Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Intercounty GAA sides are full of players on performance-enhancing drugs but it gets overlooked as the players are ''amateur''

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sigyn

I'd get banned...

Homo homini lupus est.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Professional sports are much worse. Liverpool under Klopp the biggest offenders but it’s all hush hush.

Tennis is also rife with it but again, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

Irish soccer fans are an embarrassment. Flying over and back to England , spending their money on the jerseys and tickets , we this we that about a city in a different country that they think they have a connection with . The fans over there consider them every bit as much day trippers as the Asian fans that the Irish lads have a cheek to sneer at .

And the same lads will take the piss out of the league of Ireland and say the facilities and teams are shite without having the brains to join the dots

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

The problem with this suggestion is that I believe everyone in ireland should be moved to spike island with immediate effect.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

People are tremendously overrated.

Tree huggers disgust me.

Rugby Union is the most boring sport ever invented and surpasses even tennis in it's capacity to bore.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I admire Travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I'm confused Brid...doesn't that back up what I said? Climate change is being driven by us,human beings, and there will be 2 billion more of them on this planet soon... I'm not sure how me saying we were unlikely to see plus 30c again and then getting it wrong means the point I made about population growth can be discounted because of it?? Do YOU get everything right? Genuine question not augmentative.

Are you denying that the major reason for climate change is us and 2 billion more is unsustainable?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ill go one further and say that people need to realise that travellers have been marginalised and abused through multiple generations by wider society, which has pushed them further to the edges of society and consequently into crime.

They can't get jobs, they can't get served in a pub or most restaurants. They're treated with suspicion and disdain everywhere they go. If they build a halting site there are protests. If they try put them in a house there are protests. Nobody wants them anywhere they go. People expecting them to suddenly just "get a job" and become part of wider society is real head in the sand stuff.

The other part is the fact that their suicide rates are huge, their prison rates are huge, they rarely live past 60, they arent exactly living a high life. If you are a traveller today you are born into this cycle and there is little possibility of a way out. Even the few I've come across who have broken out of the cycle and done well for themselves get constant abuse and discrimination, it's a no win situation for them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

DO you watch just Irish made tv shows & movies , Do you listen to music only made by Irish musicians ,Are your clothes only made in Ireland ?

Football is entertainment, If your more entertainment by watching English, Spanish German football why wouldn't you go & watch it ? Do you have to only do things that are Irish ? what's the issue with liking things outside of Ireland ,

• Advertisement

Well that is the problem right there . Sport around the world is about your team , your community , place , a team that represents you . That’s the way it is most places in the world , in rugby if your from Munster you support Munster , in GAA you support where your from , if your from New York you support the knicks or the yankees , even in English football the real fans that are from Peterborough , Reading , Bristol support those teams . In Scandinavia they have a massive support of premier league but still go to their own home clubs games and because of that have proper professional leagues .

Comparing supporting your sporting team to watching a movie or listening to a band sums it up really , it’s entertainment for Irish soccer fans , it’s a passion and lifestyle everywhere else

There parts of Ireland with no local soccer team to support, Its 2022 the world is your oyster support who you wish ,

League of Ireland fans who think there better than you because the support Pats instead of Liverpool is like someone thinking they love there wife more because she's ugly ,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,268 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I don't know about anyone else, but if I was going to a country with a heavy-handed law enforcement, I'd keep my head down. You wouldn't take pictures of Kim in Pyongyang, or of the Sistine Chapel, you wouldn't jay walk or give cheek to a cop in the states, you would generally adhere to religious measures anywhere in the world. So maybe these hordes of the LGBT community seemingly travelling to Qatar for the World Cup, maybe shouldn't hold hands in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The problem is just in your mind, Football is a global game. Nothing wrong with your team been in another country, its the emotional connection that matters.

Indeed , the problem of Irish football and the fai being broke and not being able to run a professional league because most fans spend their money on foreign teams is in my mind

I wonder would Ireland be no 1 rugby team in the world if thousands of fans were heading over to watch Saracens or Bath every weekend instead of going to Thomsond park or the RDS

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

And it's a minority of travelers that have caused them to be marginalised. I live near a halting site and the people there don't want to mix with settled people.. if travellers are not willing to mix with settled people how are we ever going to get to know the nice travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

That’s not the way it is with football/soccer though imo. In any country. You have born and bred Londoners supporting Man City these days. South Americans follow Barca and Madrid. Premier league is supported everywhere. By people not even in the same hemisphere never mind a short trip on a ferry across the Irish Sea. Tbh I agree with you to an extent because at least up until the late 90s and early 00s we had plenty of Irish players playing for good teams and going back further we had loads of Irish lads playing integral parts in great English sides but the onset of the prem and influx of players from all over the world seems to have completely wrecked our ability to produce a player.

Historically Irish football has close connections with big English clubs and we as a country have huge connections with England. Probably why the interest in English football carried over through generations.

At this stage though a lot of it is glory hunting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Motorcyclists who travel up between two lanes of moving traffic should be arrested and put off the road. Their insurance should be voided if the ever get hit by another vehicle while doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Drink spiking has been an over exaggerated moral panic outbreak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Surely you're not saying that there is a correlation between Liverpools decline this season and the world cup coming up with all its drug testing?

I suspect he is referring to the utterly discredited report about the number of Liverpool registered as asthmatics and using salbutamol. It was reported about a year ago and found to be a complete fabrication. If Liverpool were doping, they must be the least competent dopers in history considering the number of injuries and performance issues suffered.

It isn’t controversial, it’s just misinformed nonsense, if a drop off in performance was an indicator of drug use, Man Utd must be hoovering up the world supply since 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

It's probably the sudden drop of a cliff performances from the whole Liverpool squad in such a short period of time that has people thinking this about them.

Also there is no doubt the whole Man Utd squad have been smoking something since 2013 but it sure as fcuk isn't performance enhancing!

Eamon Ryan is an exceptional minister with true vision and purpose.

Ala MU in 2014 when SAF wrung the last drop out of an ageing team to win in 2013, that’s what eventually happens when clubs rely on the same players for too long, they all hit the same wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,287 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

dont worry eamonn, the next ge is a while away yet, you re fine for the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Liverpool have very little squad depth. Most teams, bar City, are in the same boat. Liverpool got very lucky with keeping “key players” fit for as long as they did.

Man City could play two different starting 11s every other week and they’d still win the league, or at least finish in the top 4. Wonder if that will be the “case” in Newcastle in a couple of years as well.

Will be interesting to see how the World Cup in the middle of the season impacts teams in January, though.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Easier and cheaper to drive an hour to watch a LOI game than fly to England, pay for expensive match tickets, hotel, flight other expenses. Having no local LOI team isnt a good excuse for not going to watch live matches, especially if you fly to England to watch an English team.

There are Irish people who watch man u or liverpool but dont watch their own national team, shows you what kind of supposed football fans we have in the Country.

Ye it sure is without question & that only reaffirms that someone can have a great love an affinity for a team in different country ,

I get the rivalry of fans in football but I don't get why anyone would care who other people like to watch

When LOI fans start there nonsense you can sense they fell inferior for spending hours watching worse football ,Its ok lads nobody cares who you like to watch just enjoy yourself that's all that matters ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,184 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I think LOI fans just have a problem with listening to paddy premierships saying LOI is $hite, when the standard would be a lot better if they spent their money on LOI instead of pretending they have a connection with Liverpool, man united etc.

Advertisement