Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I had assumed Blockbuster would be a period piece, so to speak, early 2000s if not full blown 90s, but the trailer has smart phones and looks like its fairly recently set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Isn't it set in the last ever blockbuster? There's still one open somewhere in the states.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I assumed that was just nonsense for the sitcom, but I was wrong. Mind you, the mention of VHS tapes made me double-take since I'm fairly sure global production of tapes and players ended somewhere between 5 and 10 years ago...They seem to be fairly reliant on selling merch etc. (Sensible move to diversify income streams though, so no criticism there).

I knew it was set in the last ever Blockbuster, I just assumed that meant it was past tense. Every day's a school day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is Blockbuster a multi-camera sitcom? I haven't watched the trailer but assumed it was single cam.

Enola Holmes 2 (2022) Enola takes on her first official case as a detective, but to solve the mystery of a missing girl, she'll need help from friends -- and brother Sherlock

The Syndicate season 1 (2021) This episodic drama delves into the lives of cash-strapped workers whose worlds are turned upside down when they win millions in the lottery...

Manifest season 1 (2022) When a plane mysteriously lands years after takeoff, the people onboard return to a world that has moved on without them and face strange new realities

Buying Beverly Hills season 1 (2022) Mauricio Umansky's family-run firm The Agency represents some of the most lavish properties in Beverly Hills. But there's drama around every corner

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 29,021 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

To clarify, it's only Manifest season 4 part 1 that's available. The other stations aren't there. They have all seasons in the States, where it did well ,which is why they funded season 4.

Similar to what happened with Lucifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,595 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Blockbuster...isn't great well the first two episodes....shame because there is a good cast and the odd funny line...it might pick up

• Advertisement

Saw My Father's Dragon in the cinema today. It's on Netflix from next Friday. Definitely worth watching once it's available. In some ways it skews a little younger than Cartoon Saloon's previous films, but there's some moments I'd say would scare anyone too young. There's some deeper themes running under the relatively simple story too. It sounded amazing too, so if you're into that I'd definitely reccomend trying to see it in the cinema this week. Otherwise definitely add it to the watchlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Anyone watched Hellhole?

I can’t quite form an opinion on it - it as a creepy atmosphere and looks great but the lead character’s reactions to events don’t make sense and the twists and turns that are supposed to shock are obvious from the very start.

It feels like the middle film of a trilogy.

Haunting of Margam Castle (2020) A team of American parapsychologists runs afoul of vengeful spirits while conducting research abroad at an abandoned castle rumored to be haunted.

Orgasm Inc: The Story of OneTaste (2022) A sexual wellness company gains fame and followers for its practice of "orgasmic meditation" -- until members come forward with disturbing allegations.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sounds like some of Netflix's more prominent creators are PO'ed with the service's intent to insert adverts into their material. If your work wasn't fashioned with natural ad-breaks during their runtime, then yeah, I can understand why some are angry.

Triviaverse (2022) Highest score wins! Challenge a friend or beat a mysterious foe by answering random rapid-fire trivia questions on science, art, geography and more

Neal Brennan: Blocks (2022) From the weird relationship humans have with dogs to how dating a model is like owning a dune buggy, Neal Brennan muses on his life in this stand-up special.

The Claus Family 2 (2021) (Flemish) Santa's one job? Deliver presents. But as Jules takes the reins from his Grandpa Noël, he receives a young girl's letter with a special holiday wish

Minions & More Volume 2 (2022) Catch animated shorts like "Phil's Dance Party" and "Binky Nelson Unpacified" in this compilation from the company behind the "Despicable Me" franchise

Tokyo Ghoul: Pinto (2015) (Japanese) Photographer Chie Hori first meets Shu Tsukiyama when they're classmates in high school, and she's not afraid when she learns his secret

Tokyo Ghoul: Jack (2015) (Japanese) High schoolers Kisho Arima and Taishi Fura meet while investigating a ghoul's murder of Fura's friend, then work together as members of the CCG

The Garden of Words (2013) (Japanese) When a lonely teenager skips his morning classes to sit in a lovely garden, he meets a mysterious older woman who shares his feelings of alienation.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭jj880

On netflix Nov 16th but already in cinema.

