Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

I watched the vid,I actually agree with a lot of what he's saying but you can't disassociate the crazy nonsense he's come out with previously and consistently with the fact that now he's hit on a big story that's actually true.

Also there's no doubt there has been blatantly underhanded tactics from Breaffy house and the council from the beginning.The whole community is in shock and seething at the same time,this guy and a rent a mob are not the right direction to go with this.Breaffy Community Council has already disassociated themselves from this "meeting"

I don't speak for the people of Breaffy and neither does this guy,that's for sure.If he's lived in Breaffy for 30 years,that's news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Purity tests like this, are why you'll go nowhere but bitching on boards. Everyone on the same side of the issue that you are isn't going to be spotless. People on boards always want the perfect allies, but you'll never find them because they don't exist. You're really no better than the other side, who demand that everything is inline with their own sensibilities.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I agree with you.

I don't expect everyone on the same side of an argument as me to have the same views on everything, that would be naive and dumb.It would also be a reflection of online discourse where everything is broken down into two sides,you're either with us or against us.That of course is nonsense and most people will be somewhere in the middle or slightly leaning one way or the other,yet its the fringe elements that make the most noise.

However,this guys views have been so extreme on stuff that I'm finding it hard to trust him or his motives on this one event that we share similar views on,I'm conflicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Well that's the thing, I live in a county town down the road and I wouldn't know everyone living here either... Same underhanded tactics used here too, the only hotel in town had the lease taken over by an investment fund, within weeks filled with Ukrainians brought in by night, nobody allowed make any enquiries as to what was happening, even Facebook posts on local pages making even the mildest of enquiries were removed,local paper worse than useless, taxi-drivers told not to engage in conversation with the newcomers, all very clandestine, if what the hotel was doing was so noble and good one would imagine they would be shouting their deeds from the rooftops, it's all 💶💶. Anyway I'm glad the people of Breaffy and surrounding areas are being allowed to have their say whether they agree with what's going on or not and hope it all goes off without incident... When there is a dearth of information the vacuum will always be filled and mostly by the most vociferous on both sides, meetings among townspeople are the bedrock of democracy and can only be a good thing whether the Breaffy community Council want to distance themselves or not in this instance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭monseiur

People who enter this country, having destroyed their passports and other ID, should be brought directly to a secure holding center until their true identity is established and then all should be deported immediately and, if they so wish, be allowed to apply for a visa through the legal, established channels. Should they refuse to co operate then they should be held in prison indefinitely, similar to being in contempt of court, it may help soften their cough. It would act as a deterrent for future would be illegals. Also all air lines flying into Ireland should be obliged to provide immigration with detailed list of all passengers including passport details etc. We are being taken advantage of big time and are the laughing stock of the EU and the rest of the world. Billions of our hard earned taxes is being wasted on welfare tourists who have the arrogance, audacity and impudence to come here and demand the best of everything without even a simple ID No doubt some are criminals, rapists etc. on the run and it's only when a serious crime is committed that the authorities will sit up and take note. It is obvious for some time now that our current minister for justice is for not fit for purpose and is completely out of her depth - just a populist token.

• Advertisement

That's a very fair post.

I think a lot of people are in the position of supporting some sort of taking in of refugees,there's a legal and I'd argue moral obligation to do this.

In my own case I support the Ukrainians.I do think that the system is being gamed but I think that's a small minority, all systems are taken advantage of at some level.I do think that full dole etc is over the top when full accommodation/bills and meals are provided.Thats over €200 per person disposable income a week,I barely have that working 2 jobs.

However,most of these people are fleeing a war zone and would rather not be here.I have lots of interactions on an almost daily basis and their over riding want is for this to be over and go home.

I think the support for international protection " refugees is a lot thinner on the ground.I certainly don't support it in its current form.

I'm sorry to hear the same thing has happened in your town/village.As things progress it'll be every town and village in the country,it is already,some have got a worse deal than others.

The head in the sand and and underhanded approach by this current is the real shocker. Generations of social,economic, cultural,infrastructural problems have been created in the last 12 months.......we weren't even doing too great on the health,housing front before all this.

