Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Even if the GOP takes the house, this is a clear rejection of Trump and his politics of lies and hate. Despite how unpopular Biden is with voters, its hardly even a red ripple never mind a wave. The GOP leadership must be frantically trying to find a way to stop Trump from running in 2024.

Spent some time with my partners family in Michigan this summer and the feeling I got from talking to some of our friends who voted republican is that there is real disquiet about the continuing profile of the voting fraud conspiracy. This lack of ‘red wave’ does not surprise me at all. That so many republicans have hitched their wagon to the ‘stolen election’ narrative is doing them serious damage across the quiet majority IMO and I don’t believe that Trump has any chance of winning the next election if he’s put forward as the republican candidate. Or indeed any candidate running on a Trumpism, electoral fraud ticket

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's it exactly - He'll call them all Rinos and 20% of the GOP vote will stay at home.

He won't run as a 3rd party candidate or anything like that because that would require money and effort - Money he won't spend and effort he won't put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Trump won't be put forward as a candidate by the republican party, however trump will announce himself as the republican candidate. Major split in the republican party in the next 18 months

Sounds perfect to me. It's lovely watching the GOP implode. At the same time, a country needs at least two functioning political parties to work properly. The GOP is not functioning at the moment, and it definitely won't be functioning if Trump announces for 2024. The in-fighting will be unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Much can happen in 2 years. The absolute best thing for the 2024 Potus race is if TFG announces next week. I actually expect he won't, and eventually endorse whoever gets the announcement on condition (quid pro quo of course) of getting a POTUS pardon when/if that candidate wins.

The most notable thing for me is not the outcome of the senate and the house races….there are the usual mid-term dynamics at play (though definitely a strong Democrat performance in the context of the economic and cost of living challenges)

It’s the performance of the Trump endorsed governors, most notably Kari Lake, who have overwhelmingly been soundly beaten. That’s where you need to be looking to assess the health of Trumpism

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

trump won’t ever admit it but his base has now been shrunk to near cult level , mainstream GOP got the green light to dump him last night

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

he's already embraced Q-Anon.

Maybe he'll complete his transformation into a Jim Jones like figure.

As someone remarked online, "the only difference between Jim Jones and Donald Trump is, Trump would charge you for the koolaid"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Get the popcorn ready as this is going to be epic.

Tear each other apart and split the vote.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

So, he never came here to discuss it, all he wanted to do was silence you in the other thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,605 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not a disastrous night for the Republicans, but a clear sign that Trumpesque / Trum-endorsed candidates are losing ground.

The Republican have the same issue they have always had - how to get rid of Trump without alienating his base. Now they can clearly see that his base/influence is shrinking.

But how to get Trump to quietly slip out of the spotlight, or even better from their perspective, to get him to endorse a candidate that also has mainstreap GOP support, is not something that will be easy to achieve. It isn't as if Trump has any great love for the GOP, or any interest in taking steps to maintain their popularity in his absence by doing what's best for the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It is a disastrous night really. They should have won far more. History of mid-terms, Bidens own approval ratings, inflation, gas prices.

Very poor performance and doesn't bode well for 2024. That it is now abundantly clear that Trump is not a winner for them, but that should have been obvious as far back as 2020. But the key problem remains exactly as it was.

How can then pivot away from Trump without splitting the party? That was the case back in 2020, and remains the case now. If the lie about election fraud wasn't enough. If the attempted coup on Jan 6th wasn't enough. Then how will this be enough?

It isn't, not for Trump or his supporters. So the GOP are in a real hole now. The best option would have been to win convincingly and De Santis to do relatively poorly. That the opposite happens means that Trump is now weakened, De Santis is more powerful, but Trump will now go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

He did have that whole Reform Party campaign in 2000. I'm sure that taught him all he needed to know about running for a third party and what a waste of time it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats very true, its almost certain that the next president will be a Democrat because as bad as they are the GOP are alot worse.

The Democrats could run a scarecrow in 2024.

There seems to be a dearth of talent in Global politics, utter cabbages running the US, UK and Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Vile party, vile man, both LOSERS, would live to see them turn on each other now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

People get what they vote for. If people are going to continue to be duped by con artists like Trump, Johnson etc and laugh at serious politicians for being boring then that is what they are going to get.

The likes of Trump, Johnson, Truss etc should be nowhere near leadership levels in any properly functioning democracy, and if the outlier does manage to get through then the checks should be in place to limit the effects.

But in a democracy sometimes it all comes down to the lesser of two evils. Don't let the great perfect be the enemy of the good. Too many people were too quick to latch on the faults of HC and allowed such a terrible candidate as Trump to lie his way, and then even after what some could generously call taking a chance, have refused to accept the error and doubled down.

Lat night the US seems to have taken a further step to try to undo the damage and move back towards taking democracy seriously again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭thomil

It's really saying something when Irish politicians appear to be the most professional players on the field, at least when compared to the other two nations you mentioned.