Anyone seen? Any good?

Looks great and reviews of Pugh are glowing as usual.

The Crown season 5 (2022) Inspired by real events, this fictional dramatization tells the story of Queen Elizabeth II and the political and personal events that shaped her reign

The Soccer Football Movie (2022) Four young soccer superfans team up to help their idols regain their abilities after a scheming evil scientist steals their talent

FIFA Uncovered (2022) Limited Series From power struggles to global politics, an exploration of FIFA reveals the organization's checkered history -- and what it takes to host a World Cup.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I thought it was fine but ultimately underwhelming. Unsurprisingly great cast and it's handsomely staged (the Irish landscapes looking suitably windswept), but the film is just a bit dour and one-note.

Ah the 90s Crown Season. I think this is the season most people want to see. Cast looks very good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Probably holds the least interest for me. Up to now I've enjoyed some of the historical stuff I wasn't fully aware of like Aberfan and so on but Charles and Diana's marriage falling apart? Meh.

• Advertisement

Was thinking more of how much they roast / dont roast king Charlo. There will be parts that are new to me even though Ive heard the Charles / Diana / Camilla story multiple times. A lot of actresses / actors in it I enjoy watching also.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Had had a look this morning Staunton is a very ugly queen. Dominic West delicious as Charles everyone else is un remarkable. Debecki as Diana is just lacking something, her warmth maybe, I liked Princess Margaret & Peter Townsend, but cast so far not impressed . The monarchy needn't worry about it as its lacking something, depth maybe trying to get too much in , in a short space of time. No worries King Charles this too will pass, next hurdle the book by your room temperature IQ son !!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I am 5 episodes into Cabinet of Curiosities. So far I found episodes 1 and 2 to be alright but nothing special, episode 3 excellent, episode 4 really good, and episode 5 an absolute chore (to the extent that I would strongly suggest skipping it - it's an hour you won't get back, and there's precious little to recommend about it aside from the production values).

Based on comments I've seen, I'm not expecting any of the remaining episodes to reach the heights of either The Autopsy or The Outside, but it'd be nice to be proven wrong.

Lost Bullet 2 (2022) (French) Having cleared his name, genius mechanic Lino has only one goal in mind: getting revenge on the corrupt cops who killed his brother and his mentor.

Falling for Christmas (2022) After losing her memory in a skiing accident, a spoiled heiress lands in the cozy care of a down-on-his-luck widower and his daughter at Christmastime

State of Alabama vs. Brittany Smith (2022) This documentary tells the harrowing story of a woman trying to use Alabama's Stand Your Ground law after killing a man she says brutally attacked her

Synchronic (2020) Two paramedics begin to question their realities after coming across several bizarre deaths linked to a new narcotic with mind-bending effects..

Motherland season 3 (2020) A group of mothers and a stay-at-home dad struggle to juggle childcare with self-care as they experience the thrills and trials of parenthood.

Added

Warrior Nun S2 also added. A fun little fantasy show set in and around an order of nuns who are sworn to protect an ancient halo, and fight demons. S1 came out summer of 2020, during the first lockdown. Bit slow to get going but worth sticking with.

coming dec 25th

The Witcher: Blood Origin

Our universe

bit of morgan freeman doing morgan freeman

Crime Scene: The Texas Killing Fields 

nov 29th

I watched the Lindsay Lohan Christmas film. The only way to judge these films is in comparison to each other. So this one is infinitely better than last year's A Castle For Christmas, but nowhere near as good as The Knight Before Christmas.

It's good to see Lohan working again, and through Netflix's cheesy offerings is probably a clever way to make a comeback. No expectations, guaranteed audience. Good for her, I say. Although I may retract that when the next one, Irish Wish, comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix will being doing there first live global stream next year.

Chris Rock will do a live stand up show.

The live streaming is test for buying sports rights I’d imagine

Advertisement