Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did it give a date of when due in store?

Edit - I see it, Thursday 10th November.

https://leaflets.aldi.ie/view/813573591/4/

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I'd imagine these costs are seen in other countries too.

Some info on this video about grain price increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭padre78

Has anyone tried the Lough Ree whiskies? Is it a bit overpriced or just in line with rising cost across the board as above?

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 runningonwhiskey90

I referenced them above and my comment may have been lost a bit, Rather than comparing the Dingle Samhain to the Core Offerings I was highlighting why the €85 price tag may seem pricey to some. The Samhain is a "limited release" and is at 50.5% so far from a core offering but unfortunately alot of new releases get compared to core offerings from a price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

100%. The costs might make a lot of the less established players cost prohibitive especially when discretionary spending is down. It would be such a pity to see the Irish whiskey revival stall due to outside influences beyond our control. Only time will tell I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

More news from Blackwater this afternoon. I have no connection to them btw even though this is my third mention of them today!

Back in 2018 we started distilling traditional Pot Still Irish Whisky. Yes, we left out the 'e' and instead used several barns full of oats, wheat and rye. The whiskies were so good we struggled with which to release first.

Then Head Distiller John Wilcox had an inspired idea. Don't just release one bottle, release four! Put them in a box, let them tell a story, let whisky drinkers taste for themselves the power of grain. So that's what we're going to do, release 4 x 200ml bottles with an accompanying 64 page book. 

It's our Manifesto release and it will be go on presale in the coming weeks.

Stay tuned over the coming weeks on social and emails and we keep you updated every step of the way as we count down to this historic moment.  As we are a small Irish distillery there will be a limited amount of whisky for us to sell this time around, only 1000 packs in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Stop spending my money @Cazale 🤣

That does sound very interesting, I don't fully appreciate the difference between the grains so it would be cool to have them alongside each other, if it's not too expensive

Maybe I'll drop some pre-Christmas hints to my wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

FYI, tesco seem to have a good sale on whiskey currently, picked up a bottle of method and madness single grain for 40 and a 1l bottle of jameson for 32 earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Lagavulin 16 back in celtic whiskey shop for 110. Struggling with that price. From 85 it's "only" 25 more but I can't pull the trigger. I'm sure someone else will and it'll be sold out again and I won't have to think about it for another while. It's still my favourite peated by a mile. Looking for alternatives I've tried ardbeg 10, ardbeg uigeadail, I've drank some Laphroaig 10 in bars and last Christmas I got a bottle of lagavulin 8. None are a patch on the 16 for me. But still I can't justify it. I'll just wait for the ledaig 10 and try another one

Edit: oh yeah. Kilkerran Heavily peated batch 6 and port charlotte Scottish Barley. The Kilkerran is actually awesome but it's a very different peat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Lagavulin 16 It was around the 70 mark for years. I would agree with you, I would never pull the trigger for that price now. I bought a bottle at the distillery only last April for £60 or so. I think I e bought my last bottle so will hang on to it for a while.

It's a class whiskey but it has still has added colour and the abv is quite low for the price, especially now. It's hard to get a comparison for a 16 year old sherry influenced Islay, but you could consider Ardbeg An Oa or the Laphroaig 10 sherry finish? Failing that Caol Isla 12 is a good alternative. Ledaig 10 also solid. Surprised you didn't like the Uigeadal as with the right amount of water that's an incredible whiskey with a great sherry influence but its hefty too so fair enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I wouldn't pay 110 right now, but only because I'd wonder is it still knocking around at 100 if you look hard enough. Martins had some extra bottles, at least a few weeks ago.

On the price overall... Tbh there's sourced whisky being sold in Ireland for a lot more than 110 that is not a patch on Lagavulin 16, so to be honest some of this is a question of perspective. If it's a whisky someone really enjoys and supply and demand put it at 110, its not bananas to be honest.

If looking for an Islay alternative no point looking to some of the other big boys, sherry finish or not the styles are too different. Kilchoman is what I would recommend checking out.

Tried to get family to pick me up a bottle of Lagavaulin 16 in France recently, where it was €58.27. But they were out of stock, and palmed him off with a "celtic" whiskey, made in France. 😪

I've only had the uigeadail 2 weeks or so. Had 2 weekends with it and about 220 mls. I do like it but it scares me a bit as well. Still trying to find my sweet spot with water as well. Definitely prefer it to the 10 but it's about 30 euro / 10%abv extra. If I don't find the ledaig by the time the uigeadail is gone I'm very curious about the kilchoman sanaig

I finished off a bottle of Uigeadail last week. Really loved that whiskey. Never really felt the 54.2% when drinking it.

Sanaig is good but I really recommend the Machir Bay, which is their cheapest offering. Just a really clean, no frills expression. Sanaig if you really want the sherry though.

The Uigeadal is pretty special stuff! The Corryvreckan is incredible too, a bottle i got recently is easy to drink neat even at 57%! Very different though.

Edit: been meaning to try Kilchoman for some time might look about it for Christmas

Post edited by Beanstalk on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Justin10

New Sonny Molly's readbreask single cask €595!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Jesus - €110 for Lagavulin? That's some jump form the €70 I've been buying it at for years. I bought my current bottle in late June from Mitchell & Sons for €80. I see it's listed there now for €100 (but is out of stock).

It's one of my favourite whiskeys, but it's hard to justify a €40 hike over just 12 months.