Having said that, I do believe as if the Trump phenomenon and the dearth of global political talent are related. Politics, whether on a domestic or international level, tend to be messy, ugly and complex at the best of times, and it requires a lot of time, effort and energy to really stay informed about the myriad of issues and the attitudes of the numerous political players towards them. It appears to me as if more and more people just don't want to invest this time and energy anymore and will either gravitate towards those that offer seemingly simple solutions or those that find a convenient scapegoat for all issues, which feeds into the increasingly tribalist nature of politics we tend to see on the rise.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Who was the last government leader in Ireland, the UK or the US that was the type of leader that you want to see again?

Biden has been much better than I thought he was going to be and the biggest regret I have is that if he hadn't lost his son to cancer, he could well have run in 2016 and we would never have had to experience what we have done and the absolute drop in standards within the Republican party as the turned towards people who spouted Trump like rhetoric.

Biden is showing his years, everyone does, so I don't think there's 6 more years in him but I cannot understand how anyone can look at initiatives to make healthcare more affordable, to prevent gas company profiteering, to cut student debt, to invest in infrastructure and industry and turn towards what Trump and those like him go on about.

I, like others, would enjoy watching Trump get his comeuppence, finally, but I do hope he sets fire to the GOP before this happens (if it does). They deserve it for how they succumbed to him over the last 6 years and particularly since Jan 6th. Watching the trust in the electoral process being set fire to as was done was extremely concerning.

• Advertisement

I dont think Irish politicians are at all professional, they are just extremely cautious and the country is essentially run by the highest civil servants.

US corporations are keeping the country afloat. If they have a downturn, which seems to be starting things will get very messy.

Ireland despite having the youngest population in Europe, one of the lowest population densities and being an island had the longest lockdown in the developed world.

There was very little logic or strategy as to procedures to beat Covid because our health service is of third world level.

We now have the 3rd highest national debt per capita in the world.

FF and FG are utterly incompetent and there is no alternative , SF would bankrupt the country with their lala land policies.

When you see Donald Trump and Joe Biden as apparently the best that the GOP and Dems can produce, it does make you wonder about what the hell went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dems are far too brand safe. I bet Hillary wonders if she should have not fixed the 2016 dem primary against Bernie he would have been a better trajectory than Trump.

You need huge money to mount a Presidential campaign which restricts who can run to a large extent.

It seems to be a serious flaw of US politics, money talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And the last great candidate to understand that was Bernie and the last great shot was his popular grassroots campaign $27 at a time.

Elections since 2016 have basically doubled in how much money you need to spend now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Must be awful for 45.

The republican party abandoning him.

Fox doing the same.

Significant legal jeopardy all around.

No hope of winning in 2024.

Delicious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

US corporations are keeping the country afloat. 

You are 180 degrees out of whack with this take. US Corporations have the country to take for their continued existence as it is today.

In the US, the country took the hit with massive bailouts of banks after the corporation driven financial collapse in 09. During Covid, the country stepped in to once again provide financial support to industries such as the Airlines that claimed they would not be able to stay afloat without it. In many cases, they then took this money to initiate stock buy backs.

US Corporations are stifling meaningful progress in access to healthcare, more affordable education and climate change actions despite a desire of most in the country to see improvements in these areas.

In terms of Irish politicians, and I'm not saying they are perfect, but many other countries look at Irelands success from where it was, prior to mid-90's to where it went to, around the time of the crash, and again with the speed from which it recovered from that crash and these countries are envious of Irelands success.

Ireland has lots and lots and lots of room for improvement, but it also has a largely well educated and if not prosperous, then mostly adequate population and again is something that cannot be said for every country. Again, Irish politicians and there's been no shortage of chances and outright criminals within them, have contributed to Ireland becoming the country it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I haven't posted here in ages 'cos I felt it got quite toxic on both sides.

But yeah, I think that's a fair statement. And, in fairness, GOP previously too. I think trump was (rightly or wrongly) an attempt to try something different. I mean, had Hilary won then you would have had the following:

• 1988-1992: Bush (George HW)
    • 1992:1996: Clinton (Bill)
    • 1996-2000: Clinton (Bill)
    • 2000-2004: Bush (George W)
    • 2004-2008: Bush (George W)
    • 2008-2012: Obama (Barak)
    • 2012-2016: Obama (Barak)
    • 2016-2020: Clinton (Hilary)
    • 2020-2024: Potentially Clinton (Hilary) or another Bush

Or Michelle Obama. Partisanship-aside you potentially had two families as president for almost 30 of the last 40 years!!!

It's not often I agree with MisterAnarchy 😀 but he's right, the money involved in running a campaign limits the playingfield and results (Generally) in "safe" candidates.

I have always separated trump and the GQP from the GOP and it will be interesting to see where the GOP goes from here. They are obviously hitching their star on Santos. He is certainly towing the GOP and GQP lines (Although his speech about Florida being the one voice of sanity in the world ACTUALLY made me laugh out loud - There's a reason why "Florida Man" is a meme, dude). Do I agree with his politics? Absolutely not. I think he's just a cleverer trump. And he is certainly attempting to steal trump's... fans. But it will be interesting to see what the GOP does now. They have made their bed and had ample opportunities to distance themselves from the GQP with minimal impact to core voters.

Everybody's on about 2024... But what about 2028? What about 2032? What will the GOP be then? Will Jnr continue to ride his father's coattails?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭francois

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement