Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Wonder what will Hasenhuttl's departure from Southampton mean for Bazunu? He's conceded the joint fourth highest amount of goals this season, albeit not culpable for many. But will a new manager want a more experienced keeper in goal, similar to Travers' situation at Bournemouth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

And have of those goals have come in three games against Spurs on the opening day, Man City, and now Newcastle. Looking like Luton's Nathan Jones is the favourite to get the job and for me that screams they want someone whose cheap and will do the job on a shoestring budget.

What Jones will give you you'll get with Sean Dyche and someone whose much more experienced but is likely to want a budget to sign his own players. Can see them wanting to sound out Jones as someone who'll come in and work with the players there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

9th of the season for Hogan. Our most prolific player by far.

It's a pity he never hits one of these purple patches when we've got an important international window. He'll surely get off the mark and score his first Ireland goal next week. Though if the FAI weren't stingy and had goal line technology at the Aviva he'd have gotten off the mark at home to Scotland.

Callum Robinson made his return from suspension tonight and got himself a goal and an assist. That's seven goal contributions (3G, 4A) in ten games since joining Cardiff.

• Advertisement

Another reason for the possible late naming of squads is this isn't an official international window and clubs don't have to release players. No Celtic players in the Scotland squad and Clark has said clubs don't have to release players this window and that's why there's no one from Celtic in it.

Could have an impact on us with Knight and Hourihane being refused from Derby as League One doesn't break, and Ogbene just back from injury Rotherham mightn't risk him over Washington and Kelly out injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Hopefully it means they'll have a manager who knows how to organise a defence in front of him. I would say that they are taking a sizable risk in appointing a manager who has no top level experience and only done a good job at one club.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

Hodge, Ronan, and Coventry all getting starts tonight in the cup. Wonder if it will be enough for any of them to convince Kenny of a call up. Think Coventry might have a chance because of the lack of back up to Cullen, but a big performance from one the Wolves' lads might temp Kenny.

Killian Phillips, Andy Moran, and Evan Ferguson are named on the benches tonight for Palace and Brighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Kelleher starts for Liverpool . Jamie McGrath has scored for Dundee United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Kelleher saved 3 pens in the shootout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

One of which was Hourihane's penalty.

Sammie Szmodics got the assist for Blackburn's 88th minute equalizer, then scored a penalty in the shootout as they knocked West Ham out. Wonder will he be in the squad tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hopefully he can get out of Liverpool soon. It's a crying shame he hasn't moved yet

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Can do a Van Gaal on it and bring Kelleher on if we ever make it to a shootout. Of the four I think he's saved penalties in two of them for the win.

Duffy's exclusion possibly a big statement that he'll need to leave Fulham in January. No Ryan Manning again. Smallbone gets his first call up and Jamie McGrath back in the squad and Derby have possibly blocked Hourihane and Knight. Ferguson gets a call up and think Hodge should have if Ferguson is there.

Finn Azaz likely wouldn't have been released if he was fit. Manning's exclusion at this stage is baffling as he's one the best performing Irish player in the championship.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I'd expect the omission of Manning to be one of the main talking points of his press conference.

I would have preferred to have seen Hodge ahead of McGrath.

I think Ferguson could link up well with either Ogbene or Obafemi. Hopefully see that in one of the games.

Lenihan ahead of Duffy is a good decision. Lenihan has played well for Boro since Carrick was appointed as Boro boss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hopefully Smallbone gets some minutes and hopefully Hourihane will never be in another squad. I'd be interested in hearing why Manning is not there aswell.

Great achievement for Evan Ferguson

Hourihane likely would have been there if Derby didn't block his call up. Similar it seems Duffy isn't there for personal reasons and would have been called up otherwise from Kenny's press conference.

Neil Farrugia, Rory Gaffney, and Brian Maher on standby. Likely to do with them being local rather than next in line to replace lads.

Manning ommission has to be either a personality clash or an attitude thing at this point.

Great that Hourihane has been blocked from joining up. Not so much Knight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Advertisement

Tom Cannon made his PL debut for Everton today away at Bournemouth playing the last 15 minutes. Mark Travers kept a much needed clean sheet in the same game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

McClean scored for Wigan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Still Ill

What was the settlement mentioned here that MON got off RTE? I don't recall hearing anything about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

MON comes across as still very bitter and talked some amount of rubbish about how he was perceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Seems like it was a libel case MON won against RTE from years before he became Ireland manager. MON I recall was a pundit for RTE in a World Cup tournament before starting his managerial career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I foresee a lot of tickets going on resale.

