Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭jmreire

Presently (and for the foreseeable future anyway) There is not a Ukrainian alive who will accept any peace negotiations with Russia. What was discovered in the liberated areas was shocking beyond belief. Barbaric is not a valid description of it. Murder, Rape and Torture of Men Women and Children. Theft and destruction of property. Terror on a massive scale, that's still on going. If support for Ukraine dropped in future, and Russia succeeded in taking Ukraine, Ukrainianians would fight on with their bare hands, if necessary, and make the Afghan resistance to the Russians look like a tea party. The pain that Putin has inflicted on Ukraine will never be forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

The main issue I have with peace talks is that they are just delay talks. I can't see Russia giving up anything that shows they won't just re arm and invade Georgia in a year. There are no peace talks with Putin, as long as he is in power he will just work towards another invasion so that peace talks are not about peace.

I agree that war is horrific but how to create lasting peace is a big issue. Anything short becomes like Hitler and Stalin with an agreement used simply to get ready for the war itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

During a recent interview president Zelensky was talking about victory and a trip to Crimea to visit the sea ,

For anyone who's doubting the idea the Ukrainians will suddenly stop at Kherson,I think they are wrong I believe the will push all the way to the kirsch bridge, before blowing it up once every last Russian has left .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Reports coming out that Russia has abandoned Kherson.

If that's fully and officially verified then the theories that Kherson won't fall by the end of year have been fully turned on their heads and marks the worst outcome possible for Russia as of now.

First they couldn't take Kiev, then they couldn't keep Kharkov, then losing territory at alarming rates, to being humiliated by Turkey and now to losing Kherson.

Some turn of events, seems even the Ukrainians are curious as to why.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I can only speculate obviously but with the Russian leaning civilians evacuated and knowing Kherson was going to fall they can pull out, blow the dam (blaming Ukraine for it of course) and set up a new defensive line basically. It will slow down the Ukrainians quite a bit, will ensure the city becomes useless for the traitors (i.e. anyone not fleeing the Ukrainian army) and buy them time to fortify a line on the other side of the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Kherson needs to be approached with caution. Russia may well have run from it and they may well have some devil's plan for whoever arrives. I read in the other thread [Russia] that Russians in civil clothing may well be planning to attack Ukraine units entering the city while spooks and their doppelgangers video it for online posting claiming Ukraine units are shooting civilians.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Absolutely. It appears to be "abandoned" by the Russian administration, however what forces lurk there I don't know. I would say Ukr will approach very carefully.

The Kiev independent has admitted via their Twitter account that the story of the Russians abandoning the city are fake they are, of course, blaming the Russians for making up the story to try and lure them into a trap and Russia are blaming Ukraine for spreading the initial disinformation to sow fear and panic amongst the population.

Truth is, indeed, the first casualty of war.

Which tweet?

There are many conflicting reports about Kherson, some are that Russian roadblocks have been abandoned, that certain administrative buildings are abandoned - it's hard to know whether these are true, partially true or false, and whether it's all on purpose as part of an operation against the city.

The Russians could be laying a trap, sowing false info, likewise the Ukrainians could be doing the same to mask the on-going operation.

Everything should be taken with a pinch of salt, until better corroboration comes in.

That said, your posts fixate on anything at all that can throw a negative light on Ukraine and it's international support. The truth indeed.

I'm sorry if you see my posts as being negative towards Ukraine. All I want is the truth about what is really happening on the ground. We have done a lot to support the Ukrainians taking in tens of thousands and paying millions to put them up in hotels and even build houses for them. I think with all of that, we are owed the truth.

The tweet I saw was from the Kiev independent. To be honest, I'm too lazy to scroll back through their Twitter feed to try and find the said tweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"We are owed the truth."

No, we're not owed the truth right now from Ukraine about any military deception operations they are planning.

And if a Ukranian newspaper was genuinely taken in by a Russian disinformation campaign, who "owes" you the truth?

The Russian liar or the Ukranian victim?

Or maybe, you are still not owed anything - Ukraine knows it is a deception, but had to play along, because it doesn't want Russia to know that it knows.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

All I want is the truth

It's a country being invaded, they are fighting for their lives and survival, they have to produce some propaganda, also information blackouts, even disinformation to misdirect the enemy (e.g. the claims of a big offensive in the South, when the real offensive was in the East)

Hence we take info with a grain of salt until later corroborated.

