Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Electric Ireland.

I've put up information for one reason only - to help inform others who might be making a similar decision. You seem to be continually proving that your deal is best, which no doubt it is for you. But why keep quoting BG rates when that's not what I have been talking about?

Maybe a misunderstanding all around, but if the rates and time zones I have posted are correct for Electric Ireland (they are) then it may be best not to keep muddying the waters for others who may be interested. If you feel that's 'petulant' well so be it. Not intended that way at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Yes, sorry, I missed that before my last post. All depends on how much you want to use a night meter during the week. Everybody's situation is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,341 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sure, why not. People seem to pay about €2500 per 5kWh module? So that's a bargain €125k for 50 of them 🤣

But seriously, someone just showed me the current Energia EV plan, but that's not as shocking as their current EV smart meter plan. With a day (non peak) rate of 53c and a night rate of 28c, the only reasonable rate is the EV rate of 13c which is only valid from 2AM to 6AM. You'd really need 3ph connection, an EV that can charge at 22kW and a couple of inverters that can charge your 80kWh battery at 20kW.

At the start of this year I thought 8kwp and a 15-20kWp battery (all DIY) were already at the very top of what would pay for itself in a reasonable time (<10 years). I am already well past half way to doubling both and that might not even be the end of it.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

200kWh of free every 2 months!! So 25kWh free every weekend on average. On a normal day we use about 11kWh in our house, so that's 88kWh of free electricity gone by doing nothing extra! No way you can charge the car once a week if that's the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

Basically! 100kWh per month in the T&Cs:

Electric Ireland are on the other hand very vague - basically if they decide you are using too much free energy they can cut you off. I would hazard a guess if you were charging a typical BEV 10-100% every weekend along with batch washing, tumble drying, cooking, etc. you would be deemed to be using too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,042 ✭✭✭CoBo55

In other words, like all those smart plans, it's a con.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

Hi. I just got first Energia electricity bill having switched in September. Have a 5kw solar system and a day/night meter. Received €37 credit for exporting 208 Kw units which I'm happy with. With a day/ night meter is this likely to change in the summer months or do they average out the credit for deemed export as I presume day/night meter cannot read export.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It will be much the same on every bill as your total for the year is a fixed amount when you are on deemed export regardless of whether the sun shines or not.

Was thinking that but was hopeful it would increase in the summer months. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

That’s the formula Kev101

Ive a 5.4kwp and think they landed in €187 for the deemed export - that may have been back dated to February. Either way, better than a poke in the eye..and better than a smart meter as I don’t export much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

just out of interest, what happens if you don't take a EV deal. Also no day/night meter, smart meter but not on a smart plan. I see our rate is 44.3 c but we get 25% discount for the next 1.5 years (due to a dispute earlier this year). Would it work out cheaper.

I am looking at the BG rates, i see no big difference at all, i think our current plan would be cheaper or am i wrong?

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/our-plans

That's good going on top of the €200 from the Government. You'll be in credit for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hardee har har, n00b overpays for fancy battery box shocker. Yes I did.

Agree with the rest of the post. I was actually only thinking that (jokingly), how long until paying for 3 phase would make sense if I get lumped onto a smart meter with oonly 4 hours of good nightrate pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭fafy

Thanks to some really great advice in here, over recent months, great to see my 1st Energia bill arrive, as agreed, i switched on September 5th last, Day 29.82 Night 8.58 including vat. Bill total of €195 incl vat, for the 60 day billing period, government credit also in, so in credit by €5 for the next bill. 56 % of our usage was on night rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Would love some advice on this as looking at the same idea here.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

We have a car ordered for January hopefully. We have a smart meter but still on a standard non-smart plan with 18% discount with EI, until April. I have run the numbers on EV plans based on us charging the car for 4 hours at night and continuing to use our normal 11-12 units a day, saying 3 at night and 9 during the day with 3 of those at peak time if there is one. We're on a rural meter.

60 day totals are as follows (last week or week before):

Energia D/N = €563

Energia 2 year EV Smart = €595

BG EV = €634

EI Smart night boost = €642

Airtricity night boost = €648 (only found this tonight so not sure if it's only brand new)

Last bill with half a month of latest price hikes was 250 so either way it's going to be a huge jump but will go up in April anyway if not before.

At least half of the difference between EI and Energia is down to the mad EI standing charge (€483.71), which makes me wonder do I have the correct rural standing charge for Energia but that's what came up when I put in my MPRN (€236.62?). So €80 difference between EI and Energia D/N. EI do have a €150 bonus which would cover 2 bills' difference but not sure do I get that if I'm already with EI, albeit a different plan?

