Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I'd advise caution there. I'm not saying don't do it, but at the same time, I think removing it still might not enable you to achieve what you think you will be able to. All our inverters (well 99% of them) are grid tied-in, as in it's the grid power (220v ac) which powers the motherboard mostly and enables them to do their magic, barring of course the battery -> EPS route.

So in order for the inverter to work, you'd have to back-feed the EPS outlet as the inverter input. That would perhaps be "not a wise" thing to do. Different makes/models also will want to see how the grid CT clamp on the grid is working (so it can take excess). I think you could be a "test pilot" there with the route you'd have to go - possible invalidating your warranty on your inverter. Dunno - but it's likely.

I've somewhat the same feeling about the firemans's switch in general (especially if it's a short run of 1-2m anyway to the inverter, it's kind of pointless) but removing it from the loop may not solve the other issues.

Also, if you do go mucking about with the firemans switch - be super super careful. That's potentially close to 600V DC there going into it. (Do it at night would reduce risk as no solar output)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭con747

I'll leave that up to the installer! He has a few bits to do and said he would do that as well. I will post here if I get it done but he's up to his tonsils at the minute so I'm down the list.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭irishchris

No grid connection is needed for it to produce power during an outage but you do have to make sure to turn the AC isolator off to the inverter so it is not back fed it's own power.

Obviously need a generator switch to ensure no power fed back to grid also but my ground mount system works away producing power during day from panels whilst also charging up the batteries and running the house in a grid outage

• Registered Users Posts: 21,913 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It will do both. Everything will be the same except the inverter will not generate more than the house load + battery max input (You'll see this as an EPM), as there's nowhere to backfeed the excess to.

If you have a battery bank that can supply 100A or more and the inverter to do it, and you have wired most sockets and lights circuits to the EPS as opposed to the main grid connection, then you can continue as normal in a power outage.

(No one suggested backfeeding through the EPS. This may or may not work depending on the inverter but I woudlnt reccomend it!)

Not 100% that all inverters support that. Sure, EPS power out yeah, but to my knowledge (and for sure I could be in error) I think they'll only do the battery ->EPS socket and not convert power from solar into usable power for battery etc.

• Advertisement

I know Victrons do, and I'm pretty sure Solis do too. The 6kW inverter has a 5kW limit on the EPS output.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Don't see why the default for all inverters would not be battery + Solar => EPS socket. It works like that by default in Ireland is due to the firemans switch disabling the panels. I expect in other countries where they don't have the same restriction hence it be more obvious that in EPS mode you can use both battery + solar. Why would inverter ignore power from panels in EPS mode if its available - makes no sense!

My AlphaESS definitiely works this way, in outage with change over switch moved to off grid/EPS mode i have solar+battery available

As I said, depends on the inverter. Just because you have one that works (and that's great), I wouldn't presume that every device will do the same. I'm not 100% sure that the GivEnergy one that I have will do the same.

Using a Home Battery in a Power Cut, Home Battery Backup - Joju Solar

WILL SOLAR PANELS CHARGE THE BATTERY WHEN THE GRID GOES DOWN?

You’d assume it would, right? Unfortunately, it’s not always the case. More “cost efficient” backup systems will just discharge their stored energy when the grid goes down and the solar will turn off. This is partly due to the fact that if the battery inverter is smaller than the solar inverter then the solar inverter could overload the battery system. More expensive battery systems can be charged by the solar when the grid goes down. To do this, the battery inverter will have a higher capacity than the solar. Once the battery is full, the solar will either turn off or, if the systems can talk to each other, the solar will ramp down to match the building’s load exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭irishchris

possibly some dont alright but with the solis 4g and 5g inverters I can vouch it does allow use of solar panel power and batteries in backup mode as have unfortunately had couple grid outages over last two years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Most Victron hybrids have 2 outputs. Interesting design feature is that the AC1 output is the critical loads and AC2 is the limited one. Typically seems to be 32A or 50A on the bigger ones

I think it comes from the off grid idea, so you'd put something power hungry like your immersion heaters on AC2, so they don't accidentally drain your battery in a power cut. And you still have full power from the inverter for critical loads

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Yes I was talking about the Solis 6kW having 5kW peak limit on the EPS. I don't know what the victron has as an AC1/AC2 limit but I'm a real fan of them and probably will swap out my solis for a 10 or 15kva quattro next year. They are designed for great offgrid operation, expensive for what they are but they are the best out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you want the best, get an SMA sunny boy.

Does any Irish based installer support this?

I had been having difficulties finding someone to do the Quattro install but there's someone in cork that I found that does it. I would much prefer getting someone in to do the install. I can add batteries or a couple of panels - not on a roof - myself but for an inverter I'd prefer to pay someone.

Okay, I'm going to harp on about the fireman switch a bit more. I'm trying to get my head around the SEAI requirements. There's the infamous section 4.7 on the fireman switch

Okay, seems fairly straightforward. You need an automatic isolation switch which cuts the output of the solar panels to the house. It has to happen upon "removal of the AC supply" to the house and can't be from a dedicated switch.

