Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big bus driver shortage. Why in the name of god would you drive a bus these days anyway...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Muller1991

Yep, That happened on a 27 heading towards Tallaght on Lord Edward St if memory serves me.

I used to work in the CC and travelled on that route as well as the 77A daily. At Least 3 or 4 times a week there was hassle from a passenger towards the driver no matter what time of day !

I have many family members who work for DB across all grades and departments and they all say the same thing i.e Jobs not what it used to be regarding hours and shift patterns even for the spare men and women. I know of one duty that is supposed to be an early shift starting at 6.30am and finishing at 4pm with a one hour break from what I know of that duty is the week before you work a full week of lates and finish at 1am have a day off and then in at 6.30am for the next 4 or 5 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭StreetLight

But aren't those the types of duties that drivers voted to accept in their latest pay deal?

Post edited by StreetLight on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Tbh 06.30-16.00 is nothing compared to some of the duties GAI have. GAI have a number of shifts with 12 hour spreadover with two one hour breaks so they'd be worse even than a boogie duty in DB.

If I'm not mistaken DB have an agreement that means shifts cannot exceed 10hrs in length unless a boogie which are different considering the length of the break with GAI no such agreement exists and many shifts exceed 10hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You're entitled to argue your opinion of course, but every job has its potential stress factors and I wouldn't consider it a highly skilled operation to navigate a fully automatic bus on the streets of Dublin City Centre where the speed limit is 30kmh. If that was the bar we aspired to call highly skilled, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that a deli worker prepping 50 baguettes and sandwiches at lunch hour was a highly skilled job. Too much ketchup on this one, not enough butter on that one and you have a potential riot on your hands.

I'm being a little satirical there, but what you are attributing to highly skilled is really just a few potential peaks of high stress moments while driving which at a stretch is a semi skilled occupation. Anyone going to drive a bus already knows how to drive, as they have a B license and in the vast majority of cases have a couple of years driving experience. To get the B license, one must complete a theory test and complete 10 x 1 hour lessons and then pass a driving test. From there, I'm not sure of the requirements to get the D license, but I suspect it's a very similar process with probably no more than the 10 lessons required.....if any at all.....I don't know. Pass the test and job done. Were there to be no backlogs or waiting lists for tests, the whole process could be done over the course of a couple of months, including the B license.

A highly skilled occupation (in my opinion) requires far more training than what is needed to get behind the wheel of a bus. Sure, if driving a bus is considered highly skilled, then what skill level are the mechanics who work on them? A mechanic is generally considered to be a medium skill role (or skilled profession) and they go through many hundreds of hours of training both in theory and practical work over several years before being qualified. If they make any mistake, there could be very serious outcomes.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Have my bus licence and wouldn't go back to driving them for double the wages im on now. Spent 4 years at Dublin Bus and driving coaches for 8 years with various contracters but CPC rules, crap pay, Gardai and RSA constantly pulling you over and checking your paperwork etc... made it a nightmare. Add in Dublin cyclists and general sh1tbag driving from the general public and i just walked away one day and it was the best thing i ever did.

Most of the lads i still know from my days doing it have packed it in and even foreign lads have had enough and won't do it. You get far less hassle and stress driving a courier van or working in Aldi for the same money and don't have the lives of 80 plus people in your hands for crap pay. Go ahead have a ridiculous staff turnover and they'll have to up their wages by at least 40% if they want drivers in seats.

• Advertisement

What does the ethnicity and gender have to do with the accident? Sure an Irish Male bus driver receives the same sort of training as a Nigerian Female driver in order to get the license and the job, no?

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

In my few years as a driver i was spat at a handful of times, punched once which missed because the guy was a junkie and found it hard to stand upright and had a cyclist squirt liquid out of his bottle through the open window at me once. I also had to deal with everyday drunks, junkies and a African woman accuse me of being a racist for not letting her and her small child on the bus without paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Current staff levels mentioned in the Oireachtas meeting this morning:

Dublin bus:

Go Ahead:

And further on in the meeting, Go Ahead proceed to mention that they lose around 25% of drivers that they hired

Clearly driving a bus is more skilled than working in Spar that's a complete insult now to bus drivers. It might not be a highly skilled job but they don't take on anyone who walks in off the street. The training is tough and there's a lot of pressure to pass the test as only given two attempts to pass otherwise your let go.

