Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Midterms 2022 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,992 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You have to play devils advocate. No one in the GOP wants that.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭RickBlaine

I agree. Some people would negatively describe a TV show as woke just because it has a woman of colour in a leading role.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm not sure that's the case. The whole social policy issue gets all the headlines, but that's not the majority part of what a governor does. "Abbot is anti abortion" "DeSantis is not pro transgender" or whatever are the majority things heard abroad. Without looking it up, does anyone know how well the state economies are doing? Is Abbott coming to victory because of his position on abortion, or because Texas is the fastest growing economy in the US? He must be doing something right if so many people are moving here that it's the only State to gain two seats last census. Florida, similarly, is 7th of 50 over the last five years.

DeSantis is effectively president of a small country of 22 million people. I think it would take more than anti-wokeism to result in such resounding reelection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Yeah, but that's Esky's bugbear. Grrr, the wokes! So, on a night where is his predictions "Dems will lose badly, because of the wokes", have failed to materialise, he has to find another angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yeah. It's a strategy of the GOP focusing entirely on attacking straw men for the next 2 years when what the Dems have shown today, is that the candidates who focus on policies that are popular with the people who did the best.

The US population are heavily in favour of policies like the right to paid time off, maternity leave, pre-school education, better access to healthcare etc Rights that every other developed country has

If the GOP keep yammering on about Critical Race Theory they will get their stupidist and most extremist supporters all riled up, but they'll lose the election.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's all about timing.

Trump will announce his plans to run shortly - He was talking about Nov 15th , but he might delay that a little , but he will announce soon because he firmly believes that his candidacy offers him some degree of protection from prosecution.

It doesn't , but he thinks he can play the "political attack" angle a bit harder if he's an official candidate.

If he were to be tried and convicted at the federal level before the primaries get going then it might alter his plans.

If the federal charge was one that excluded him from holding office then he would likely row in behind whichever candidate promised to give him a pardon etc.

But if he's still legally allowed to run , nothing will stop him doing so and he wouldn't care how damaging that might be to the GOP.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's it in a nut-shell.

The average American cares about the same stuff as everyone in other countries do.

Job Security , being able to buy a home , Healthcare & Education and so on - Core, basic day to day needs and wants.

Politicians and parties that offer potential solutions to those things get votes.

And the GOPs only clear policy position of "tax cuts for the rich" isn't the answer to any of those questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Don’t know the breakdown of the voters yet.

But I reckon young people came out in droves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Polling companies don't tend to make statements about the outcomes of elections. Politic pundits do because they think it is useful or just want the attention. They have a bad habit of understating the impact of a margin of error.

They generally are more useful for determining when there is a shift in voter outlook and they absolutely have their uses in knowing where the tight races are. But people using them to make definitive statements are just using them wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Pennsylvania going for Fetterman and Shapiro. An important swing-ish state going Democratic.

Don't we have a prominent TFG supporter from that area? Must not be a great day there.

But, the Eagles are undefeated and as I recall, he roots for the Jets and they're playing well ahead of expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,781 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

We were told that because Jill Biden was booed, that it was curtains for the Dems iirc...

Looks like we won't have a clear result in the Senate until December.

Fetterman has picked up a seat for the Democrats , but it looks like Laxalt will pick one up for the GOP in Nevada so it will probably all come down to Georgia again.

Under Georgia rules if no candidate breaks 50% it goes to a run off on December 6th between Warnock and Walker.

At this stage , it's not looking likely that Warnock will get to 50% as there is a 3rd party candidate sitting on a little over 2% with only 4% of votes left to count.

That will be messy in the extreme - Will the GOP be able to keep Trump quiet? Will he still go ahead and announce his run for 2024 on the 15th?

His post election bullsh!t cost them Georgia the last time and he could do it again..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Isn’t there a load of mail in votes due from Nevada?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Legitimate votes or vote dumps depending on which side of stupidity you sit.