Who in their right mind thought he’d turn up for a tinpot friendly in that middle of the season when he could have a long break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Did anyone try the season tickets sale this morning? Was an unmitigated disaster for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv been watching more of Bazunu in recent weeks & i really don't think he is as good as people make out ,

A lot of goals he conceded are because of poor positioning & slow feet , HE will then make a couple of diving saves that a better keeper would move his feet & be in better positions & thus not need a flying save to make,

He is young & can improve loads but i think he has been very poor of late ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yep - claimed most of the stadium was available but then said nothing available when I actually clicked on it. Wasted ages, ticketmaster are such a crap company, it's so annoying they have a monopoly

Will Keane and Scott Hogan drop out of the squad with injury and Mark Sykes is called up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

If he wanted to call up a midfield player ,it's bizarre that it's not Coventry or Hodge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Worked for me in the end. Few available at €150 in 501/502

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭sekond

Yes, I gave up in the end. Said loads were available, but couldn't get anything with a child ticket anywhere except up the very back of the 500s, and even then when I tried to select it seemed to keep disappearing. I'll try again the morning of the general release and see if I get lucky. Otherwise it'll be just trying to get tickets in her preferred spot (near one of the goals, close enough that she can watch every move the keepers make!) before each match.

(I wish they'd do a season ticket for the WNT too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,491 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yeah I'm starting to have my doubts as well. He looked phenomenal in those early games for Ireland but a significant number of crucial goals that we conceded in the world cup campaign and the Nations League were long-range shots. Fair enough if it happens once or twice. When it gets to the forth time time though you begin to wonder if it's an issue with his positioning or concentrations levels (Luxembourg, Azerbaijan, Armenia home & away).

That first goal he conceded at the weekend for City was dreadful. It was like he was trying to run after it before diving far too late.

He was immense for Portsmouth in Division 1 last year. Perhaps a Championship club would have been better for him this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

in fairness there is not really a bad view in the aviva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

People often get duped into thinking goal keepers are great because of flying saves, But its normally only because there positioning or foot work is poor that they have to fly across the goal ,

Alisson for instance rarely has to fling himself because his foot work is incredible ,

Bazuno obviously has fantastic reflex's & there is a lot there to work with , He is the youngest keeper to play in the Prem this season

At 20 he still a baby in goal keeping terms so nothing to worry about long term but i just hip he see these holes & works on them ,

The one Alisson conceded looked worse so just shows even the best keeper in the world is prone to mistakes so wouldn't be too worried about Bazunu.

He'll only be 21 in Feb and learning his trade in one the toughest leagues in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,987 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If only I could get a refund for Thursday

Very unpopular opinion (and lads here can't wait to jump down my throat) but really see much value making the trip on Thursday. Always a gamble with friendlie squads but it's a real bummer for him to be 'rested' while he's clearly fit

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Haaland is under no obligation to play. The fault lies with the FAI here as they used Haaland in all their promotional material as if he was definitely playing. I can understand some people's disappointment but surely you were going to support the National team and not another country's player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Did the FAI use him to promote the game? Not contradicting you, just haven’t seen it or wasn’t paying attention to it myself. I know RTE did all right but that’s not on the FAI.

To other poster, you won’t get a refund.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah they did. FAI had ads all over facebook about Haaland coming to Ireland and get your tickets now. They used him massively in their promotions.

Children disappointed that a player won't be there yeah okay it's understandable but a grown man upset that an opposition player isn't gonna be there is sad. Grown man wishing for a refund, that's worse.

Hope the FAI made their money and are now laughing about it. Also don't think I've seen one ad from the FAI advertising Haaland. Advertising the match but not an opposition player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Is McClean not available for this game? He was at the FAI cup final so I thought he’d be playing on Thursday but it seems he’s not in this squad for the Norway game?

He was training with the squad at the Aviva yesterday.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to see the top players in the world playing. I once went to Barcelona partly to see Messi, Iniesta, Xavi et al playing for example.

On Haaland this may be one of the few chances I would get to see him in the flesh (unless we draw Norway in a qualifier at some point) so it is slightly disappointing that he won't be there however the larger part of me is relieved as he could have run us ragged.

The low point for me as an Ireland fan was in the Scotland match someone in the Ireland end begging for McTominay's jersey so I guess since Haaland is not playing it will stop that which is a good thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I’m more of an Alexander Sorløth man personally

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement