Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

When the N40(N) -> N25(E) link opens, it will be a bit chaotic for the first few days as the lanes on the roundabout will essentially swap with the N40(N) -> M8(N) movement. Expect massive amounts of weaving as people get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Would think there’ll be quite a media campaign to inform motorists ahead of this change.

Would think the recently installed gantry at the tunnel exit will have signs informing motorists for lane usage too

Let’s hope the revised lane markings on the roundabout are fine correctly. They revised the lanes last in about 2006 and it was a mess for ages with drivers all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The weak point of the design for me is the bit between the M8 south-east junction and the turn off to the new little island barbell.

Traffic going from M8 South (from Watergrashill) to N25 east (towards Midleton) and traffic coming from Tunnel to Glounthaune/Little Island, have to cross over each other within about 200m. Had to happen somewhere I guess if they were to avoid another flyover, but it'll be one to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Not ideal but there are a few others like this on the national network. M1N/M50 to the airport turnoff and also the N7S/Redcow to the Luas P&R spring to mind. I'm sure there are a few others.

• Advertisement

It occurs only a mile or 2 away at Bloomfield and it doesn’t cause many issues there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There isn’t mega volumes coming from the M8 to the N25 either, which will help.

Plus some of the M8S -> N25E traffic may have been going to Little Island/Glounthane and may now use the new junction instead, and stay in the left lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm a little nervous of it too... but the predominant movement in the mornings on that merge will be M8S, but in the evenings from the tunnel. I hope it won't cause any problems though or the whole thing will grind to a halt.

The thing is, its not just an extra flyover to fix it, its an entire additional layer onto the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Here's the section between the tunnel and N40 East unrolled, and roughly to scale (dotted green line is where a barrier or even just a tiger-tail is likely to be used to separate traffic streams). It really is not as bad as people are making out:

The key point is that traffic on the N25East mainline is not involved in this junction at all, which greatly reduces weaving.

I picked through this a lot earlier in the post linked here: N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction] - Page 61 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Post edited by KrisW1001 on

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

The lane restriction north of the tunnel has been reduced a bit further this morning.

• Advertisement

Good. But I hate to say that despite what they said they'd do, they made it worse for a few days again, as the crane came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

New signage went up between Mahon & Tunnel last night and more coming over the next few nights in preparation for the opening of the N40 N/E - N25 E loop. Names are covered in washable grey paint.

So left hand lane for those heading east as someone else mentioned a few days ago .

One the interchange is completed could the lights at the Dunkettle roundabout end up causing those who are heading east on the Waterford road to get stuck in traffic I wonder. Good possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

That unrolled graphic is a great way to visualise it!

Weekend opening of further slip roads possible?

Thats going to be pandemonium if eastbound traffic has to share the same lane as Tivoli bound traffic through the tunnel.

The traffic generally doesn’t back up from the Dunkettle Roundabout back to the Dunkettle Interchange though.

Saying all this, it will be a great opportunity to up throughput as all 4 lanes can be used. People rarely use the right most lane at the moment on tunnel exit.

You are right, traffic generally doesn't back up from the DK RA to the DK Interchange now but it could well do when you have free flow traffic from the South, the East and the North (pretty much) all hitting the RA at the same time.

Not really. The total number of cars is not changing, the new slip will add more queueing space for Tunnel-Tivoli traffic, and right now, the Dunkettle Roundabout is already able to accommodate Tunnel-to-Tivoli traffic without causing backups. Once all the western exits lead to free-flow movements, the roundabout will be able to carry more traffic (right now, the backups at the Dunkettle Interchange are the major cause of delays on this roundabout). It may even be possible to remove the lights entirely but I suspect they will be left as-is.

The lane restrictions on the exit of the tunnel are now fully removed.

• Advertisement

Traffic from tunnel to Dunkettle Roundabout is being metered either the lights. When it moves to free flow, some of the traffic queuing through the tunnel will instead be queuing at the Dunkettle Roundabout. The only question is whether there is enough traffic for it to back up to the Dunkettle Interchange.

I don't think there is enough traffic for that to happen. Right now, traffic for Tivoli from the tunnel clears at every green-light phase on the interchange roundabout: that suggests that (as far as Tivoli/Glanmire bound traffic is concerned) there is higher capacity to west of the interchange than there is through the tunnel. The new interchange will provide a longer queueing lane for this westbound traffic, and the Dunkettle roundabout itself will also flow more freely as it won't be subject to backed-up congestion caused by traffic leaving for M8 or tunnel getting caught on the interchange roundabout lights, so overall the delays to traffic turning west out of the tunnel should be lower than at present.

I get what you are saying but you'd expect that after spending close to 1/4 of a billion that the junction would be as close to free flowas possible, and not just hope that "overall delays to traffic turning west out of the tunnel should be lower than at present", seeing as the junction regularly backs up to Douglas and beyond at present.

Time will tell I suppose.

It’s impossible to tell if it clears at every light sequence as traffic going to Tivoli is mixing in with traffic going up the M8 (Left most lane has a mix of traffic).

Only way to tell if there is enough traffic is to see what happens when it goes free flow. I think it is possible that it could back up, especially if the interchange alters traffic flows around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I think in the next 10/20 years there'll be plans to upgrade the Dunkettle Roundabout to a flyover. Coming from Tivoli, you'll have

....freeflow East.

....slip road to a mall roundabout with a left turn to Glanmire,

....opposite side of the new flyover will be an access road to the plans for Port of Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yep I think it needs that access to Tivoli to be sorted pretty soon.

“Tailbacks to Douglas’ are not caused by the relatively small amount of traffic that goes through the Tunnel in order to head towards Tivoli. And no project, no matter how expensive, will remove the kind of freak traffic conditions that would see N40 Eastbound backed up that far today.

To explain why the new interchange actually helps traffic heading west here, remember that roundabouts are one-way roads, so every road off is potentially a source of blockage to every road on. If you free up traffic on the roads downstream of the roundabout exits, you free the roundabout, and increase its throughput. That, plus the increased queuing space between the tunnel and the Dunkettle roundabout will improve traffic flows west from the interchange... The lights on the roundabout are only a problem if they cause traffic for that motion to block the interchange. I have never seen that happen under the current arrangement, so why would it after the capacity there is increased?

We need to have some realism too: nobody’s going to spend another 50 million just so you don’t have to stop briefly at a set of traffic lights on your way into a places that are already full of traffic lights. There are national roads projects in and around Cork city that are far more deserving of that kind of investment (N71 for instance).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was going to ask will they wait to open the new links until this is done but if already gone, guess that's the answer

I think you may be underestimating the volume of traffic that heads to the city via the tunnel. Added to this the fact that this traffic is currently gated by the interchange lights and will flow directly to the RA once the interchange is complete.

Nobody knows what will happen but I think there is a good chance the lights at the RA will affect the flow of traffic northbound through the tunnel.

• Advertisement

Completely agree with this assessment.

just to add to it though. Put a flyover on the Dunkettle Roundabout and you simply might have traffic backing up to the Dunkettle Interchange from Silversprings. It does reduce the likelihood of the DI bring blocked up though as there would be more room for traffic to queue.

Advertisement