Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Here you go, from the RSA, but ye greenies know better, suppose ye will tell me the RSA are wrong.

As a cyclist, you’re a vulnerable road user and your bicycle will not protect you if you have a crash. While the law does not require you to wear a helmet, in the interest of road safety and your personal protection, you should wear one at all times while cycling. It is an essential, life-saving piece of cycling equipment. For advice about choosing and fitting a helmet, please see our Cycle safety booklet.

https://www.rsa.ie/road-safety/road-users/cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Simple because they are not effective in preventing death and serious injury. The stats are all blindingly clear.

Haha. You're calling me a greenie. Have you ever been on this thread before or seen my posts? 🤣🤣🤣 You haven't a clue bud. Going to ignore you now as you're clearly illogical and emotionally driven by your hatred of cyclists. Using the RSA is the final straw. 🤣🙈

Hatred of cyclists😀, I am an occasional cyclist,I walk everywhere, don't own a car, have solar panels, do'nt take overseas trips,and recycle with a zeal that frightens my family, I even voted GP in the past.😯

• Advertisement

How would you know that,are there stats for the wearing and non wearing of helmets in all collisions involving cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Jaysis, the flying squad from the Cycling forum are very cranky today!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No it was the perma cranky anti wokesters who brought up poxy helmets in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

That's quite a bizarre statement about "cars." Last I checked cars were inanimate objects that didn't do anything unless someone uses it to go somewhere. Maybe I'm wrong though and as your bizarre statement implies, all of the cars belonging to people in Ireland come to life every week, get together and decide collectively who they're going to kill?

For reference, Ireland has an objectively excellent safety record, in both absolute and relative terms. Road fatalities occur at a rate of I think less than 3 per billion kilometres driven by any kind of motor vehicle, be that involving drivers of cars, trucks, buses etc. https://etsc.eu/14th-annual-road-safety-performance-index-pin-report/

When last the RSA published statistics, there were 2.5 million Full Category B drivers licenses in the State, and a total just over 2.8 million counting other license categories (motorcycle, truck etc) and learner permits. So I'm not sure how - on the basis of evidence - one can conclude that there is "Not strong enough legislation for cars"

As to cargo bicycles, I'm concerned. I used to be a daily pedestrian in Ireland's major cities and most every day I had to deal with lawbreakers on two wheels bulldozing me out of their way on the footpath and forcing me to negotiate with them at green-man crossings. What will it be like with lawbreaking cyclists using the footpath as their personal racetrack with these yokes. 😫 Going to be fun times for pedestrians.

• Advertisement

Law breaking cyclists are harmless that's the thing, it's only idiots in cars killing and maiming pedestrians

Are you being deliberately obtuse or do you not just understand the point? Hard to know. I bet you thought that was all brilliant in your head though I'm sure. When you have to make up nonsense to "prove" your point, you don't really have a point to begin with. Also love the fact you've been "bulldozed" by someone on a bike. Any other nonsense you want to throw out there? You're on a roll bud.👍🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

There are a lot of "cars" (and also the drivers that own them) in this country. Millions. My question is how many of them are you falsely blaming for road fatalities? The more than 99.5% of "cars" (and their drivers) that will never be even involved in a fatal incident let alone the cause of one? All of them? As one of that 99.5+%, I wonder if you could be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Have you ever been hit by a person on a bike. Can be quite nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Some stink coming from all the junkies in the city centre anyways I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

It has been clear for some time that the leaders of the EU have tied themselves to the UN sustainable development plan and implementing in full the Paris agreement and the IPCC AR recommendations. Taking a look at the 'a vision on Industry 2030'..Green Deal' makes that clear and the implimentation is tied to increased centralised control by the EU. The latest pronouncements by EU leaders during COP 27 underpin that. But it is, just like the IPCC, full of contradictions. They speak of 'light touch regulation' while on the other hand promoting strong hand regulation. And then, take a look at the section in the attachment. Under the header 'green industry' it clearly says a fund will be raised to go ' beyond the deployment of non regrettable technologies (renewables) WHICH ARE NOT SUFFICIENT FOR A NET ZERO CARBON EMISSIONS ECONOMY'.

So, they bloody well know this yet continue to push the IPCC button. It remains an article of faith by this religious cult and deviants are seen as heretics. Children will be educated ( indoctrinated) by faith leaders (which includes the Pope) to continue feeling the original sin of people even existing on the planet. This self hate death squad has to be stopped. We HAVE to vote these people out. And this is where i get depressed. The new body snatchers have taken over. This mind virus has managed to infiltrate almost every mainstream politician and media outlet. The new inquisition is on a war path against 'misinformation' putting things into law with courts and judges and punishments. It really IS that bad.

The only highlight i see is ordinary people standing up and raising there voices. This **** is hitting the fan. I have changed my Euros into more stable currencies a while ago. Take a look at the decline of the Euro since 2008. This downward trend will get worse the longer the EU keeps on this train to the precipice. The money markets know this. They are ready to move fast if push comes to shove.

