Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

⚡️ Ukraine has asked the USA to start supplying C-RAM systems to counter Iranian drones, ABC News.

VR head Ruslan Stefanchuk has sent a letter to the US Congress asking it to hand over C-RAM air defence systems to the Ukrainian military to defend against Iranian drone attacks on Ukraine's critical infrastructure.

Hopefully they will get them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Maybe the Russians are attempting to entice UKR forces into formerly occupied area and to blow the dam? Suspect they won't be rushing in.

If that is the Russian tactic, it's pretty stupid and worthy of a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There was zero chance Ukraine were going to destroy that dam for a short-term military gain like that. The Russians seemed to be worried they would alright because they probably would have done it if the positions were reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭storker

Hitler's Atlantic Wall was more hype than reality, and he had 3+ years to prepare it. Let's see how the Russians do.

Post edited by storker on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

Those defenses will be good for training novices in the use of long-range artillery from the west bank.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

A combination of 155 mm artillery/Himars to take out the russian defences and cover the offensive and Storm shadow/SCALP cruise missiles or atacms to take out command centres,ammo depots,bridges and supply routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭storker

Posted on Twitter by historian James Holland: a casualty report from the Battle of Anzio. An interesting illustration of how bad casualties can get, and this was in a time without drones, when artillery was less accurate, and most rifles were bolt-action.

Note how the author comments that the casualties represent a complete tunrover of the rifle companies (i.e. over 100% casualties over the period). I'm assuming the comment "Officers and NCOs very short and everyone strange to each other" means that the high casualty/replacement rate means that command teams are less experienced and have had little chance to "gel" with each other, rather than meaning that everyone is cranky and avoiding each other (although both could be true). I imgaine a Russian officer reading this today would be nodding his head in full understanding.

("Offrs" = Officers, "O.R." = Other Ranks)

Post edited by storker on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That just looks like someone's phone camera not being able to deal with exposing the sun and the dark foreground, and blowing out the highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Have a feeling they are letting the holding force on the south bank that they're part of a tactical withdrawal and not going to be expected to hold onto the city. Otherwise they might decide "sod this for a game of cowboys" and take off on their heels

Real question is are they going to blow that dam and I expect they will, hence all the gumflapping about making sure that any civvies who want to leave can do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Likely scenario is that both sides will fortify their side of the river and fighting moves to other areas of the front.

A river assault would be hugely risky and costly over whoever tried to undertake it. I cannot see Ukraine risking their more precious resources on such an endeavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No need for the Ukrainians to cross the river at Kherson. They can leave Kherson abandoned. Go North, cross the River at Zaporizyzhia, bring the pain from the North. The Russians only options then will be retreat to Crimea, or be cornered into the Peninsula below Kherson..... Or go back across to Kherson, which they really don't want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Agree, I think any attempted crossing of the river would be foolhardy and unnecessary. The M777s do have a longer range than the 2S3s however, so the Ukrainians can pound away at Russian positions on the left bank while remaining out of counter battery range. You could envision a scenario where Russia have to keep their heavier, less mobile equipment out of range of the Ukrainians and further away from the river. A HIMARS in Beryslav would squeeze slightly further the supply routes into Crimea, restricting it to the rail line and road through Melitopol.

Eh, I never liked her anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Terribly bad luck for this deputy head of Kherson.

I mean what are the chances he'd die in a terrible car crash the very same day the Russians admit defeat in Kherson and announce their retreat. Wrong place wrong time I suppose.

Poster boy for annexation in the region according to C4 news apparently.

What.are.the.chances!

Post edited by Call me Al on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Should Ukraine attempt to beat some of the Russians across the river or at least try and get a relatively large group of saboteurs across that could then assist any future bridging attempts. While already very improbable the odds will shorten rapidly from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

At Zaporizhzhia direction Russian army shelled Stepove and Charivne of Zaporizhzhia region, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

Dundalk, Co. Louth

At Novopavlivka direction Russian army shelled Velyka Novosilka, Volodymyrivka, Vremivka, Vuhledar, Mykilske, Neskuchne, Pavlivka, Prechystivka and Shevchenko of Donetsk region, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement

At Avdiyivka direction Russian army shelled Avdiyivka, Vodyane, Krasnohorivka, Maryinka, Nevelske, Netaylove, Novomykhaylivka, Opytne and Pervomayske of Donetsk region, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Cocktails in Crimea summer 2023 is still on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Do russian troop lorries carry munitions in a section underneath the seated soldiers?

There seems to be another compartment between the body of the lorry and where the mobiks are standing/riding on.

At Kupiansk and Lyman directions Russian army shelled Berestove, Krokhmalne and Cherneschyna of Kharkiv region; Makiyivka, Nevske, Novoselivske, Ploschanka and Stelmakhivka of Luhansk region and Terny and Yampolivka of Donetsk region, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

Dundalk, Co. Louth

At Slobozhanschyna direction Russian army shelled Ambarne, Budarky, Vilkhuvatka, Hoptivka, Dvorichna, Zemlyanky, Milove and Starytsya of Kharkiv region, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

3 negative reports against UA in a row, clearly comrade is under pressure.

The Russian front is a long one as can be seen from the above, the loss of Kherson though likely regrettable to Russia is but a small section of it, the war will not be won in 2022

Post edited by Hobgoblin11 on

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

My god, you offered an opinion instead of a link dump. Is everything ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

It will be interesting to see how complete this withdrawal from the west bank of the Dnieper is and how organised it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Lol

All Eyes On Rafah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement