Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Thanks for the update,

Do you know what fu per cm2 your donor was to be considered below average? I ask as my donor was below average too (at 55fu per cm2 at the sides and 70fu per cm2 at the back) my hair is also very thin in calibre so not great donor at all.The Dr managed to get 2983 grafts safely and will be going for another after Christmas where I'll be getting between 2k and 3k,that will be me absolutely maxed out though! Both in terms of grafts and cash 😆

I think it's a good sign that Dr Nel is able to offer FUT as an option (for example no hair mill in Turkey can do this) but I think he loses points for (as far as I can see) not creating a sworl pattern for your crown.

Just to be clear most places dont/can't do this and most people wouldn't notice only ht nerds!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

He said he'll send me a full detailed report in the next coming days detailing the exact number of graphs placed, the number of hairs per graph, the length and strength of my hair and future recommendations. Plus I've to see him next Saturday in order to get the stiches taken off the FUT scar.

Good luck with your future HT and keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

I don't understand how hair transplant surgeons don't have a kind of database with examples of full headed men and how their hair grows/patterns around their head, so they could easily refer to it to be able to know how to achieve more natural results. The temples as well for example, very few surgeons can do them to look natural, even though it should be fairly easy for them to get examples of the directions that the hair should be implanted to achieve a natural appearance. At this stage it's clear that the actual process of transplanting hair is fairly refined for many surgeons, but they really should be cooperating in this regard to refine the actual end results to be natural looking - instead you still have even highly regarded surgeons still seemingly ignorant on how to achieve natural growth patterns

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The hair whorl (swirl) pattern would become irrelevant if the hair was grown long enough (i.e. several inches) so could always be an option if the pattern wasn't done right (and you were willing to have long hair of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TerraIncognita

Hi, I've been reading through this thread and considering hair transplant myself. Thanks for all the info its very useful.

I'm a 47 yr old M, mostly thinning on top and around my crown. I like to keep my hair short so FUE would be more suitable than FUT for me.

Can anyone recommend somewhere/someone in Dublin and give me an indication of rough prices and also if you were going abroad where/ who would you go to?

Would you recommend going abroad than using someone in Dublin. based on quality of result rather than cost?

Quality of result is very much more important for me than the cost of procedure.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

I suggest you check out the Hair Restoration Network (forum) Everything you need to know about HT's and peoples cases and experiences.

Anyone found it hard to find a place stocking Proscar or am I just unlucky with the pharmacy I enquired with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SatireMan

Does anyone have any experience with GrowClub yet? I did a consultation with them and they said the Dr has done over 7,000 transplants. They seemed really well informed and professional but I'm just really skeptical because of lack of reviews and the really low price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I have been getting targeted by adds from them…

I could be wrong here but I think thats the name of a company that operate across the world.If its the one I'm thinking of I've seen some very good work from their Australian clinics.It might not be the same crew as they definitely weren't cheap.

Do they have high resolution pics of before and afters from specific doctors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 SatireMan

Yes, they have high resolution photos on their website but I don't know if these are genuine costumers who directly had the surgery from them in Ireland.

Sounds dodge,if you suspect something is not right I'd steer clear.

bump... where ye getting Proscar? Local pharmacies don't stock it any longer

OR

What other version of Finasteride are y'all taking?

This is the doctor doing surgery there,he seems to be based in Greece.He could be flying in to do procedures, I'd be asking a lot of questions regarding his techs? Do they fly in with him or does he have a team here aswell?

https://www.garagounis.com

Can't find anything about him on Hair Restoration Network.

Interesting how no-one else here is on Fin, are you just using Minoxidil then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

I am taking a generic version of Finasteride (made by Accord Healthcare Ltd, UK), 1.25mg each Mon, Wed, Fri (as directed by Dr. Tunde of the Dr. Nel's office). Proscar was not available last time I checked.

I am also taking 1.25mg Minoxidil daily.

I was in Dr Nel's recently and it appears that Proscar (which is now made by Organon) should be back on the shelves although most pharmacies aren't aware it exists since the new company took over! I think if we get them to check the computer it should pop up in the inventory they can order in now.