Also qualified mechanics employed by DB are paid in or around the same money so clearly it's not that much more skilled than a driver just different training requirements. The thing about being a bus driver that makes the job unique is the fact your on your own isolated from colleagues and supervisors.

Maybe for coaches but I don't see how CPC is an issue for DB drivers. It's a paid day of classroom training once a year. Yeah sure it's a bit boring but you don't have to put your hand in your pocket and are actually being paid for it instead of driving for one day a year. Hardly a big deal.

I've never heard of any DB driver and I know plenty complain of being constantly stopped by the Gardai or RSA in fact I've seen or even heard of a DB bus being pulled over by Gardai and I'm sure an operator like DB would have everything in order anyway.

• Advertisement

First line of second paragraph in my post, I literally said I was joking about the deli comparison. I only used the comparison to state that most jobs have periods of stress at any given day. I don't know what is tough about the training. I hadn't heard of anything that qualifies as tough, but perhaps it is for some.

Your second paragraph proves a point I hadn't really made. DB drivers are not underpaid, at least not based on skill level. The mechanics take years of training and don't have an easy job working on buses. However they are paid comparably to the drivers.

There are a number of jobs where highly skilled professionals work in isolation with less pay than a DB driver. Mobile service engineers and technicians springs to mind. Those guys are usually educated to degree level. They drive all over the country and still need to complete a job which could be a full day's work on its own without the driving.

I'm not saying DB drivers have it easy, but they are very well paid for what they do imo. The overtime and shift cover pay is also extremely generous and doesn’t get much mention.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,817 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Most jobs have training nowadays. I used to have to do safe pass once every three years, As ESB induction and site training course, manual handling, a roadside safety course, rooftop and working at heights, confined space, every 3 years, along with that there was online courses on data protection.

Every job has rules and regulations. If anything goes wrong it was my head on the line. Mechanics or other semi skilled jobs would pay no better than bus drivers. Many people with degree qualifications earn much the same money.

If it not for you move on. The economy is at full employment. If there is unemployment Du lin bus drivers will still have there job and the same pay. These types of jobs are below average during a boom but above average during a recession

Slava Ukrainii

I know it was a joke but it wasn't a very funny joke in fact it was a rather insulting joke to any bus driver. Your starting to remind of a BBC presenter who thinks bus drivers are low skilled similar to security guards and cleaners.

Now I've come across security guards who sit for 12 hours a day in a hut in a opening a barrier to an industrial estate you can't tell me that's in the same category as driving a bus. That's a low skilled job now.

A more valid point you could make is why are bus drivers for private operators being paid considerably less than what DB are paying. GAI operate the exact same kind of service that DB do and are paying less than DB for the exact same job with worse working conditions too. Bus drivers in the UK are paid a pittance compared to DB and BE unsurprisingly the shortage in the UK is even worse than in Ireland.

As for overtime payments being good yeah they seem good on paper but a large percentage gets end up getting taxed and no one wants to give up their time off to work regardless of money. People value the time spent with friends and family more and even the time just to have a rest. It's a very mentally tiring job.

I don't think any reasonable person, bus driver or not would have found the comment insulting unless they took it out of context. Careful now, you might have just insulted all the security guards and cleaners with one fell swoop. There are many types of each of those jobs, some requiring as much training as driving a bus depending on the site requirements. It's not all barriers and wash cloths.

Good point on DB vs GAI and other private operators. DB drivers are paid far better because they are heavily subsidised by the state. Private operators simply can't afford to pay drivers what DB pay. The drivers working for GAI can only dream about the pay and benefits received by DB drivers.

Overtime always looks nice on paper. The tax man always gets his share, but it's a poor argument to make when the OT payments are so generous. If they were not worth it, the drivers wouldn't be lining up for the OT.

You don't have to agree that DB drivers are very well paid, but the examples you gave of other bus operators here and abroad would support my argument that they are very well paid. There are few vocations where you train for less than 100 hours and receive salary higher than skilled professionals who spent years in training. It's also a very secure occupation.

Stay Free

GAI drivers don't only dream of working for DB many of them apply and get hired so GAI would be much better off from the POV of staff retention if they had the same pay and T+Cs as DB.

