Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EV Charger installation.

Options
  • 23-02-2022 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is it permissible to take the supply for an EV charger from the meter cabinet? I know this wasn’t allowed, has it been amended? Our neighbours recently got one installed and asked me to have a look. It looks like they Installed a 32Amp RCBO in an IP inclosure within the meter box.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, it's allowed now, but RECI haven't communicated it effectively. See the following thread for photos, etc.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058228435/ev-charger-connection-from-the-meter-box#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Thanks 10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Max88

Safe electric are issuing info on it in next couple of weeks as far as I know supply only allowed to be taken from cabinet only if not possible to get back to fuse board and rcbo has to be in ip enclosure outside the meter cabinet but should be clear enough in next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭micks_address

is there any update on this? for an older house - would this negate the need to upgrade tails and use new earth wiring etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I would say earthing upgrades depends on whether there's a supply upgrade for the EV at the cabinet or it's just branched off the supply that's already there

If the main protective device is upsized then everything has to change with it same as when you fit bigger tails on a regular upgrade

• Advertisement

i phone safe electric and they pointed me to the latest newsletter

im still not sure if i can get a meter box install -

It would also not be permissible to connect an EV charger VIA the Meter Cabinet for the following reasons:

• Pre-Pay Meter installed inside the property.

• It is not possible to switch off the supply at the Meter / Contractor Isolator

• Insufficient space in the bottom right-hand side to fit the Mains Protective Device only.

• Existing installation is not adequate to sustain the new load. Minimum of 12KVA 16sq tails + bonding. Note: Connecting the EV installation VIA the meter box should only be undertaken when all other methods are not available.

because my tails are older (10mm?) would the last point mean i can't do a meter box install anyway? or is it the supply taken off the esb wires for the smart meter which are 16mm?

im not trying to avoid anything here - just want to make sure i get the work done by someone that meets the regulations with the least amount of disruption to the house.

It looks like they're saying the supply must be minimum 12kva with correct tails and bonding/earthing before connecting EV at cabinet

That would be most modern installations

Older installations with 10sq tails wouldn't comply.

If you're upgrading main protective devices and the tails at the cabinet for a EV then everything else downstream has to match up

As has been discussed here previously, in theory the EV should be wired from the board in the house and this is what safe electric say in the bulletin

EV charging at the cabinet is for practical considerations and is throwing up a mess of considerations that never existed in practice before

-Wiring the rod from the cabinet now if none visible

-prepay meter in house ?

-does the tails and main board etc need upgrading if upsizing at cabinet? Yes they do

The theory always was that the cabinet was for ESBN equipment and consumer appliances were connected from the main board in the house

The new cabinets then should be suitable for EV and Esbn

Thinking on that they should have been changed long ago,maybe they're doing something

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Max88

Also if upgrading tails etc, surge protection is required and tests on existing installation recorded onTRS and their also looking for them to included in comments box of the cert. ZE PFC insulation res. Rcd and some zs from the existing installation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭horse7

What are tails?

The wires from your esb meter to your fuse board

Advertisement