I asked him precisely why the Organon version of Proscar is the one he recommends (over other generic Finasteride or even the Proscar with a different-coloured label) and he put it down simply to quality control. He claimed that other manufacturers just don't put in the same quantity of active ingredient per tablet, or perhaps it isn't as evenly distributed throughout so that you may not get the same quantity of ingredient per quarter.

Interesting.. not sure how true that is though, I doubt all the other companies have dire quality control.

Also he told me that 1/8 of a tablet is sufficient rather than 1/4 on Mon, Wed, Fri. He just advises on the 1/4 as it's easier to cut, but all that's required are 1/8ths on Mon, Wed, Fri.

Again this is news to me, but there you go... we can in theory get twice the amount of time per box if you're willing to split the quarter into eighths, and only need to renew the prescription every 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

He's talking shite, I use the cheap generic stuff from WebDoctor and haven't lost a hair on my head in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Why does Dr Nel prescribe Fin/Min for only 8 months? Its a bit of a pain having to go up every 8 months. You'd think once a year would be sufficient?

More dinero for him? He seemed annoyed about the fact I went elsewhere for my SMP procedure, saying that if I wanted to go to him for prescriptions I needed to stick with him for everything, including procedures. Left a bad taste in my mouth to be honest.

I'm just going to be getting my prescriptions via the Laya service going forward as it's cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

What's peoples opinion of the fin+minoxidil spray offered by SONS.co.uk and few other places? None of their Irish websites seem to sell it, UK only.

Definitely interested in that spray...seems to minimise the side effects of Fin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Are you getting Min from Laya? I tried via VHI a few weeks ago and they wouldn't prescribe it to me.

Haven't yet tried.. I'm going to contact them about the Proscar prescription first... I got my Minox renewed at Dr Nel's there last week so that's next year sorted

https://www.careoncall.ie/hair-loss

I think you need to be with Laya.. will try it tomorrow and see (Dr Nel also confirmed to me that this is the same Proscar that he would prescribe). I'll ask if they can throw in Minox too.

Actually I compared the wording with that on webdoctor and it seems to be the same?

https://app.webdoctor.ie/hair-loss

Same €25 price too ... maybe the Laya one is just using the same service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

I'm on Fin (Proscar) via Webdoctor for the last 3 months but finding it hard to get Minox. Pain in the ass.

Pain in the ass.

Ah that's one of the side-effects ;)

Seriously though, maybe it's possible to get a standard GP to prescribe if you can show them the previous box?

You could point them to this article

https://www.aad.org/dw/dw-insights-and-inquiries/archive/2022/low-dose-oral-minoxidil-alopecia

Note that no-one actually knows why minoxidil works... another revelatory anecdote I picked up from my recent appointment (and also mentioned in that article)

Dr Nel prescribed me 1.25mg of Minoxidil daily last February. I took it up to the start of October when I went back for my visit with him. Minoxidil has done absolutely nothing for me at all hair growth on my scalp. I got my prescription of Minoxidil 1.25mg daily from Dr Nel at the start of October. I decided to up dose to 2.5mg daily to see if there would be any difference since the start of October. But there has been no hair growth/improvement on my scalp.

My face seems to have got a little hairier with darker hairs growing in places where there was light vellus hairs before (like under my eye at the very top of my cheek). Can't say for definite if this is a result of Minoxidil as my face seemed to be growing darker hairs in different places before I started treatment)

Due to this I going to run out of Minoxidil after 4 months now instead of 8 as I'm taking double the dose. So may try to source it somewhere else. Or is there any point even continuing with it if there has been no regrowth/improvement?

Dr Nel said Minoxidil is maintaining it but wouldn't just Finasteride do that? I think at this stage I have enough of this craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

October? So you've been using Minox for one month? For the majority of Minox users it takes 3-6 months for noticeable results.

Once you reach 9 months and haven't noticed any improvement, then unfortunately, you, like roughly 20-30% of the male population, are a Minoxidil non/low responder and you are wasting your time and money using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

You should start micro needling/dermarolling as well, the best results with minox are from people who are doing this

Advertisement