It has to be the same switch that disconnects the house also disconnects the solar

But then there's section 4.9 concerning off grid and backup power situations

So it says that section 4.7 can be achieved using the requirements under backup power

It's also important to note that backup power is defined here as PV and battery storage. This implies that the solar panels are included in the backup power supply and it isn't battery only

Here's the problem, I cannot see anything in that section which seems to clarify the requirements around the fireman switch. It all seems to be around grid isolation to prevent the system feeding power to the grid

The only part which seems relevant is the statement around moving the LOM protection to the meter box

So, if I'm reading that correctly (and I'm probably not) then you can have the fireman switch fed by the backup power supply, on the condition that there is a single switch in the meter cabinet which isolates the grid supply to the house and also isolates the PV array. That switch also needs to lock in the off position, so that it cannot be returned to the on position accidentally

Finally, there's the recent technical bulletin which seems to throw all of that out the window

So it seems that SEAI are contradicting their own code of practice

Personally I think this is something they need to address pretty soon as it's just going to lead to people removing the fireman switch in a power cut which completely defeats the purpose of one

Other countries are quite able to have solar panels providing backup power without electrocuting their firefighters, so I don't see why Ireland needs to be special

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Most of us are pretty clued in as to the grid's greenest times anyway, but I see ESBN have launched their "Is this a good time" pilot.

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/who-we-are/beat-the-peak/is-this-a-good-time

I've signed up but haven't received any emails/SMS yet. If decent I'll recommend to family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Signed up too, but expecting just a load of spam from it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There was chat of being "rewarded" at the end of this earlier on in the year.

I'm an exception though. I have enough battery storage + power that I don't influence the peak at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Its just that same really overcautious obsessed with insurance & liability attitude that you see from the same civil servants who give us all our signalised roundabouts. These lads don't ever have the ability to say "Ah, thats grand, horse away". They'll have to put some twisht in the tail to leave their mark and slow people down

Yeah and I get SEAI's viewpoint, they want to ensure a safe solution for firefighters and the simplest answer is to just force the ultra conservative system of disconnecting the solar in a power cut

Okay, fine, I see their point

But, it really shouldn't be up to them. SEAI isn't a technical body, at least not in the way that they would be familiar with wiring up solar panels. The fireman switch should be described in IS 10101, or whatever the rules regarding fire safety are.

As far as I can tell, SEAI basically took those requirements and narrowed it down to a fixed solution for everyone

And then they seem to contradict themselves in the way I mentioned

My other issue is that this really shouldn't be in SEAI's authority to enforce, and I'm pretty sure it isn't beyond claiming the grant.

Safe electric are the body that enforces good practice among electricians, so it's really in their domain I think

The only control SEAI have is the payment of the grant, nothing in legislation or on the DNO side. Once you get the grant, there's nothing wrong with removing the firemans switch installed per the grant requirements. This is what I will be doing. Long term, I'll be off grid anyway so there may not ever be a grid connection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

So, I'm looking at moving the eddi from the attic downstairs into the hot press. Do I need an electrician for that?

Depends on the context of what you mean by "do I need an electrician". If you are talking about if it's a legal requirement, then no. If you are talking about do you (personally) need an electrician, then I guess it's down to how comfortable knowledable you are with electrics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

One of the advantages of the EDDI is its quiet operation because it has no fan, I would not position it in a hot press due to overheating. Could you drill a hole and mount it in a hallway perhaps?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yes, sorry I was querying the legal requirement. I'll have a look and see how things are up there.

I could put it on the landing but it'll look a bit **** so I wouldn't, nor would the missus accept it either. I'll stick a thermometer in the hot press and see how it is but I don't think it's all that hot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I wasn't clear on the reason why you want to move it, but I have just seen another post elsewhere explaining. Your problem sounds identical to the issue I had with my data logging stick and poor signal in the attic. A RG58 SMA extension cable solved it for me. I think that would be the easiest and cheapest solution.

I actually tried that 🙁 3M extension and an external aerial. It worked far more frequently, but have had at least 2 dropouts in the past week. Stupidly there's no way to check the RF signal strength between ME devices. They can see something but wouldn't share what it is. Also it's not just a case of the Eddi dropping out, it takes the whole myenergi system with it so also impacts the Zappi.

Is the antenna below the foil backed ceiling board? Or just closer to Zappi but still in attic?

Instead of moving the Eddi, would it be easier to move the Hub? I'm guessing you've the older model which still requires the hub

Maybe a couple of homeplug ethernet adapters would let you move the Hub closer to the Eddi?

EDIT: Have you tried changing the channels on the Zappi and Eddi? I found I had to change channels a couple of times before I got good reception

Still in the attic but closer to the Zappi.

I've the Zappi V2 with the vhub. I had the Zappi V2 without the hub but it was having issues so myenergi swapped it out for the new one. All looked good after I swapped it out so I sold the old hub. 🙃

• Advertisement

The foil is the problem. Have you somewhere you can poke the antenna down through to the first floor to test?

Advertisement