Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Left wing approved" Joe Rogan alternative

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

You have to pick a side round here. Otherwise it confuses them.

I think he is improving as an interviewer over time. But not at any great speed. It's a slow process. If you look at his first and last interviews with John Danaher for example - the latter was slightly better flow, less rigid, more fun. They covered the serious topics but also just had more of a laugh the second time around. Their conversation about who would win in a fight between a great cat, a grizzly bear, and a great ape was a good giggle.

His podcasts tend to follow a structure - but over time I think he has relaxed that structure a bit. Earlier on he seemed to basically be asking the exact same things of every guest in almost the exact same order. It had the feeling of his guest being just "plug and play" and incidental. You could look at the time stamp and pretty much know "Oh this is where he is going to ask about the meaning of life" or whatever.

But this rigidity is less so now more recently.

I hope he continues to improve as time goes on. Despite his robotic tone which has led his fans to suggest he is actually a robot installed here by visiting aliens to learn human behavior and society - over time he has come across as someone who is genuinely engaged, genuinely cares, is deeply emotional and very thoughtful. I have almost zero interest in Chess for example - but I have really enjoyed all the recent podcasts he has done on that topic and the guests he chose to have on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What he actually said:

"“Depends on what — I don’t think we have exact numbers, but it’s — if we’re talking about the drugs, it’s, I mean, millions,” Walsh replied in reference to hormone medication given to those who are transitioning.

“Millions of of kids have been on hormone blockers? Really?” Rogan pushed.

I’m sure someone’s gonna fact check me on it, but my guess is that we’re in — we’re into the millions now at this point. Yeah, that would be my guess,” Walsh replied.

Your "fact check":

The Reuters article did clarify that the 4,780 number could have been an undercount.They didn’t include treatment that wasn’t covered by insurance and were limited to pediatric patients with a gender dysphoria diagnosis.

Deary me.

Just listened to it myself. The whole Transgender area is something I have not gotten into and know almost nothing about. So I genuinely can not comment on the quality of much that he said or how he said it. Indirectly due to people like Rogan I have gotten the impression that it's an area where push back or questioning is either not encouraged, or positively suppressed. So if nothing else I guess it is good the guy is out there making a documentary. If the only thing it achieves is to counter any "chilling" effect on conversation - that alone is useful.

But I just got the feeling that he might not be the best person in the world to be that "champion". But I am so ignorant of that topic of conversation and have absolutely no dog in it - that this is all just vague impressions I felt arising in me as I listened. Some day I will sit down and immerse myself in the two sides of that conversation. Maybe that way madness lies :) The closest I have come to anything even remotely related to gender topics is that I raise my children in the most gender neutral way I can. In that I do not do things - or not do things - with them based on their gender but based on them as individuals. If I bake little pink fairy cakes or play with dolls - I try that with them all. If I train them martial arts, archery, rifles and hunting - I do that with them all. My daughter could write a plug and change the spark plugs in a car by age 7. I have 45 year old male friends who can not do that :)

If one of my kids ever comes home and tells me they feel they are not the gender they were assigned at birth or that they phenotype expresses - I at least know this will not be because I enforced some gender based structure on them that did not fit with their individuality - and that their feeling they are the "wrong" gender is not based on them in fact living the "wrong" life path, hobbies, interests and ways to meaning.

I did try to focus on his points and arguments more than statistics he was pulling out of thin air as "guesses". Throwing out a word like "millions" based on nothing is poor form. But they do not undermine his actual arguments really. One of his arguments was related to allowing children before the age of consent or the age of reason to influence or dictate choices that might - for example - impinge or remove their ability to procreate as adults. If that is what is happening (again - me 100% ignorant here) then that's a useful point to make regardless of whether we are talking 1000s or millions.

