Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

As a 'normal person' what do you think of Current Affairs/IMHO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's the internet.

People go online and pick up all sorts of batshit crazy nonsense about other people that they have never, ever, once come into contact with in the real world. They then go onto the web and repeat the batshit crazy nonsense about other people that have never, ever, once come into contact with in the real world and the cycle repeats ad nauseam.

As for conspiracy theory, it used to just be a bit of gas that was mainly the realm of a few odd balls. Gibberish like fake moon landings or secret Arctic nazi bases were all just pretty harmless. The problem is nowadays, conspiracy theory has been weaponised by a certain cohort of politics and is used to rile vulnerable and stupid people up leading to idiotic utterances about Democrats using pizzerias as child abuse dungeons or the scenes we saw on Jan 6th in the US. This is where conspiracy theory has become truly dangerous and has gone beyond being a bit of gas that some might want to indulge in to pass an hour.

There is a clear journey of how this has evolved since the 9/11 inside job "theories" that were passed around 20 years ago. But at least they had some genuine debate surrounding them. These days, all some twat has to say is that the election was stolen and they'll have a ton of nodding idiots lining up to agree...and all without a single bit of elaboration, never mind actual evidence to support the, so called, "theory".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Anyway, the woman who does my hair has a box of candles and touches, batteries she got during the lockdown as she believed the powers that be were using covid as an excuse to close down utilities and bring in marshal law as a prelude to grabbing power.

Now it was never clear if it was the looney left or the loony right doing this and I'm not sure she really understood exactly why anyone would be doing that anyway, never the less she was getting herself prepared.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

The old argument that certain factions used to trot out was that it's a private platform whenever someone was banned for expressing a controversial opinion that they disagreed with..

I'm a fan of either but when Alex Jones and Donald Trump were banned. Suck it up it's a private platform was the consensus among people who disagree with them.

I just want to see what happens when the same idiotic logic is applied to the people with opposite opinions.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

Nobody is arguing against it being a private platform, no matter who owns it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

What are opinions opposite to trump and alex jones exactly, people who believe the election wasnt stolen or people who dont think the parkland shooting was fake? Why would these views be banned when there is a shed load of evidence to support those two positions. CA does allow alot of conspiracy theories to be mentioned without bans but im not sure it adds to the quality of discussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

You know very well who I'm referring to "dude".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I don’t like to assume, H. Especially after getting it wrong with thinking it was McMurphy and the “Big 10” you were referring to.

Now, a chara, why don’t you “enlighten” the congregation, hmmm?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Honestly? Wipe your arse with what people say on after hours and current affairs.

I don't say that as someone up their own backside either it's just well you will meet oddballs, wind up merchants, serial moaners, people who want to win an Internet argument, I could go on in those forums. Plenty of other normal forums on here.

What is normal?

When I was a 16 year old Christian Brothers student we were told by a priest they were looking for vocations from "boys from the right sort of families" i.e. "normal" families. We all know what kind of organisation that was. That was normal then.

Now normal seems to be to only report on things using the privilege hierarchy and silence anyone who has any questions. All for diversity and tolerance as long as it's not related to ideas.

So yeah I don't ever want to be normal. It was normal that made all the dictatorships and genocides of the world possible. The best people are far from normal.

• Advertisement

Not falling into your trap Dude. Everyone knows who i'm talking about, you included.

I’m not sure that you know, yourself, at this stage, bub. I’m, certainly, lost.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's an anonymous message board; I'm not sure what the big deal with saying what you mean is. Seem like some kind of in-joke among a small group at this stage, which doesn't make for engaging content for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It's because posters try to goad others into saying something overt that can get you sanctioned by Mods

Directly accusing emmetspiceland of sockpuppeting is a no-no, but doing lots of thinly veiled stuff somehow gets away with it. Same goes for hand-wringers accusing people in a thread of all being racists, but when probed will never actually name a poster or post. It's all very tiresome.

Then you get a page or two of back and forth that goes something like:

A: Can you point to a post where I said something racist?

B: Plenty back in the thread to look at

A: So you can't point me to a post?

B: I dont want to do your work for you

repeat until Mods intervene

It does appear to attract a certain sort of man (and it’s always men) who are simply incapable of letting something go. Fussy and precious sort of fellas. The type who can dish out criticism, but are unable to process any criticism sent towards them or their political outlook.

• Advertisement

Well, you’re, certainly, persistent, H. I’ll give you that. But you’re also wrong and the “obsession” is become, more than, a little unhinged.

Could you not go bother someone else for a bit?

• could you please stop using commas so much man, Christ.

they, don’t, go, after, every, word.