On the local front here you're right,a vacuum has been left and true information is hard to get.Im not sure what the authorities Breaffy House or indeed the community council are suggesting when they say they're hoping for some clarity in the next few days? You can drive there now (well as far as security will let you) and see whats has happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Totally agree.

All passengers should obliged to upload their passport when checking in.

Anybody who is uncooperative gets sent to live in tents in a secure area indefinately.

Was just reading about the delay to fast build/modular council houses in Dublin due to problems with labour availability and supplies, they were due to be finished in 2021 and now are expected to be finished in 2023 https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2022/1108/1333836-dublin-housing/ .

How on earth if these ones done by Sisk (who are the same ones I think have the contract for the modular elsewhere) are so delayed because of labour and supplies are the modular for the Ukranians getting built by early 2023?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

To be honest, I think if the government weren't spending the money on the hotels, it would be clear already that a lot of them are in big trouble and they would start to shut up shop.

There is no sensical reason why the government is spending hundreds of millions on this crisis, straight after COVID, unless you start to think that maybe there is a reason the government followed the COVID spending with this spending; to kick the can down the road a bit further. Hotels and hospitality in general are on life support courtesy of the government's magic money tree and maybe that is why we are seeing the Ukrainians used as an excuse to prop up certain sectors of the economy. Otherwise, as an Irish taxpayer, would you not be thinking "will my taxes be used to pay for this and therefore I won't see tax cuts due to this spending?", as I'm sure many are now wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

€135 for a 24 hour room in a Dublin hotel, with all meals and complete laundry, etc service sounds brilliant to me.

Like I said lets hope it happens.

Unfortunately I imagine they will stick to the multiply everything by 4 algorithm they have been doing for years.

But bless your heart for thinking they need an excuse or some sort of fictional baseline to price gouge.

• Advertisement

Over 3200 "international protection " refugees arrived here with no passport or ID (mostly straight into Dublin airport) this year alone.Thats about 1 in 4,let that sink in for a minute.The biggest number are Albanian followed by Georgia.

(If either of the ostriches on here are looking for a source on this its is Helen McEntee).

Passports are getting destroyed and disposed of between boarding in London and landing here,shrug of the shoulders,no questions asked and off you go into the system.

The Guards had cracked down on these chancers in 2020

What has changed? What government department ,senior civil or more likely Minister changed this policy? Who was responsible for this?

Why is this not being reported on?

Nobody can be in support of this absolute madness.

I imagine it changed because it wasn't strictly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Ireland has done enough.. RE;

"I think a lot of people are in the position of supporting some sort of taking in of refugees,there's a legal and I'd argue moral obligation to do this".

We can't keep taking them in. This open to everyone in Ukrianie policy is wrong. It is being exploited, it is a burden on this country. Enough.

There is no sensical reason why the government is spending hundreds of millions on this crisis

Of course there is, Putin is weaponizing refugees has he has done in the past, the directive was setup in part to combat a scenario like this and not overwhelm EU countries bordering Ukraine and destabilising Europe as a whole. Europe is united.

The cost is relative pittance compared to the value.

The narrative that war in Europe would be cost free to Ireland whatever we did is quite remedial.

Someone posted a figure of 1.4% rise in our Social Protection budget hardly eye watering amounts, plus there is 10,000 plus Ukrainians actually in employment, quite remarkable and hopefully inspirational for some of our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭newhouse87

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

What's illegal about enforcing airlines checking for documentation and if they don't returning to previous country ?

If the arrival has asked for asylum upon arrival then they can’t just be sent back, documents or no documents. Their status has to be determined before they can be sent anywhere, even if to their previous country. That’s the legal situation

I wonder if it’s still for sale? Shame to see it lying idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Well said, I also think with the passage of time people will find their reasoning and thought processes around these issues will have altered significantly from when the reality of what's happening first became apparent. People disassociate from those who hold supposed "extremist" views because they are afraid of being labelled themselves. When and if things get bad enough you won't care about being associated with people with supposed "extreme" beliefs. If they're acting in best interests of community and not intending to cause harm to anyone, then they should be supported.