I was up north recently & grabbed some bargains up there (the best deal was £20 for Johnnie Walker Black Label). We really are getting fleeced down here with taxes/excise.

Its a real shame and getting worse. The O'Briens annual Christmas whiskey sale only managed to knock a fiver off everything this time round, an ominous sign. Energy costs are inflating everything...

If you know someone in the North @janiejones that you could order whiskey online to and somehow colllect you could use that €110 to buy two or more bottlings of a comparable bottlings that would likely have no colour added and have a higher abv so much more bang for your buck. Importing scotch to ROI is much more expensive for both you and retailers. In some places in NI you could even get Lagavulin 16 for c.€85 if thats where your heart is at, you could even buy it somewhere like the Vinyard in Belfast. As I said before, Lagavulin 16 is fantastic but theres much better value out there.

Bargains in Ireland are still to be had though I spose! Dunnes have a great whiskey sale on at the minute, picked up jameson black barrel proof for €52 there at the weekend. beautiful toffee bomb! loved it.

• Advertisement

Love the black barrel proof. Makes it tough to go back to the regular. Nah, everyone's down in Cork or Clare. Used have some work colleagues going to London semi frequent but that's all stopped, mix of covid and cost cutting. Hear lots of talk about Cotswolds single malt and the new English whiskey in general. Good price, good product. None over here yet that I know of.

I did pick up the tesco finest 12 yo irish single malt for 35 and was pleasantly surprised. It's been a while since I had cardhu 12 but it reminded me of that. No frills, apples and pears, pleasant. Hopefully cardhu and talisker have their annual drop to 30 although maybe 42 is as good as it gets this year

Tesco comes in a west cork bottle but "whiskey chaser brian" on YouTube reckons it's Cooley stock

Jesus that's a lot of money. It's 19 year old, right?

Cotswolds did pop up here I thought, although I can't find it anywhere now. I had a bottle last year. Pleasant, orchard notes and accomplished considering this is a young distillery. At the time I remember comparing it to the likes of Drumshambo's inaugural release, and some other new Irish distilleries, and thinking that the Drumshambo felt a bit hamfisted and agricultural, I wondered what Costwolds did differently because it tastes like an older malt. Then I read up on them, and it seems they really spent a lot of money and spent it very well. All the English distilleries seem to have a lot of money behind them. The English Whisky Co. is another one whose releases are stellar, but more in the 'fine whiskey' bracket.

The Cotswolds' 'Odyssey' release you'll see most places is priced to complete with entry level core Scotch single malt expressions in Tesco. I'll be interested to see what their longer age expressions taste like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Excise duty on beer is similar or higher in the UK.

The higher prices here are not due to excise duty, they are due to high supply costs and overheads.

In spirits, here are the excise duties:

UK = £28.74 of Spirit Duty per litre of pure alcohol, or £8.05 per 70cl bottle at 40%. That is about 9.25 euro at 87p exchange rate.

RoI = €42.57 per litre of alcohol in the spirits, or 11.92 per 70cl bottle at 40%.

Ok, our spirits excise is higher, yes, but just 2.67 higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Well the Irish whiskey awards results are in. https://twitter.com/WhiskeyAwardsIE?t=ydC5APoN_rRo08kkF_Tz2g&s=08. Some strong results for dunvilles, teeling and redbreast there.

Haven't tasted all the winners, but love the dunville's px10, oloroso+px 20. Got to taste the teeling chestnut px at an iws event (paired with ice cream) and absolutely loved it. Interesting to see two stacks winning, haven't tried polaris but I've been impressed by anything I've tried from them (smoke and mirrors was excellent).

Did anybody get their hands on whiskey tasting sheet? The one that tells you what whiskey A1, A2 .. were? I did the iws tasting for the awards and would move to see what was what. Think @Cazale sent it to me last year. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seems like a lot of the winners had peated expressions... which wouldn't be typical of most Irish whiskeys. I wonder if that made them stand out more in tastings.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FlicFlak

I got a bottle of the Cotswolds single malt in Sainsburys in Newry during the summer, actually only opened it this week and drinking that, it really is good stuff, fruity, malty and very well made. Was only £37 aswell which i think for its quality is exceptional value.

I also got a bottle of the English whisky co. single malt in Marks and Spencers in Liffey valley for €35, again, very well made single malt. Was vibrant, touch of peat but only barely, and really tasty! Definitely recommend!

Ive had the Tesco 12 year old too, i reckon its bushmills stock that West Cork bought, i say this because its pretty much identical to the Aldi 12 year old reserve that sold a couple years back, and that was ex-bushmills stock. Tenner cheaper in Aldi but was very limited. I think it absolutely beautiful single malt, really fruity, like an orchard, slightly dry but also sweet, still a bargain at €35 even in this day and age!

It seems to happening more I find. I've sampled a bunch of whiskeys recently that have a certain percentage of peat. A lot of people get put off by the idea of peat, but it's not that strong when used in smaller quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 runningonwhiskey90

I tried some Bart's from Lough Ree last night which has a small peat component and I was very impressed. Very subtle peat but it really adds to the overall flavour and finish. Dunvilles 1808 also has a small bit of peat but its a little harder to pick it out and its another really enjoyable drop.

• Advertisement

I tried a few of their whiskies at Whiskey Live, and really enjoyed them all.

Advertisement