Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental HEO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MaryRyan48

Awh thanks, I'm delighted 🥳

Also just re read the email I got from PAS and they said they would be in touch next week about clearance!! Anyone any idea how long it is from clearance to actually starting in a role?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MBOS

Hi All - does anyone know how long it takes from passing the interview to being assigned? TIA 😊

@MaryRyan48

@MBOS

A colleague from my place went through clearance in last batch of interviews. It's taken about 5 weeks to start in new HEO role. A date has to be agreed between both departments before you can be released if that is the case. They were placed low teens after interview. You should get paid as a HEO once you sign the acceptance letter though.

Hope that helps.

I've my interview Monday Week.

Brilliant, thank you so much! The extra funds would be very nice before Christmas 🙂

Best of luck with the interview, fingers crossed for you 👍🏻

Also do you know if you find out what department you are offered before or after clearance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 TedS2017

Congratulations to all that got placed. I'm still in shock I got placed and in the top 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Miss.Susie

One of my colleagues said that they called 1-10 in Mayo for interview. They’ve definitely started for Mayo, I interviewed last week and got results yesterday.

@MaryRyan48

Find out after clearance.

Thank you. Appreciate that.

Best of luck in your new role.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aidan198787

Hi everyone,

can someone clarify one thing for me please. I have my interview coming up. Do I need to answer every question in the interview with a star example even after giving my main example of the competency? I’m unclear of this. I’ve failed one of these before and I’m not sure if it was because I have my competency and then just answered the follow up questions within that competency as normal. Essential do most answers in these interviews need to be answered with the star method??? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GinaMc2021

Hi, ideally have an example for each competency prepared using the STAR method. However, you will see from previous posts here that the interview panel fire questions out and cut accross when you are answering, this is not necessarily a bad thing as it is them putting you in the right direction, but it does mean that you wont always be able to fully answer using the STAR method as you wont have time to.

Also for yourself and anyone else going for interview be sure to have a very solid Leadership example prepared as afew people from my department failed on this competency, and it was also mentioned in previous threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 dec1612

"Oh One of my colleagues said that they called 1-10 in Mayo for interview. They’ve definitely started for Mayo, I interviewed last week and got results yesterday"

@ miss.susie ...great to know...how was your Interview? Hope you were successful...if so where were you offered??

I was just wondering if anyone who has already been successful for Dublin would give an indication of what Department they were placed in, or does anybody have any information about where the next round of offers for Dublin may be for? Thanks

@GinaMc2021

Department of Health, I know a few got placed in from the last batch!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 liverbird1

Wonder if anyone doing interviews for Cork next week? Or are they starting soo?

Great thank you, have you WFH 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Busle

Does anyone know, how many were interviewed for Westmeath.?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ber25

Are the interviews for each batch held over 2 or 3 weeks? Also how many in each batch from Dublin. Just wondering if I'll be called before Christmas

Judging from these threads and my colleagues that were interviewed, it seems to be run in 2 week batches. Realistically would only interview appropriately 5 candidates a day when think about it time wise

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jewel22

Has anyone here had their interview for Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lorkyporky

If we passed the interview for Dublin, will we have to re-interview for our other chosen location?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi, no we will just be given an oom from PAS when they interview for that county

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Maryirish1

Congratulation's to all who got through.

Can anyone tell me any news on Clare/Limerick interviews - i emailed pas a good while back and nothing happening

to be boring again can anyone give a steer on the presentation/report topics, have been reading the thread and getting nightmares about this. bad enough preparing for interview and only having 7 days to write the thing up.

I'm thinking Clare/limerick will be the last on list which makes the waiting even worse.

Thanks for all your news to date, much appreciate.

Hi there, when it comes to the presentation topics, there aee several different ones which are sent out, colleagues of mine were in the same batch as me and we were given different topics.

The topics are all pulled from the Programme for Government, and they give you 3 and you choose one and pick a Department to write it as you are working from, its probably easier to choose your own Department.

While you cant really prepare much for the presentation until you get the topics, I'd advise you to print the Programme for Government and read the introductions ect so you have a good feel for it so starting the report wont be too daunting then.

As others have said, use this time to prepare for the actual interview andd have very strong examples, its a tough interview but if you put the work in you will be fine, so use your time wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Kerry987

Try not to stress about the presentation. I couldn’t do the presentation from the point of view of my own Department which was very daunting and obviously out of my comfort zone but I explored and researched the topics and picked the one I felt most comfortable with. Then it’s all about thinking like a HEO, don’t get me wrong you should do research on your topic and have a good knowledge and background of it but really they just want to see how you as a HEO can make a difference, put forward ideas, manage a team and a project. So keep that in mind when you get your presentation topics and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

Sorry if these questions seem daft but

Should you do the presentation standing or sitting?

Do you have a copy of the report on the desk/laptop in front of you?

I'm not using Power point slides.

and for the interview part, do you have a copy of your application on the desk.

IN previous interviews I would always have a copy of my form and ask if it was ok to resort to it if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lorkyporky

I did my presentation sitting down, I felt the big thing for this was, if possible, not to be reading something at them. Try to talk 'to them' as opposed to 'at them' and be as engaging as possible. This was nerve wracking for me but I found it very helpful to record my presentation and listen back to it numerous times to become more comfortable with the content in it. I also did a test run for 2 co-workers (my HEO and AP) as a practice and found this very helpful.

I used a power-point to guide me along, just high level bullet points that I was then able to expand on. Didn't have the report on my desk or laptop in front of me and similarly didn't have the application in front of me either.

For my presentation, I also came up with a new idea which wasn't listed in the PFG but still fitted under my heading. I don't know if this helped me to achieve a quite high mark in the presentation as they could see I was thinking somewhat outside the box and coming up with something novel.

Best of luck when you sit the interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Maryirish1

HI GinaMc2021 Kerry987 and Lorky.

thanks a mill for your advise, will get on to PFG asap.

Might save my bacon

Best of luck with your new posts

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Kittykat6

Had my interview and presentation today, found it tough, the questions just kept coming!! it went on for 72 minutes! have to say I was completely drained afterwards. hard to judge how it went! Just glad it's over now .Anyone else had theirs this week?, any idea when we will get results?

Does anyone know if they are currently interviewing for Kildare?

• Advertisement

@Kittykat6

Well done on getting through Interview. Massive accomplishment. 👏

I have mine next Monday😁🫣. I've submitted my report. I decided against slides as I didn't want the stress of something going wrong. It's all about preparing for the quick fire questions now.

I think this week and next week are in the same batch so reckon it could be the week after but that just an educated guess.

Advertisement