It makes it so hard to read your posts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Don't think this thread is playing out the way OP thought it would :/

i like emmet just fine around the place mostly but tbh the punctuation as performance thing is enough for a permaban

• Have no issue with him either but that really bugs me and it was so obnoxious in the last two posts I couldn’t hold back.

sorry emmet you’re a fine chap imo I’ve never had any run ins but just that grates me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Really, L, it, “grates”, you, like, a, mature, cheddar?

im sorry everyone for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

FWIW, I think "Emmet" is one standalone dude, but the other members of the "dude" gang are a split-personality multi-username single entity..... compradre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What the hell is sock puppeting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That’s just odd.

What does it mean to accuse someone of that- like what are you calling them?

• Basically making multiple accounts to say the same thing/bolster your opinion or make it look more legitimate by way of support which is secretly all just you talking about how great you/your opinion is

Oh. Ok.

Could we not just call it multiple accounting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I think it is talking to yourself and answering back in different voices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I dont really understand those photo things. Never have.

Not sure if that makes me a normal person or not!

The giphs? I love them and I believe that makes me the strange one 😆

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

apologies reading on phone and didnt read that post to begin with

bit of light leg pulling hopefully emmet would know that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It is good to have a place to discuss more serious topics and not having it clog up AH.

CA is defined by the regular posters who tend to fall on opposite sides. There is one endless rivalry that can get particularly tiresome. Some posters display a lot of knowledge and seem to post from an honest place. These can contribute to an interesting debate and some threads can be quite fascinating.

Unfortunately, there also some prominent posters who prefer to post glib, simplistic interpretations of events. They also refuse to answer direct questions which may expose their own flaws, they may change their argument while pretending it was the same all along. They rely on random anecdotes in the face of studies, facts and statistics and engage in bad faith arguments. Whataboutery and 'both sides' are other tactis used to change the course of the debate. Certain posters seem to have an endless desire to defend their 'side' whatever the topic, in almost parody fashion.

There's also two tiresome tropes used to shut down debate: questioning why people on an Irish website are interested in what goes in some other country and those who ask for links and then question the source provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

...and, in fairness, some sources should be questioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I agree but refusing to engage just because the links are from 'MSM' isn't going to help the debate.

Similarly, I understand the desire to dismiss sources that are known to be BS but you could at least dismantle the piece and explain why its inaccurate.

• Advertisement

@HalloweenJack

I agree but refusing to engage just because the links are from 'MSM' isn't going to help the debate.

No. But those people aren't interested in a debate in the first place. They're only here to shill for a particular edgy "opinion", or to spout off about their target de jour, or to try and win the internet. So, you can write that type of poster off fairly easily. In any case, most of that type tend to have their arses banned at some point, so it's neither here nor there anyway. People like that just aren't worth the effort of typing even a one lined response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Its just brutal.

Its an echo chamber.

Its overwhelmingly male, aggressive, extremely hostile to dissenting voices.

It reflects badly on boards that its been allowed gain such momentum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I would say there is one poster that years ago that gave up even trying to debate, realising it's futile primarily, they invented 3 different alter egos and posts as a separate alter ego depending on their mood although one of the alter egos seems to be having a bit of a rest. They do this because they realsie the absurdity of arguing with people on social media.

They come across as intelligent, kind, and a bit lonely and they are having a great laugh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As someone who regularly asks for sources, I always click on them unless it's from some guff site like gript or InfoWars. It's far from rare that they back up a user's argument. It's not unheard of that they in fact show the opposite. I recall recently asking for a source for a claim that David Cameron was responsible for passing same sex marriage here in the UK (It was down to Liberal Democrat MP Lynne Featherstone more than anyone). I got a link to a quote where he said he had barely anything to do with it!

I do appreciate that asking for sources makes for unpleasant reading. The new excuse is that I wouldn't believe them so why bother. The fact is that right wing narratives have become ever more detached from reality. Look at Brexit, Trump, the Big Lie, anti-Semitic globalist dogwhistles and so on. On the other side, I don't touch the gender identity stuff with a pole. I'm happy to say that I don't have a single post here on that topic.

The real issue is that there's a horde of posters who spout white supremacy and only stop to push their baseless victimhood narrative about not being allowed to do so. It gets a bit tiring. I usually post on a few new threads here and there on CA but once this lot move in and poison the well, it's just not worth it sadly.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

She also spends her whole working life inhaling noxious chemicals. May be a link there.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Amount of folks that sit on a high horse accusing others of being weird,thus assumption is emselves being normal is bizzare

I know not a single normal person who uses message boards in this day and age, particularly not a dying one

That being said,the amount of varying POVs in current affairs can only be good thing.....but too many of em are just pure outrage culture (often on opposite sides same subject),and not enough give insightful/obscure information that is interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't touch the gender identity stuff with a pole. I'm happy to say that I don't have a single post here on that topic.

You accused J.K. Rowling of being a bully only recently. I was gonna say SOURCE but didn't bother :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

• Advertisement
Advertisement