I could live with the Energia smart rate if needs be. But assuming I want to switch to D/N what do I do - call EI and ask to be put on a Day/Night meter and then switch to Energia? If EI do do it, should it be for free? And if I ever want to change back to smart meter in the future, I'll have to pay for it then? Any idea how much that would cost me? We're hoping to get panels in the next year or so - if I want to sell back to the grid, do I need to be on a smart meter? For the sake of 30 euro every 2 months I don't want to mess us up for the future. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,932 ✭✭✭✭josip

At the moment the best D/N meter rate I can find is Electric Ireland

Day rate 41.61 cent Night rate 20.52 cent Standing charge €396.89

and the best Smart meter rate is Energia

Day rate 45.76 cent Night rate 26.13 cent Peak rate 47.94 cent Standing charge €236.62

Our EV consumes 3200 kWh per year at home, so the usage difference is €180 less with a D/N but D/N has a €160 higher standing charge. Our non-EV electricity consumption is quite low. Unless I'm missing something, the €150 annual difference between the plans doesn't seem to be worth the hassle to change the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Where are you seeing those rates?

I've just checked the Electric Ireland website and I'm seeing 43.68 day and 21.55 night.

Also worth noting that's the urban standing charge for D/N that you quoted, the rural charge is €483.71.

It's showing for me on Bonkers.ie as an existing EI customer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

this seems excessive? are you doing a lot of driving? how many times a week do folks charge the car. Those figures above are scary.

Depends on the car and the milage-

Id be 600-700km’s a week, charge the i3 (60ah)every night, id3 (77) gets similar milage but only needs charging twice a week.

All the KWH’s add up, vital to do the maths on the best deal- this is an excellent thread.

credit to @brcwatters @josip some serious homework there for folks to think about.

We don't have the car yet but we would probably do 70km a day on average, based on yearly 25000km. We spend about 250 a month on diesel if not more. Himself has a 50km commute, country roads, and then there's usually at least trip to one of the local towns for some sort of extracurricular something in the evenings. So we were thinking a full charge every 3 days or a smaller charge nightly but we don't know yet if it's better to do the full charge every few nights or the smaller one nightly to use the cheaper 2 or 4 hours or whatever the plans give us.

Likewise we may end up being able to shift a good bit of the usage to night rate but not keen on having everything run at night so not sure how that will work. Plus probably won't use too much at peak but people gotta eat. So was trying to go with worst case scenarios.

But definitely, unless you're already on a cheapy energia plan, there's no value out there at all. Hoping to get solar in the spring which will help, but involves chopping down a load of trees first so that's going to be a big cost too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭fafy

Just reading some of the car charging requirements, and the right electricity plan to take.

One cannot base everything on, just on the car charging, its only one part, of the overall household electricity requirements, albeit it, potentially a significant use of power, but it varies significantly, as peoples commutes and journeys, vary so widely.

The move to a day/night meter is i believe one of the best moves to make on most circumstances, when it suits the user needs, and it has a huge advantage, with a 9 hour, low cost charging window, which is not available on any other plan, giving up to 63 hours per week at low rates, that offers huge flexibility, but the cost gains on doing that, are significantly more, than simply, a lower rate for car charging. There is all the other household appliances that can be used on the lower night rates, this of course requires behavioural/habit changes - using timers for washing machines, dryers, dishwashers etc, and if you have, or, are thinking of getting a heat pump, you can heat all of your water, on a timer, at night rates, plus you can time the heatpump to start heating early in the morning before day rates kick in.

To give an example, bearing in mind Everyone's setup is different, for my own usage of night rate units, only roughly 30% of night rates is EV charging, 70 % of night rate usage, is everything else. My car charging is low as mileage is low, but if i had a more a more average driving need , it would still be at least 40 %+ of night rates, for non EV car charging purposes.

Something to consider, when evaluating the various plans out there.

Is it ok to charge your car from say 60 to 80% everynight or should you let it run down and do 20 to 80 every 3 nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

60-80 every night is fine, if that's what you want to do. Either or.

Best D/N rate is energia, night rate is 15c for new customers (I have 7c fixed till next summer with them!)

Given that moving to D/N will use up our free swap, how much does it cost to get a smart meter swapped back in and what are the scenarios that would make that desirable? eg

1. Providers making D/N plans more expensive than Smart Meter plans?
    2. Smart Meter Plan Providers providing a plan that's competitive with D/N plans?
    3. Providers paying reasonable rates for exporting PV back to the grid? (Requires PVs)
    4. Buying an EV with 4680 and using its battery as storage back up for the house? (Requires PVs, inverter and a bit of free time to play around with settings?)

3 & 4 are unlikely I suspect. So what are the chances of 1 & 2?

Might be worth including a FIT tariff in that for the smart meter , a smart meter may result in you getting less than the formula currently used for the D/N, think I’m only exporting 15-20% of what they estimate ..gets more complicated by the day

• Advertisement

ESBn advised me its 180 quid for the non free meter swap.

I think 1 or 2 is likely to happen in 1-2 years time when the rollout is finished but not before.

Advertisement