Related is the move to a european digital currency. Then it's byebye to individual countries and cash in hand. It will be tied to yr personal carbon footprint. They will be able to control you any way they see fit. Goodbye personal choice and freedom..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Speaking as a regular bicycle commuter & motorist, the rules of the road apply to everyone who uses the public highway system from pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders and motorists. They are there to ensure good order on the road and avoid misunderstandings that lead to damage, injury or death. The only thing that differs in the eyes of the law is the level of liability, the expectation is that most vulnerable road user is given most protection. If a cyclist hits a pedestrian, even if the pedestrian was wearing earphones, staring at their phone and did not look before stepping on the road, the law will hold the cyclist majorly responsible for the accident.

The most common offense cyclists commit is breaking lights (guilty) and I've witnessed several close calls where the cyclist escaped injury due to the vigilance of the motorist. This is very noticeable with the battery powered bikes favoured by the young guys from Brazil doing delivery. Before motorists start throwing stones, they break lights as well, usually at speed trying to beat the change. You can bet those middle aged men on bicycles you see breaking lights are motorists as well.

Key thing if you are a pedestrian or cyclist on the road make sure you are visible, motorists can see you and plan their actions. Nothing grinds motorists gears more than pedestrians and cyclists who can't be seen until you are nearly on top of them and have to take emergency evasive action. That's how most accidents happen.

1. Lights you need them, cyclists need them front and rear. Even in daylight when you get low sun and are hidden in the shadows they make a difference. That's why you see the trend on regular road users with the rear blinking red LEDs. The rules for cyclists are lights 30 minutes before sunset and 30 minutes after sunrise.
    2. High visibility clothing and reflective material. High visibility colors help you stand out in low light conditions, they are no good when it's dark, you need lights. Reflective material helps, often at night the only way I know pedestrians are on the cycle path ahead of me is due to reflectors on their sneakers.
    3. Don't weave around traffic and stay back from large vehicles like buses and lorries, don't filter on the inside when they are intent on turning the vehicle will come across your path. Places like Leeson street are an absolute nightmare for bus drivers to navigate at rush hour.
    4. Look and clearly signal your intention to motorists behind you in advance (not last 2 seconds), especially when overtaking parked cars in cycle lanes. Taxis drives can use the bus lanes, some of the more experienced drivers will give a friendly beep to let you know they are behind you, they know most cyclists don't look behind them to see what is around.
    5. Cyclists will have to dodge around potholes, sunken man holes and broken glass, experienced motorists will factor that in, this is why it's important that they can see you in advance.

The one serious accident I had on a bicycle occurred in daylight when the sun was setting, I was pedalling along at 35 Kmph doing my usual loop, the motorist turning right into the car park, sun was in his eyes and could not see me coming out of the shadows. I pulled the brakes, locked up the wheels and hit him at 20kmph. I flipped over the car bonnet, took out his windscreen and landed on the road breaking my collarbone and grazing knees. I had a helmet on which took the impact and broke, it did the job. Road cycling gloves prevented grazing to the hands. I only had rear lights on at the time. Bicycle was a write off, steel frame busted, as were wheels, handlebars and rear mech hanger. Painful and expensive, at least helmets do work.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Yes it is. I want that freedom. Im from Holland and really enjoy getting on my bike when im there. Without a helmet and the wind in my hair going slow to moderate speed,even in cities which are pretty save. I only wear a lightweight helmet when im going on a speed bike. In Holland bikes are everywhere, the cars are used to deal with them and very few people wear helmets. Mostly the very young learners. Holland is also mostly flat so no going downhill in great speed. It is way more tricky in Ireland. I would wear a helmet here. I stopped riding a bike. Too much hard work..

Like anything. There are no solutions, just trade offs. So, it all depends on circumstances. However, i think that if people do not want to wear a helmet they should be allowed to.

• Advertisement

It doesnt matter. The EU wants to be the Shiny Example of Holy Virtue. The Castle on the Hill. Or, the way i see it: the Serpent eating its own tail. Or: Harikiri by stealth. Or: Death Cult Jonestown style. Or: General Bulemia patients. Take yr pick..

30 years of madness since the 1992 Rio gathering. We are paying the price..

Yes, and the third world is in it for the money, really liking all the western self hate and compensating them for their carbon sin. You can see the logic there: put yr money where yr mouth is. And the west goes: yes, we sure will..kinda (looking around to spot the next exit because you know, voters at home..)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

No I make my kids wear one and I use one too, good lights and high vis in winter too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Yes, I find it all very strange, it was obvious from last week that this meeting was going to be all about paying money out, is this going to be a yearly thing from now on? on top of international aid money,?

Just putting my tinfoil hat on for a minute, but I kinda remember looking at that world economic forum website, them stating that money from the developed world will be shared out to the developing world to make us all more equal,or something to that effect,I wonder is this how they plan on doing it?

I'll see if I can dig it up,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

More best boys in Europe, the Taoiseach chucked €10 million into the Germans Global Shield against Climate Risks bucket.

Ireland had already committed to doubling its climate finance commitments to €225 million a year “not just for vulnerable countries but also those already suffering losses because of climate events”, he added. source

From a political point of view, climate is solution to a problem that can never be fixed, the taxes will never end, until that is they have wrecked the economy sufficiently that the population revolts. As a politician you can blame the weather instead of your policies.

Post edited by Pa ElGrande on

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

As usual a very logical and balanced view on Irish agriculture and COP27 by Ciaran Fitzgerald.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/ciaran-fitzgerald-cop27-and-irelands-food-vision-process/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Perhaps not in your biased view. Funny how the majority on here disagree with you.

Good on ya, the insults really add to the thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement