Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭Xander10

Have people that got Covid built up longer immunity than that from vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yes, because most of them would have been infected with the current variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

• Registered Users Posts: 29,451 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

• Registered Users Posts: 38,243 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is such crap, I said the lockdown wasn't that difficult. Can you print out where I said it was enjoyable?

I've nothing against other people enjoying themselves and I explained everything descriptively and clearly but you obviously didn't read it or have reading comprehension issues or you are just not very smart.

Or, and most likely, you are a thanks whore and make up lies to suit your agenda.

Grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,243 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Im not disagreeing with anything you say there, I agree with pretty much all of it.

My point was that those who grew up during the Tiger were treated to a life which is beyond our means. This led to a sense of entitlement for things that should be considered not so common pleasures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The lockdown wasn't difficult for you. Great. Doesn't mean anyone who found it hard is an entitled brat. I'm gonna presume you didn't lose your job, access to essential services, develop problem behaviors around alcohol/food, miss important health screenings or have to leave a loved one to die alone? Lots did as a result of the measures, would you not have a bit of empathy?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don't Chute! and dominatinMC threadbanned

Post edited by Beasty on

I’m a bit baffled … I got COVID at the very start of the outbreak and was incredibly sick with it. Gurgling lungs, a high fever, aches, short of breath and all of that. Honestly considered calling an ambulance a few times. I recovered (obviously) but I was having difficulties with getting out of breath for about 6 months after. I’m grand now and had plenty of time to recover and work from home.

I then got the 3X doses of Pfizer, which didn’t have any side effects (I actually find the flu vaccine way more unpleasant) and I haven’t really been taking any special precautions of any type, and I just haven’t picked up COVID again, even though members of my household have had it multiple times and I’ve been in fairly close contact.

It could be pot luck, or I could have developed fairly broad immunity due to the infection and the vaccines, but whatever is going on I’m not picking it up when others in my circle are going down with it.

You mentioned 6 months - did you get vaccinated during the end of those 6 months?

There were some reports people with long running symptoms found that getting vaccinated helped to clear them up.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/vaccines-long-covid

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Honestly not sure, things definitely improved as the year went on though. Took ages to get back to semi normal. I still definitely am not as fit as I was though. I at least didn’t get any of the new variants during the subsequent peaks and even though other ppl I’m in close contact with did, I just seemed to not pick it up.

At it its worst I was getting so out of breath and sore when I walked that I wasn’t able to even go shopping. A walk around the supermarket was leaving me out of breath and I’m fairly fit and in my 30s. I’m not over weight or anything like that. So it was just really weird for me.

I used to just drive to the beach and walk a bit (couple of hundred meters) and then keep sitting down. I eventually got that up to being able to maybe go a km, and I’m gradually just trying to get it back to normal again.

I’d have the same feeling of needing to breathe, heart pounding, hot and sweaty that you’d get if you had been for a run and just stopped, but I’d have only maybe walked 150m. it was absolutely scary.

I also got a really bad back for months and I’ve had sore joints a lot.

At the same time my GP also retired, so I didn’t really have one during the peak of the pandemic. I was just using walk in and out of hours GPs.

My current (still not really setup right) one also picked up that I have a high red blood count and she just gave me a lecture about smoking. I have never smoked and kept trying to send me to a sleep apnoea clinic - I don’t snore, and really don’t have sleep apnoea.

Also have high high pressure since then, so got checked out and put on ARBs which seem to have made exercising much easier. They relax your blood vessels and make it easier for your heart to pump. That’s kinda been making it easier to rebuild fitness I think and the BP is more like normal now.

I’m convinced it’s long covid, but all I can really do is just keep trying to get fit. At least I feel semi normal again. The GPs I’ve been to recently haven’t seen me before now, so just seem to just imply I’m lazy, and unfit or something or look at one symptom in isolation, and there’s no long covid services in Ireland that I’m aware of, most people seem to think it’s b/s, so all I can do is just keep pushing myself to get fitter.

I joined a gym last week but so far haven’t gone. A load of ppl I know started getting the flu and COVID so have been having second thoughts about indoor exercise just now.

I might just invest in a bike instead.

All I can do really is just keep eating healthy and exercising gently to keep going in the right direction. I’d say it’ll be a while before I’m running any marathons though!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don't Chute! threadban lifted

The authors of this publication:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9025013/

have stated that: “Our data suggest that there is no increase in the incidence of myocarditis and pericarditis in COVID-19 recovered patients compared to uninfected matched controls.”

This is based on comparative analysis of unvaccinated cohort of 196,991 covid infected individuals with a control group of 590,976 not infected.