All those numbers are in percentages. I'd be curious to know what a 360% increase in youth votes means in raw numbers. Good to see nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

While I have no doubt Trump will win the republican nomination for 2024, I seriously doubt his chances of beating any democrat in the general.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nah it would be poetic. All of trumps biggest GOP sycophants are all people who once treated trump the same way. They all declared to hate his guts. Lindsay Graham even said, quote is infamous now:

And that prayer has held up for 3 US elections since 2016 now.

You could be right..

Just looking again , the total votes counted is still only at ~80% .

If the balance are mostly mail-ins and they favour the Democrats they could sneak it...

It'll be very very close though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Young people more Liberal.

Stop the presses.

Then they go out in the real world and their preferences change

Democrats are lucky that Chase Oliver isn't a totally cuckoo Libertarian.

If it was any other Libertarian I'd suspect Walker would be a lock to win a run-off.

Oliver is:

• Pro-immigration reform to make it easier for immigrants to work and live in the US.
    • Pro-police reform. He wants to end qualified immunity. Also wants to end mandatory sentencing.
    • Pro-LGBT
    • For ending the drug war.
    • Wants to end the unconstitutional Patriot Act.
    • Doesn't believe life begins at conception.

Young people are more liberal but don't always turn up at the polling booth.

As for people changing their political preferences...studies have shown that people's political preferences remain remarkable consistent throughout their lives. This notion that people become more conservative as they age is exactly that - a notion. No basis in reality.

That's potentially good news for the Democrats.

The big focus for the GOP will be trying to see if they can convince the people that voted for Kemp but not for Walker to switch sides.

Kemp won pretty comfortably so there's a pretty decent chunk of those that either sat out the Senate vote or chose to vote for Warnock (or maybe Oliver) instead.

If Senate control is on the table for this run off , it will get very nasty indeed..

• Registered Users Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Tennessee votes to ban slavery as a form of punishment!

Slavery as a form of punishment is the last permitted form of slavery by the US constitution (see amendment XIII)

Interested to see what if any legal implications this might have for imprisonment.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Nobody that would listen could be told about Trump. Independent voters couldn’t back him.

Republicans should have walked the House with a 30+ seat majority. Now they’re probably doing well to get 10.

Piss poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

I think it will be DeSantis in 2024. That acceptance speech was squarely aimed at the hard core MAGA base. He is a shrewd operator and delivered Florida from a swing state to red. Florida as a state is also growing at an alarming rate under his stewardship with approx 1,000 people a day permanently relocating there. Its very easy for him to spin the positives. Growing ecconomy, a place people want to live, freedom state (WTF that maeans) and a proven winner.

He is ex Harvard and still serving in the Military reserve, granted it was a legal position but he did serve and has a medal or something I think. He is a much more capable operator than Trump every was or will be and has been playing the politics game a long time.

I am no expert but I can't see Trump being able to complete with DeSantis, it will be much easier for DeSantis to win over the MAGA crowd than from Trump to win over the rest of the GOP. I also reckon Trump knows that and if he crosses him his chances of a pardon are out the window. If DeSantis throws his hat in its over for Trump.

Biden has been doing good steady work that will benefit 000's of Americans but its not sexy and they don't seem to have the skills to market it as sexy.

So in a nutshell I will be surprised if DeSantis isn't #47

• Registered Users Posts: 19,781 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"Then they go out in the real world and their preferences change"

In the real world, Trump lost the election. Sounds like liberals are already living there and it is the republicans who are not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It just means that prisoners will have to get paid a nominal amount for the license plates they print, or whatever. I can't imagine it will result in a major restructuring of Tennessee's correctional environment.

Three of five States (Arkansas, the Dakotas) rejected recreational Marijuana, Missouri and Maryland passed it. Ohio made it a requirement to be a US citizen to vote.

One of the districts flipped to Republican is in South Central Texas. Tejano-strong and a border district.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,397 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Donald Trump became President of a much bigger country using the same playbook.

Advertisement