Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Have it on everywhere except at home (have home cameras). Have turned it off overnight in hotels once or twice in places where chargers were scarce as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Don't use it unless parked in strange/dodgy place

You can turn it off or on very easily and it remembers the geo location of where you turn it off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They are not standard wheels coated. That’s a MYP. The callipers are factory too.

I use it all the time. It’s permanently on. There is a setting in the screen to turn it off at home, work or a favourite location or locations which you can add from the nav screen.

I have it off at home due to house cctv but on everywhere else.

The only time I’d consider turning it off if it was parked up off site for 2 weeks not plugged in as it can use 10% per day if busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Unfortunately its all or nothing. I wish there was a Sentry 'light', similar to my last car's twin camera system where you could set it to just record if the car got a jolt, handy for leaving if going off for a while on hols and only used about 3% or less of battery a week.

I use Sentry all the time when parking away from home/work providing not more than about 8 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I had sentry on whilst on holidays last month, used 6%-8% a day, I wasn't bothered by drain as I had car at home hooked up to PV panels so it just kept topping up with excess solar power

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I emailed Tesla last night about a 100 euro refund from last years cancellation, they got back to me already and il have it in ten days, thanks to those who brought this to my attention

kind regards

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

I’ll get back in my box, on closer inspection that are not the geminis 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mun1

Test drove MY in cork today. LR in MSM. 221 reg 19’ Gemini wheels

i deliberately brought it into the back roads around Douglas as i wanted to see if the ride was harsh on backroads.

Well, it wasn’t , and i was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled itself on the backroads. Bit if a rattle somewhere near back seats but not annoying

my current car is an Audi Q4 and i have to say the handling of the MY on the backroads was exceptional .

Pros:

very well fitted seats and extremely comfortable driving position

cabin finished to very high standard

legroom in rear seats is huge.

Tech is very very good compared to Audi. (Auto tailgate, auto dimming side mirrors, revering camera, dual zone climate, 4 x USB C, heated seats front and rear, electric front seats, auto high beam lights

car feels very nimble & light to drive and seems to glide along effortlessly (steering was in comfort mode )

interior finish is at least the level of the Audi Q4 (but Q4 interior finish is a step below my previous Q5, A5, A6)

very responsive car to drive and plants itself well through Bends.(better than Q4)

boot is bigger than Q4, but not by a huge amount.

sunroof is class.

Cons

regen is set very high which take getting used to.

not having speedo in front of me will take getting used to .

everything on the big screen

ride was a bit harsh when during over potholes (which i deliberately did ) but not jarringly so as others have said.

i will have to wait at least 4 months for mine to be delivered :)

no rear parcel shelf (but i think this is there on new models delivered)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Yeah, parcel shelf on new cars now. Nice review... So......

What colour are you getting 🤔.

There could be a boatload of blue ones coming at this stage 💙

Welcome to the waiting room!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

does anyone have a tesla charger? what did you put in the seai grant? there is no tesla charger, so im thinking other>other ?

Great review,

The two things that worried me when getting my Model 3 were the off centre speedo and the full on regen. I did get used to one pedal driving quickly and am quite happy now with it. Though I do like the VW auto regen.

For me the speedo is not a problem either, was driving my wifes Ioniq 5 the other day and the speedo is at the left of the big screen behind wheel, so not that much difference to Tesla.

One thing I miss when driving other EV’s is the Tesla regen. You not only get used to it, you use it it to its full advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Totally - it's a wonderful system.

Adjustable on the screen anyway if it's too harsh - 3 settings from memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

Batteries and motors I would think only and even there that would be an sub assemble of sourced components from suppliers. In the the vehicle production line that again is assembly of sub components. Car factories are only assembly lines in reality nothing is really made bar sticking the car together.

Only one level on the Model 3 RWD, not sure about the new Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Irish Tesla insider who has been more right than wrong with recent news on the Model Y, that was not in the public domain, told me today the RWD Model Y ordered here today will come from China and the first shipments are expected mid February.

He told me at some point I think in September that Model Y RWD would be available to order within days. It was. He also told me it would be qualifying for the grant, initially it didn't, but then a few weeks later (on Friday October 14th) it did. So he has form.

Is that likely to have an improved suspension on say the model Y which would have been ordered this time last year or must we wait until they are built in Berlin ?

It's been mentioned a few times in the last few pages, the suspension on the Chinese made cars has also already been improved. But the cars in Ireland today still have the old suspension, so beware when doing a test drive. The car you're getting will be much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

FYI Thanks for the help, I managed to get my order canceled and deposit returned (or they say it will) fairly easily today.

Best of luck to all of you with your cars, looks like there will be a lot showing up in Jan/Feb!

Yes it is, although nobody knows what the exact differences are in the suspension systems between the Berlin, Shanghai and Texas / Freemont factories. The latter suspension is now called "comfort suspension" - Musk said it improved comfort without affecting handling.

Edit - ha! we do know. All Model Y now have the comfort suspension, Germany got them for their very first Model Y production, China a bit later, and the USA came last. Now that is very good news indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does anyone know what's the boot capacity up to the parcel shelf?

854 litres to the glass, so I'm guessing around 700 to the shelf?

I actually didn’t get to drive the Y in sandyford last December ( they weren’t allowing it with the left hand drive) but I did get to drive the 3 and loved it , it’s too low for me though, I’m tall and have a slightly duff back so the Y more suitable, I did sit in the red Y that was on site , loved it , incredible space

I cancelled my Y order as comments by motoring press re_ suspension were so damning, with that now corrected and a cheaper Y now available, I’m very glad I cancelled last year

Yeah, a lot of folk that don't "need" the LR or P have done great with the price drop and fair play to Tesla on pricing, they hold order price but pass on savings if the price ever drops.

I'd say we'll see a flurry of Y sales in the first half of next year from China and then Tesla will put the price up a few grand to where it should be i.e. a premium over the 3

Is there any bookie taking bets on the Model Y being the best selling car globally next year? I'm no gambling man, but I'd put a few quid on that in case that miracle would happen 😂

You used the word car else I would have taken that bet (F150)

F150? Maybe in the USA, but surely not globally. There won't be the demand and Ford won't be able to make a million of them per year. For reference, the Toyota Corolla was the world's best selling car last year with 1.1 million sold.

Maybe someone has the Tesla planned global production figures for 2023 at hand? Could it be roughly 2 million in total of which more than half the Model Y?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Isn't Model 3 going to be 3rd and Model Y 6th this year. Not bad for a startup 😁

Advertisement