The drivers aren't lining up to do OT and that's a fact they are struggling to get drivers to do OT no one wants to do it. That's also a reason for the staffing problems at DB because not only are they finding it difficult to hire new drivers but they also can't get anyone to do OT.

So, basically GAI and other private operators are being used as a stepping stone to get into DB. Get experience driving buses for reward and then join DB for the increase in salary, benefits and working conditions. This is certainly my own observational experience, so thanks for adding to it.

I personally know 2 DB drivers and know of several others through friends and colleagues. OT is not something they are actively avoiding unless it's an undesirable run. Now, perhaps there are depots where what you say is true. It's just not what I know to be true and in my experience, when OT pay is so generous, the lads are queuing out the door for it. Most companies offer nothing close to the rates DB drivers are paid for OT. Some who work OT don't get any increase in their hourly rate and some on contracts don't get any extra pay when they work OT.

As I have repeatedly said, DB drivers are very well compensated for what is honestly a low-skilled job. Low-skilled doesn't mean easy, but it's a job one can learn over the course of a couple of months and that falls into low skilled labour. It is a stretch to call it semi-skilled and I would like to hear any argument which attempts to bump it up to that category. As an aside, static security (ie; security lifting barriers all day from a hut) and general cleaners are not low-skilled jobs, they are un-skilled jobs. If a 10 year old kid can technically do the work, it's un-skilled.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hairymaryberry

Dealing with "undesirables" day in day out will wear you down, many a driver has snapped and given a few digs to them, some times a do-gooder puts in a complaint, rarely the "undesirable". When this happens some just leave shortly after on their own accord before they "fly of the handle and kill the next one"

20+ years in the job , never heard of anything like this.

No end of money for Ukrainians, no money for a decent public transport for the tax paying Irish as they try get to and from work, ponder that as your bus vanishes of the real time display

Would that be the pay deal that still to this day no driver knows of a driver who voted yes?

Saddam Hussein style vote held over two days with unsecure ballot boxes, is that the pay deal you are referring to?

Well its done now and driver got a stunning €25 extra a week on the top of the 6 year pay scale and all they had to do in return was now operate a later last departure at midnight and first buses now start at 04:00.

It get better, i will keep it simple so all can follow

Drivers have a 8 hour work day with a 1 hour break, for a total day of 9 hours, so you start at 06:00 in depot and finish at 15:00 in depot.

Now as we know many duties start in depot and finish in city centre, so for pay deal of €25 drivers have given up "travelling time"

This was time built into your days work, so you start in depot at 06:00 and finish at 14:30 in city centre and had 30 paid minutes to get back to depot for a total of a 9 hour day.

That is now gone, you will start at 06:00 in depot and finish in city centre at 15:00 and make you way back to depot on your own time, a total of 2.5 hours per week, for a stunning €25 extra. Bargain!

Can you name another job that has you start in one location and finish in another and you have to travel back to start location (collect car) and not pay for this time? 

More reasons for drivers leaving is the duties you get, early or late means very little, you can be rostered for early and get a duty that finished up to 22:00 and a late can start at 10:00 and of course the split shift bogie that we all love 07:00 to 19:00, you can complain all you want and the answer will be "You are only guaranteed a days work, not starting times".

Umpteen drivers will tell how it causes problems with the girlfriend/wife, "we where supposed to go out Thursday and you got a bogey/relief for a early shift" "you are always working at the weekend, we never go out together" its all extra grief you don't need. 

I hear you shouting at the screen "get rid of the marking in and that will solve the bad duties" if that was to happen spare drivers would leave in even bigger numbers as they have nothing to look forward to after years in the job and i can tell you now marked in men would leave in droves as well.

The simple fact is the job is not attractive, the current marked in drivers are for want of a better term "hanging in there" in the hope of redundance, the job is ageing out , young men have next to no interest in the job, those older men in years past who would start in 40/50's are doing it for a little while and getting out, bad hours and conditions.

You think its bad now, just wait till the new rosters agreed as part of the pay deal come on line, more drivers will leave for certain, what time would you have to get up at to be in the depot at 04:00? 

