for my 40th. He had a reasonable innings at 69 but I think we would all like a bit longer than that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah no. Yeah 69 is no age at all. I've a couple of 2000AD Dredd original art from the 70's(I had more but they got given away as presents down the years), but sadly no O'Neills. I loved his stuff. I do remember one of the very earliest issues of 2000AD before it got traction one of the sent in "readers drawings" was clearly done by him. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Look at this thin wristed beta cuck. i have recoloured to improve 😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rolex absolutely transformed the quality of their bracelets over the last twenty years. They went from extremely meh, almost regardless of the price point to the best bracelets out there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭893bet

I would love some rose gold in my life.

A Lange of some sort with a black face, or a Breguet. Or even a Daytona on oyster as an outside left field choice.

Breguet is where its at for your collection, but maybe a bit of a modern watch like the Daytona would spice it up????

The fact that breguet is part of the swatch group spoils them a bit for me .Don’t know why but once a brand is in a “ group” I feel they loose something special or their uniqueness .

The Breguet I want is only in yellow sadly. And I just feel it would be a mistake. The white one is an option.

Yeah but I don’t have a VC , Lange & Patek in my collection so the Cartier fits in .You going for “group “ watches will be a slippery slope.Next you’ll be wanting one of my Tudors…

Lange is Richmond owned!

And so is VC……so would fit in nice beside your new Cartier…..

Shows what I know so 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

A @Wibbs special! This popped up in a search I've saved on Chrono24, think you may already have a version of it IIRC?

https://www.chrono24.com/lip/montre-mach-2000-chrono-dark-master-670080--id26138861.htm

I do indeed. The original 70's time only one. The original 70's chronographs are a little pricier than that, when they come up. The reissues IIRC are smaller, more wearable. There was a previous attempt to bring them back in the 90's and those ones were smaller again. The originals are huge. The one I have is one of the only watches I have where normal people will actually notice and ask questions about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I'm not surprised you get asked about it, they're certainly distinctive!

I don't know that I could rock a rose gold one in that I'm basically a knacker with a few watches and haven't the classy wrist nor gravitas needed to carry off gold without someone either screaming fake or stolen 😂

But I would seriously consider a titanium or steel Breguet XXI, it's a watch that's always caught my eye and I'd certainly buy one over a Daytona.

But for 893, the rose gold would honestly slot beautifully in to his collection but I'd hate to have to choose what he'd need to drop to fit it in 🤔

I'm leaning towards my next watch being something with an interesting dial, 2 Sinn have caught my eye on that front, the Damaszener and the Meister Bund. I need to broaden my buying horizons from Sinn tbh.

Post edited by banie01 on

Interesting dial you say ?Have to look at Grand Seiko in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Just wondering is Catawiki a safe place to purchase a watch? It keeps popping up on my instagram, there is some cheap deals on there which has me thinking it is a bit dodge!

I've seen them pop up on mine recently too. Lots of low priced Citizen, I haven't clicked through or investigated further. If memory serves tho from something I saw a few years ago when selling some collectibles, they take a cut of both sides of the sale. Sellers fee and a buyer's commission charge.

Oh believe me, there's a couple on the radar.

On a completely different note. My Omega GMT is due a service. Contact with Omega has been painfully slow and a bit scattershot. 1 message saying they'll send a box, then another after I confirmed my address to say no they aren't doing that anymore.🤷‍♀️

At this point I'm not too pushed about the 2yrs warranty on the service. I will probably send it on to John O'Donohoe.

The word was that Omega are replacing the whole bezel FOC on any of the 2535 that they were servicing. I suppose I'll just have to buy a new bezel insert and let John work his magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

I left an omega with weirs for a warranty repair, which apparently is prioritised over regular servicing. Left it with them in August and it still isn’t back, was due to ship back last week. Lady in weirs was saying 6 months for non warranty service.

Thanks for that Neil. I'd heard their turnaround time was running very long alright. I've used John before and have no qualms about doing so again. They only downside is not getting a new bezel 😉

• Advertisement

A question for @Wibbs and the other weirdos like myself who are a fan of the Heuer Bund.

I've just been offered a Kemmner homage which is in good condition and is a far more faithful repop than HKeD's model.

Is it a worthwhile buy? To fill that last spot in my 12 box 😂

I've been talking to John O'Donohoe and will be sending him on my Omega GMT for service and my IWC bracelet for a polish and brush as it is in fairly rough condition.

Advertisement