Considering such a large sample size, It seems unlikely that covid causes heart inflammation.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

It’s plausible that the majority of long Covid cases are psychological or lifestyle related.

Hard to say for sure. What is however certain is that majority of those long covid cases are based on self assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Is there any plan to continue vaccinating the Under 50s with boosters? I haven't been keeping up with the latest news.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,017 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Most countries have reports looking into it. If you want to research it.

During Covid lots of people stopped doing the things that cause them to die or get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Just like how cancer and other health screening stopped, you know, the things that cause us to die or get sick.

They are not the only things that cause people to die. The experts suggest it's too early for delayed screening to be a primary cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

You'll always have an answer....

There's no denying you're dedicated to the covid cause, good for you for sticking to your beliefs, never change.

The immediate causes of those deaths are associated with cardiovascular issues (mainly) and diabetes (to a smaller degree). 

As for the contributory causes it is much more difficult to pinpoint. Some say that heatwaves, ageing population etc. are the reasons. Others mention prolonged and largely unjustified lockdowns and restrictions, and the adverse effects of the covid-19 vaccines.

They aren't "beliefs" and they aren't "mine".

When people ask questions it's just my habit to go read the reports and research on it and check the sources.

... In addition...

Some of these were primary causes of death before COVID.

A lot of health systems were in crisis before COVID. Staffing issues etc. COVID has compounded it.

COVID cases are still an issue in hospitals, consuming resources etc.

Another interesting study from Germany:

https://www.bib.bund.de/Publikation/2022/pdf/Fertility-declines-near-the-end-of-the-COVID-19-pandemic-Evidence-of-the-2022-birth-declines-in-Germany-and-Sweden.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=9

“This study has demonstrated a remarkably strong and very sudden drop in fertility in Germany and Sweden in the first months of 2022. The number of live births dropped by some 15 % in Germany and close to 10 % in Sweden, as compared to the fertility levels in previous years….there is a clear correlation between the onset of vaccination programmes and fertility declines that occurred nine months later. In Germany as well as in Sweden….The implementations of these programmes in both Germany and Sweden coincide very well with a distinct change in fertility levels exactly nine months later. The fertility rates remained at a reduced level during the entire first half of 2022.

”It remains to be seen whether these developments are of a short-term nature and how fast fertility trends in Germany and Sweden will return to their pre-pandemic patterns,”

Rather strange you didn't include the conclusion of the study, but you did include the note of correlation with vaccine timings.

Were you trying to insinuate something?

The article states "Following the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, several countries faced short-term fertility declines in 2020 and 2021, a development which did not materialize in Scandinavian and German-speaking countries. However, more recent birth statistics show a steep fertility decline in the aftermath of the pandemic in 2022."

The study goes on to conclude:

Based on the descriptive associations presented in this study, we interpret the post-pandemic change in childbearing behaviour as a reaction to the changes in life circumstances that were anticipated as societies were to open up to non-pandemic conditions. In some cases, there may have been a more direct effect of the vaccination programme as such, as some prospective parents may have postponed a decision to have another child until after securing a vaccination for themselves. 

sure, there are more findings:

”More precisely, the fertility decline occurred some nine months after the implementation of broad-based vaccination programmes for the general population in Germany and Sweden.”

And

“Other well-known explanations of fertility change during the course of the pandemic, such as the impact of health-related and economic factors seem not to be associated with the timing of fertility decline in 2022.”

This just scurrilous anti vax scaremongering. It is obvious what you are trying to insinuate when you didnt post the key sections of the text.

Was Germany and Sweden the only countries to vaccinated? The study shows the same effect in other European countries pre vaccines.

You going to try to pin that on vaccines too?

Same old nonsense from you again. You prove time and time again that you don’t understand what you read.

The authors state numerous times that: “there is a strong association between the onset of vaccination programmes and the fertility decline nine months after of this onset.” Or something to a similar effect, suggesting a correlation between the vaccination programs and a sudden and unexpected drop in fertility. As far as I can see they link the drop in fertility with vaccination programs and not the vaccines themselves.

Feel free to reach out to them and ask what it is that they are trying to insinuate. They are the authors after all. Or better yet use your regular tactics to discredit them. Maybe Martin and Gunnar are anti-vaxxers? You better check that! Those posts are always fun to read.

• Advertisement

9 months offset suggests there almost no direct connection between these events. Which is why they talk about "limitations" and "assumptions" at the end. It also ignores other (world & local) events happening at the same time with no 9 month offset and perhaps a more direct correlation.

It's a report that mentions two different events and fails to establish any connection. IMO.

Advertisement