The solution is the usual , throw money at the problem until it goes away, pay and conditions have to improve drastically and then you will get the drivers, for those who don't think it is skill deserving more money, imagine driving a VT on Dublins streets with a infant screaming at the top of their lungs for the last 40 minutes as their mother plays with her phone and doesn't give damn about the child, ponder that the next time you are left waiting in the cold and rain for a bus that might turn up, drivers are not getting paid enough to deal with that day in day out and a whole lot more.

• Advertisement

The moral of this story is.................

GAI are having a even harder time retaining and attracting staff.

The lesson learned is Bad shifts and conditions need very good pay to keep staff.

DB do get stopped and Sunday morning seem to be the day DB get pulled over by the Gardai for some reason. Usually when empty leaving depot, that probably why you have not seen it

"DB drivers are not underpaid, at least not based on skill level. The mechanics take years of training and don't have an easy job working on buses."

Which drivers have more accidents, the new drivers or those driving for several years?

Sure according to you its no big deal driving a bus, but for unbeknownst reasons those years in the job have way less accident than those in a year or two.

A bus accident cost big money, 50+passengers will all get whip lash!!!!!!!

DB and GAI paid the same to run a service GAI pay the money to share holders, starting pay in DB and GAI not a big difference

There was a lot in that, but what I take from it is that an improvement in rostering and some sound proofing in the drivers cab would sort most of the issues. I don't know anything about finishing in the city and then having to drive the bus back to the depot without getting paid. Sounds a bit fishy to me, as you are still at work until back at the depot. You are the first to mention this.

I don't have access to DB driver accident statistics. Maybe you can share this? I never said it was no big deal driving a bus. I said it is a low skilled job. But sure if you want to argue that point, please tell me how it is otherwise.

Do we need to get into a discussion about economies of scale? In any case, the other poster spoke about the difference in pay and conditions in DB vs GAI and others.

Stay Free

Riddle me this, it is such a easy no skill required job with generous OT yet there is a massive shortage of people willing to do this easy peasy high paid job, what are we missing here that you have pick up on?

Why would someone clean toilets for minimum wage when they could drive a bus?

I said low skilled, not "no skill". There is a massive shortage in the vast majority of sectors. Bus driving is not in isolation here. We call it full employment. Surely you've heard everywhere is short staffed and it's not covid related anymore.

Interesting you'd pick such a demeaning task which is just one part of a cleaners job. The most likely answer to your specific role question is that the people in cleaning jobs almost never have a driving license and are often foreign nationals awaiting to be regularised. They take the immediately available unskilled jobs. Seemingly according to you, the hours are probably better too.

Stay Free

"an improvement in rostering and some sound proofing in the drivers cab would sort most of the issues. I don't know anything about finishing in the city and then having to drive the bus back to the depot without getting paid. Sounds a bit fishy to me, as you are still at work until back at the depot. You are the first to mention this."

There is not a bus driver who would not like to be boxed of like luas/dart driver, have see in on buses on continent., Would solve plenty of issues.

No one said anything about driving back to depot, you hand over in city center and make way back to depot, before you had 30 minutes paid for this, now its unpaid, 7.5 hours driving and 30 minutes travelling time, now 8 hours driving and make way to depot on your own time, longer day, 2.5 hours extra per week.

How long to get from City centre to Harristown or Donnybrook? All on your own time, when before you where given 30 mins of your 8 hour day for this, Drivers did not vote for this LOL.

I'v never seen a Irish cleaner, LOL.

Your argument falls at the first hurdle....... sure driving is easy peasy, why wont cant they get unskilled folk for the big money they pay?

• Advertisement

Question: are you required to return to depot? In any case, seems a bit mean to end a shift away from the depot. The 2 drivers I know one of them voted for the deal. I didn't speak to the other driver about it.

There's plenty of them around. Might be that you don't notice those lower down the pecking order.

The next part of your post is nonsensical. How about you tell me what skill level is required to drive a bus. Here's a few categories to make it simple:

Unskilled - a couple of hours training needed

Low skilled - course usually under 250 hours

Semi skilled - up to 4 years usually apprenticeship

Fully Skilled - degree level with OJT

Highly skilled - specialist training often to masters or doctorate followed by OJT and further training

Stay Free

Advertisement