The amount of NIMBYS is worrying. What are ye afraid of? Different cultures are very enriching. We can learn a lot from them. Try it. You won’t be sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Kildare FM reporting there was a protest at Kill Equestrian Centre last night. People have had enough. If you disagree with what is happening, make sure you get out if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Would that not be seen as a bit racist though?

Post edited by Real Donald Trump on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

People have had enough.

Just for shìts n giggles, I looked up that protest, organised by a group calling themselves “Concerned Residents of Kill” -

Six people are continuing to protest outside the gates of the former Equestrian Centre in Kill this morning, where up to 350 Ukrainian refugees are to housed.

Th 'Concerned Residents of Kill' action group have said they will protest at 9.30am and 7.30pm each day.

Last night, up to 30 people gathered for a peaceful demonstration at the same place.

https://www.kfmradio.com/news/localnews/gardai-confirm-technical-examination-at-kill-equestrian-centre-complete/

It’s not entirely clear what they’re protesting about -

The 'Concerned Residents of Kill' group will hold a protest on Monday evening at 7.30pm, beside where the fire broke out.

Residents claim the number of refugees will increase the size of the town by 10% at a time when schools and doctors’ surgeries are already under pressure and the local garda station has been closed.

Mayor of Kildare Councillor Fintan Brett, who is supporting the residents, said the concerns were that the centre is unsuitable as a home and is without lighting, ventilation and possibly without a sewerage system.

Cllr. Brett told Kfm: “It’s a mile outside the village."

“When you have a group of people that are already traumatised, mostly women and children, and they’re asked to go live in a barn, I don’t think that’s going to help their mental health," he added.

Kildare County Council has also said that the site is not suitable, and it has been previously identified as a flood plain.

https://www.kfmradio.com/news/localnews/locals-to-protest-against-the-housing-of-refugees-at-kill-equestrian-centre-following-a-fire-at-the-site-on-sunday/

Back of a napkin calculations, it appears that 1% of the village residents are protesting about… something, claiming that the village population will increase by 10%, while the other 99% of the village residents don’t appear to be all that concerned at all, certainly not concerned enough to be bothered joining the 1% of ‘concerned residents’ of the village -

Kill (Irish: an Chill, meaning 'the church') is a village and parish in County KildareIreland near the county's border with Dublin beside the N7. Its population was recorded as 3,348 people in the 2016 census.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill,_County_Kildare

Sounds to me like they’d welcome refugees joining their protest, if only to bump up the numbers 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

No I meant to where they flew from Any country can stop anyone from entering even with paperwork. OFC different if they are a citizen. You just don't allow them to leave the plane. And force the airline to return them to where they flew from. Airlines don't process Refugees.

They don't check anything when leaving a plane though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Many of us have lived and worked abroad, are bi-/multi-lingual and have had sufficiently more international exposure than you.

What people object to, is seeing our taxes wasted, supporting an unfettered influx of asylum seekers, many of whom arrive with dubious backstories and in some cases, with recently destroyed documentation.

People are not NIMBYs for objecting to a double digit % point rise in the population of their local village or town, virtually overnight. Those of us who are economically active and with young families to support, understand implicitly that resources are finite and worry about the consequences of this errant policy.

It’s a shame you’re so concerned about the prevalence of NIMBYism. I suggest you buckle up ‘MaryAnne’ as this behavior will become a feature of daily life across the entire country.

They used to back in the day That's now left to the airport end now. Airlines are supposed to check if you have valid boarding information and ID. Why I used to keep my ticket in the passport and show it on boarding.

Ah before my time so. I've never experienced that.

Are you suggesting a move back to that is it?

• Advertisement

Alan Kelly is such a hypocrite, his party is in favour of open borders, how can he object to this? Labour would be decrying it as racism for any other community to object to housing asylum seekers.

The vast majority of people know adding 70 asylum seekers to a town of 220 is nuts but its completely within Labours agenda. Every politican talks a good game about housing or asylum seekers until its proposed in their area

Advertisement