Certainly the latter half of the podcast had nothing impressive in it. It was just a conversation rehashing some of the worst anti gay marriage arguments that we went over and over in this forum during the Irish referendum. Rogan pushed back on most of it but not all and did well enough. There were people writing rebuttals to those arguments here on boards who did better than Rogan did. But written and spoken word is different. Who knows if any of those writers on here would have been as coherent or cogent on a live podcast. I have seen amazing writers fall apart in live settings like debating on stage or on radio for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭NiceFella

I had not seen that clip. I had seen adverts for his show during advertising on YouTube. Found his questioning to be krauss and obnoxious. Nice to see he is a hysterical spoofer too given his estimation is off by a factor of 1000. Confirms my initial distaste.

Would there be any point in listening to such a dishonest person again. What a muppet.

• Advertisement

I thought the second half of the Matt Walsh interview was funny as it showed him doing the same as what he accuses people of in the first half.

Zero self awareness in podcast form.

Joe rogan - "people on the left ... will spout out things as if they're facts". Imagine doing that Joe! Haha

Post edited by bokale on

It's clear that many on here have no idea or are pretending they don't know that fake news, cherry picking stories, out of context reporting and misinformation is not just something on Fox and right wing media. There have been several on left wing media too. Fox are probably the worst - but the likes of CNN are pretty bad too.

Yes, he makes mistakes, but he's not a reporter and he doesn't deliberately mislead people.

Those networks go out of their way to do it. They know they are doing it. That's the difference.

I think the definition of misinformation is that it's not deliberate, as opposed to disinformation.

I would agree though that the majority of the time it's more his ignorance causing the incorrect information. But at times he does spread incorrect information that would confirm his biases. He is more inclined to share something crazy about the people he does not agree with, and that's where people get caught as they are too quick to share the thing to score points without checking the veracity. You'll see it a lot on boards too.

• Advertisement

I agree with you.

Its human nature. He genuinely tries to overcome his biases, but fails sometimes, and admits as much. He very rarely doubles down.

That's what supposed independent news outlets are supposed to avoid by having teams behind them.

Tbh honest I've no experience with fox news or cnn. I can only imagine it works as both sides are happy watching the spin on the news that they want. As I can't imagine many of the core audience have any interest in changing their views.

It's the whole system there though - the left wing media are spinning the midterms as a vote for republicans is a vote for dictatorship, while the right wing are spinning a vote for democrats is a vote for legalised paedophilia.

Here's an example of one I heard by Anderson Cooper on CNN:

Anderson Cooper. President Biden drew a line between what happened January 6th and the attack on your husband. The President said, and I quote, ‘The assailant entered the home asking, ‘Where's Nancy, where’s Nancy?’ – those were the very same words used by the mob when they stormed the United States Capitol on January 6th.’ 

I mean what sort of a stupid statement is that? It's like something straight out of South Park or the Simpsons. He wants to attack Nancy, so of course he's going to say "where's Nancy". Joe Rogan would never say something this idiotic, even after 10 joints.

Pelosi is actually excellent and fair in this interview by the way, considering someone just tried to murder her, and nearly managed it with her husband. But Cooper ....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I mean what sort of a stupid statement is that?

Dunno what's stupid about it. See the guys mirandized confession. Other evidence suggest he was well bought into the Big Lie, Qanon etc. too

If I have to explain why that's a stupid statement, it's a waste of time explaining. Meanwhile here's a relevant Simpsons video

I don't get your point. Of course DePape wanted to assassinate Nancy Pelosi. My point is the way Anderson Cooper phrased it. Classic Tucker Carlson.

Where does it say DePape said "Where's Nancy" because that's what the 6th of January MAGA invaders of the senate said as Cooper implied ? Rather than "Where's Nancy" because he was looking for her and wanted to know where she was?

Ah I think Rogan has said as idiotic things. But we'll have to agree to disagree without some agreed on scale ha!

Anyway enjoy Rogan and don't watch CNN, it's worked for me!

Well it certainly, matter of factly, echoes the other though doesn't hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

It is purely coincidental that his mistakes consistently reinforce the anti-trans, anti-woke anti-whatever agenda his guests hold. It's clear that the Spotify legal team had a word after his friend's teacher wife's kitty-litter lie from a few weeks back.

Advertisement