Your personal views of Ukrainian refugees has absolutely nothing to do with whether they take Kherson or not, nor whatever information is being released about it (or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I’d hazard a guess that there is a large overlap between the both-siders, secret Russian supporters who are afraid to come clean, peaceniks, war truthers, and conspiracy theorists. Actually, the playbooks are so similar they are probably one and the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's an inconsistent application of outrage over the issue of duplicity, holding Ukraine up to unequal standards:

Russian dissembles? How awful, but that's Russia for you I guess.

Ukraine dissembles? WELLLLLL WELL WELL; so much for heroic Ukraine!

You'd wanna be severely naive to think everything coming out of Ukraine, from Ukranian sources, is the unvarnished truth but equally Kherson is such a fluid scenario I'd be slow to immediately condemn flakey information when it's clear there's "stuff going on".

As nuts as it is the grim fact is some Irish people hate Ukrainian refugees or support Putin or loathe the West to an extreme degree or whatever. They are "smart" enough to to know these are ridiculous positions to have, so they mask them. Behind the usual "I'm just asking questions" or whatever mental gymnastics. For a short period it can work, but over time obvious red flags are obvious.

Demonstrates a complete inability to treat Russia as a moral actor. Only the West has agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The least you could do is get the name of the publication right.

Horrific details of Russian atrocities in Bucha.

I am posting it here to forestall any denialists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

Adverbial , Do you NOT realise that such information you require is the same as ‘ commercially sensitive ‘ information. So we will not be getting it and I , for one, will not be expecting it. Such information that you require will be released in due course when it is no longer useful to anyone - BUT ESPECIALLY THE RUSSIANS ans Ru sympathisers.

you are an experienced Boardie and have been a prolific contributor to this thread. So I am REALLY wondering why you have now raised this lack of this information at this time when you consider my above point. Would love to get your reason for raising the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

That doesn't impress the deniers. Apparently either the Azov regiment or MI6 (or both) sneaked into Bucha just after the Russians left, tortured amd murdered scores of pro-Russian guys and then slekaddled just in time for the Ukranian army to arrive and put the blame on the Russians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

The thing is, this is common knowledge. Russia committed crimes against humanity.

At this stage, anyone who denies this can't have the excuse of not knowing, or whatever bullsh*t reason they give.

They are not to be viewed as decent people IMO. They support this carry on and probably get off on it. I would have no hesitation to describe such a person as a scumbag.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

looks like E. Musk is playing hardball over the space X comms network. Buying tweetland might have left him with cash flow problems!

Dan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Must be amended that this is the same Musk who believes Ukraine should cede territory to Russia - for peace of course - IIRC also that they should de-arm, and give up designs on Crimea. Much like his thoughts of Taiwan involved the island simply joining China, I'm sure it has nothing to do with his local business interests.

Though the way the narratives have gone, especially for anyone who frequents the CA forum, criticising Musk immediately qualifies me as a bitter Woke'ist anti-free speech leftie, merely incapable of dealing with Musk's superior business intellect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think Musk has just discovered that running a social media platform is not rocket science!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Massive news just out, the Russians have ordered their army to abandon Kherson on the same day that their installed leader of Kherson was killed in a car crash.

Essentially means Ukraine have retaken Kherson.

Huge blow to Putin.

The Russians seem to be making a big play of it... I hope they havent left some nasty surprises.

Yeah my immediate thoughts are this isn't as simple as reported. Especially if the Russians themselves are announcing it. If ever there was a time to drop the dirty bomb (accuse others that of which you're guilty etc)

What is really going on in Kherson we will not see for a few days yet. I can't see Russia just walking away considering the fuss they made about keeping it only a week ago. Great care must be taken by Ukraine units that move in to look about.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

I would expect the Kherson residents /army would be extremely cognicent of the type of ‘presents’ that the withdrawing Ru army would have left for them. And therefor proceed accordingly

The Ru may send bombs , etc, across the river to try and level Kherson to the ground and keep out the pop/army from occupying it. But apart from that holding on to it should not require a large Ukr army presence . After all the Ru have vacated it and the Ukr can keep a close eye on Ru movements in the meantime

r

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I expect a certain dam further up will suddenly experience sabotage by Ukrainian special forces assisted by the UK announced by Russia 5 min before it "unexpectedly" blows up as Russian soldiers were bravely defending it. Not only blowing up the bridge to the other side but also by pure coincidence flood significant parts of Kherson.

Advertisement