Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭eltoastero

Fair points. Curious if it's possible to dictate the charging power at a DC charger in a Tesla? I know I can't (Kia) but if anyone can it's likely to be in a tesla.

Ultimate first world problem there: "My car charges too fast".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I agree, I know you can drop the AC charge rate from the car but not sure about a DC charge, a LR or P model will piss the kWh into it, can take more than Castlebellingham has to offer (speed wise)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I'd agree with that to an extent, fast food and fast charging do tend to exist together unfortunately, still based on the quick fuel stop model

I'd love to see better food at charging stops, but that tends to result in longer waiting and then you need to nudge drivers to stop using the chargers beyond what they need

Maybe instead of an overstay fee, the price per kWh should increase as the car reaches a higher SoC. Maybe 25% extra over 80% SoC and 50% extra over 90% SoC?

Overstay fees should kick in 5 mins after the car hits 100% or after 45 mins, whichever is sooner. Then the overstay starts increasing after 15 mins

Something to get the driver to be a good citizen and move the car after they've got enough charge

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's all back to the problem of kWh's not being the limited resource on a DC charger. Currently eCars model applies an €8 charge per 45 minutes with the first 45 minutes free. Perhaps charging 10c/min plus the per kWh fee would be fairer and encourage optimised use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

I wonder how many drivers on boards have a company EV that they get reimbursed using Ecars/Easygo?

Tesla payment error - first I’ve heard of this, I thought they were bulletproof?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Credit cards expire….. and are renewed….

I don’t know about anyone else but it’s a pain in the absolute hoop having to go to about 10-15 various services to update my card details every few years….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

I wonder how many drivers on boards have a company EV that they get reimbursed using Ecars/Easygo?

More likely to have a charge card rather than getting re-imbursed. All depends on your companies policy really.

I get reimbursed for the those chargers that I cant access on my charge card. Theres no single fleet payment system Im aware of yet that covers all chargers.

Interoperability between electric charging providers will become an ever increasing problem in this country as the network grows and the Govt dithers with EV policy.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have a company EV and an EasyGo account. It covers EasyGo, Ionity and eCars chargers.

I'd love to know how that works in practice, does your employer just pay for public charging and home charging is your own expense?

Does you employer pay anything towards home charging?

Or is it like a petrol car where you're supposed to use the charging card for all your business mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A company car generally covers all mileage, uses and costs, hence the BIK payback.

Its only when claiming mileage on a private car that an employee must detail specific business use without BIK.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Employer pays for public and home charging, and I'll be heading into BIK territory from January. It's basically the same as when I had a Golf van and a diesel card.

+1 for this.

Home charging is paid for by reimbursement. Just need a charging unit that can provide a download of useage information and I reclaim that once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

ESB is planning on upgrading the galway retail park to add 4 more charging bays. what that means is yet to be determined but look out for the planning application (assuming they need one?). That spot appears busy with an existing 50KW DC charger, a taxi favorite along with Newcastle spot.

Remember, in ESB 4=3 😬

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

4 in addition to the existing 1? Those "bays" are for Taxis to queue in, right? Not like Ecars will put actually chargers in them.

Looks like it's needed given the usage stats I have:

Tesla won't go this route, in fact they go the opposite, on V2 sites where the stalls are full and therefore the charging rate is shared they drop the cost in certain locations to "compensate" for the "slow" charging.

I wouldn't agree with the 45minute overstay fee either, there are lots of early adopters out there with "slower" charging Teslas, and it was Tesla that lowered their charging speeds, would be unfair to penalise them a second time with an overstay fee whilst actively charging.

The Tesla overstay fee structure actually works, you stay an extra half hour in Mahon point and all stalls occupied then you pay €30 fee, that's a hell of an incentive to disconnect and move on/repark from a SuC, I seen it happen many times at SuC locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Also at busy sites it "recommends" charging only up to 80% and automatically sets the charging limit to 80%. You can manually adjust but it gives you the fair play value and if you really care about your fellow peers you move on. I find charging at ecars CB when 8 SuC are beside it, purely selfish, whatever the reasons.

I've seen the 80% a few times at UK sites, I think it kicks in above 50% but as there were still plenty of stalls left (12/16 stalls sites) I just ignored and topped up whilst stretching the legs. Agree on busy, just get enough to get home/next SuC and then leave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I agree that rather than the arbitrary €8 after 45 mins by ESB, the Tesla overstay model really incentivises you to "get off the pot", so to speak.

• if site is 100% utilised, it is €1 per minute overstay fee (no max limit)
    • If it is 50% utilised, it's €0.50 per minute (no max limit)

They give you plenty of warning, too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's quite difficult to provide that level of incentive and work with both federated and anonymous payment methods. Charging providers should be required to support tap&pay anonymous use and to allow roaming contracts with mobility service providers.

• Advertisement

Agreed, I'd say a three tier payment system

A Contract with monthly fee/equivalent

B PAYE sign up

C Randomer

Pricing to increase A through C and all have option to tap

I presume B should be PAYG, not familiar with chargers that pay you money 😉

But yeah, I agree completely. Add a per minute overstay fee and that's sorted

Now we just need to start our own public charging company 😁

Either that or @slave1 believes revenue should handle it directly and it gets added to your income tax

If you quit your job would that mean you get free charging?

LOL was in work doing the monthly salary!! PAYE on the MIND

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

Now 5 @ESBGroup

ecars high power "hubs" currently under construction, with planning in for a further 10.

#EVSummit22

• Registered Users Posts: 12,325 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Pie in the sky. They've been promising the earth for years.

I wonder if the site in Kimmage is a sign of things to come, now they've been ran out of the service station market a partnership with Supervalu could deliver a good suburban network.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Could be. Went down for a look recently. There will be 7 charging cables available when they commission the high powered unit. There are 3 bays marked for EV's on the ground.

• Advertisement

The high-power unit is already online, I used it last week. The site only has 3 charging cables that are useful 😉

Advertisement