Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gluteus_Maximus

Interview with Dessie Hutchinson from Off the Ball https://youtu.be/BFBLraJj5E8

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

There are two Fitzgerald brothers playing for Clashmore-Kinsalebeg, two more Fitzgerald brothers (I think they are twins) playing for Kilrossanty, and two Fitzgerald first cousins playing for Ballygunner and Passage. Five of them played together in this year’s Waterford Under 20 team which, in my view, should have won at least the Munster title. And, of course, the manager is also a Fitzgerald. Maybe we should be shouting “Up the Fitzgeralds”, or perhaps the Fitzgerald battle cry (“An Crom Abú” – which happens to refer to Croom in Limerick) rather than “Up the Déise” next year!

I am glad to hear that Seán Walsh of Fourmilewater has been called into the county panel. With proper coaching, I think he could be a contender. He has the priceless ability to win ball in the air.

I was impressed by Dessie Hutchinson’s fortrightness in his interview which was all over the media. He made the point that Waterford should have celebrated their league victory and taken a short break before preparing for the championship. According to the RTE website, he said “maybe we didn't celebrate the league as we should have and reset it then towards the championship. We took no in-between. I know it was a short turnaround but sometimes you have to do that.

"I think it is important to come down off things. Give your mind a little break from the training. To be fair to us, throughout the league we were training very hard. We were fully focused on winning the league. After we won it, maybe you didn't feel like you won it because there was no change of mindset of what was happening the following day, no break. Straight on to the game against Tipperary.”

Hutchinson also seemed to welcome, or at least not be too pushed about, the departure of Liam Cahill. According to the report of the interview in the Examiner, he said: "Maybe it was the right thing, for that to happen [Cahill going to Tipperary], because we went as far as we could with Liam and things might have got a bit, 'What do we do next?'”

Interesting viewpoints (which happen to coincide exactly with my own) from a former professional sportsman and one of our leading players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

pat fitz is also named for his grandfather pat o'sullivan, pat was a first cousin of lay lay barry, his sons billy and shane played for waterford and his grandkids the mahonys are also of reknown, Shane o'sullivan was the first uncle to play with 2 nephews intercounty .

the fitzgerald connection is doing him no harm either

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Agree with that but Cahill will have learnt too and now he's back with a lot of players he won underage All Irelands with

Best to get that league game out of the way early

Game day gents, best of luck to the gunners, on paper should have this but can take nothing for granted , that was a long few weeks, glad to have the lads hurling, hope they give davy a show

• Advertisement

Best of luck to Ballygunner, Ballysaggart and Ballymacarbry ladies today in Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OEP

What's with that attitude in GAA where managers seem to think you have to train incredibly hard all of the time with no breaks, rest or time to celebrate as Dessie said. Professional teams in other sports don't take that approach. And by all accounts the Dublin footballers used to get time off when needed.

The GAA have to take some of the blame with the timings of the league final and start of the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

All to easy for Ballygunner but not really surprising. Next day out will be different.

Patrick Fitzgerald (MOTM) continues to impress. Paddy Leavy had some game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

Great Performance by the Gunners

• Advertisement

Fair enough but if you've been flogging players in training for months already, a few days off isn't going to cause their fitness levels to drop.

Good win for Ballygunner and now they move onto there biggest test of the year when they face Na Pairsaigh in Limerick in 2 weeks time.

Not the best of days for Ballysaggart in the Intermediate. Beaten 4-19-0-15 by Tipp champs Roscrea

Huge congratulations to Ballymacarbry on winning the Munster final and bringing home the 'Michael Ryan Cup'

Davy Fitz will be assembling his new panel and will likely want back some of the following

SOK ,Barry Coughlan, Ian Kenny, Philip Mahoney Pauric Mahony, Mikey Mahony, Dessie Hutchinson,Pat Fitzgerald ,Kevin Mahony, Billy O’Keefe ,as well as an outside chance for Harry Ruddle.,Conor Sheahen, Paddy Leavey,Jake Foley.

anyone i left in/out i shouldn't? i realise no way will he take 14 , but certain can expect to see 4-8 involved next year .

Hard to see SOK, Barry Coughlan and Philip Mahoney coming back

SOK returning would be massive for us

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I think Tadhg Foley should be in, and Paddy Leavey for me was a clear man of the match today. His ability to take passes and distribute the ball is second too none, and today he showed an ability to win ball in the air which we have not seen before.

And congratulations to Seamus Power on moving to first place in the US golf rankings today. If he hadn't taken up golf, he could have been a Waterford senior hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

Is it not fed ex rankings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Was a brilliant hurler himself too

remember him scoring 5 goals in an u12 match for Naomi brid had a serious potential

Is that true about Seamus Power or just the urban myths of Waterford sports people where the 'oh they could of played senior for Waterford If they didn't choose xxxx' is always mentioned

He was very good at racket ball - so I'm not sure if he played a whole lot of hurling. Racket ball would talk up a lot of time, and couple that with his golf that couldn't have left much time for hurling! But if he's good at both of those sports I can only imagine he'd have the talent to be good at almost any other sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

That’s right he played a lot of handball too. He played hurling up until u14 then the golf had taken over but he was a brilliant forward could score from anywhere and killer instinct in front of goal too. Never said he’d play senior for Waterford who can ever tell that but he was a massive loss for sure

• Advertisement

TBF managers are getting more clued into this and that thinking has started to be removed form the game, flogging lads leaves them nothing left for games ,10 years ago whendonegal won the football this was all the rage be fit run drills excessively ,overly controlled gameplan .

physios have a bigger say in the team nowadays and managers are begginging to listen,well most of them

I would also ssay GAA were playing catch up the last year or 2 trying to condense the season so effectively trying to play a yesars worth of games in 46 weeks or whatever , thankfully this year,the club championship is over in the calender year ,so we will see it better spaced next year

Jan /Feb college comps /IC pre season comps

Feb/March league

April is club month

May-July Championship

August-Dec back to club season

no more of this 5 and 6 weeks between games and half your club players missing for most of the league

GAA HQ also deserve credit for not pulling players into multiple grades , so no one is playing minor/u21/senior all at once

These changes should see a reduction in burnout and make it easier to juggle club and county duties

Club Championships will run into 2023 with the AI senior finals slated for 22nd January 2023. The weeked before the start of the National leagues

From 'Irish examiner'

'A decision has yet to be made regarding the All-Ireland senior club hurling semi-finals, which are scheduled for December 17/18, the same weekend as the World Cup final in Qatar. The football semi-finals have been moved to January and the hurling matches, given the proximity to Christmas, could follow suit.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

It's a very interesting match for Ballygunner. They could give Waterford a huge shot in the arm if they win in the Gaelic Grounds. The fact of the matter is Limerick have beaten Waterford in every game that counts for 5 years. Waterford teams need to start winning in Limerick. No excuses. Its a big deal.The pitch is span new, beautifull. It ll suit Ballygunner. I think they've a better squad aswell. Na Piarsaigh have an excellent 15 to 18 but they don't have the 20 to 25 of Ballygunner.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

The match in 2 weeks time will have no bearing in any future Limerick v Waterford matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Youd know Vinnie.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'd agree with him on this one, Ballygunner actually have more recent pedigree considering Na Pairsaigh haven't won Munster since 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

A bit harsh of a comment I would have thought…?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 HelloHello1234

Did i Read somewhere that either kieran or shane had already gone to Australia and thats why they missed the intermidiate Final. Seen them both named in the team for ballysaggart last weekend

Advertisement