Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

Why would it be brilliant? Okay, it will infuse some of the young talented players there with confidence, but beyond that, what other benefit is there (other than financial)?

It's of a higher competitive / rugby advantage to South African rugby than to Irish rugby.

There is a risk of further injury problems coming from it.

What benefits did Munster reap from beating Australia in 2010?

Why are you consistently on about post counts you weirdo?

Why don't you ever actually engage with the points being made instead of constantly "playing the man" as you do?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’m not sure why I’m bothering but… you really can’t understand why it would be brilliant for this side to beat SA, or what benefits this has for Munster? Really?

No, not particularly being honest with you. Yeah, grand it's a chance to further embed the new playing style and I'm sure it'll galvanise the squad a bit, but ultimately it doesn't put any points on the league table or advance them any further in Europe.

It's a friendly match. In the middle of an international window, when you've already got an extensive injury list.

I'd ask the same question again, what benefits did Munster derive from beating Australia in 2010?

So apart from the financial benefits, galvanising the squad, an opportunity of giving the young lads some confidence, more time in the new systems and a brilliant atmosphere at a new stadium in our main population base…. What benefits does it bring to Munster???!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

also, the unfortunate truth is that this will be one of the only times the majority will get to play against an international team

• Registered Users Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭phog

If Munster pick up an injury tomorrow evening they'll be at least one poster (adding to their post count) while typing with one hand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Why even bother with this type of post? it does nothing for the thread....

They could get injured if game wasnt being played as they could as easily have been training and got injured there..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Finally a common sense post after reading thru a myriad of shite talk …..looking forward to tomorrow ..all things considered that’s a decent Munster team and hopeing Ben Healy has a big game and reminds everyone of why he was so highly thought of last season

• Advertisement

I’d argue it achieves one thing; it draws attention to the fact that FTD’s post on here, even on the most minuscule, minor thing, invariably can be boiled down to Munster = Bad.

Other recent examples include our 5th choice TH being indicative of poor use of resources, and speculating that an innocuous quote from Rowntree might mean the IRFU helped Munster financially with the McDonald signing*.

And now somehow the game in PuC isn’t of benefit to Munster.

Other than financially, of course. Which, for a poster so seemingly concerned with Munster’s finances / resources, you’d think he’d be happy about.

Instead it’s another stick to beat Munster.

If he reserved the same level of micro/analysis, speculation and criticism for Leinster too (i.e. be consistent) I’d be more lenient. But he doesn’t.

*while also being entirely unaware DDA and Snyman’s weren’t paid out of Munster’s pockets.

I’d love to see Ben have a great game. I think his goal kicking hasn’t quite been as good as in his first season, or even last, so would like to see some improvement there.

But we know he’s got a brilliant lofted pass in him. And we’ve been trying to manufacture that exact type pass beyond the edge defence this season.

Crowley has outshone him of late, but he still has a lot of potential.

Take it up with the poster who is concerned about Munster picking up injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

In fairness, you'll have 23 South Africans trying to force their way into the senior side. My guess is that it will be a little bit more physical than your average training session.

It's not a bad Munster side, all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Oh it will be physical. But if players get injured, at least it will be playing for Munster.

If Munster lose key players like Coombes or Salanoa or Edogbo tomorrow it will be a blow, but we're trying to find these guys level. If Munster win and these lads perform, it indicates that we're on the right path. Same with the less experienced squad players. We'll learn and they'll learn a lot tomorrow in a huge game that isn't 'must win' in the way that a hcup or knockout URC game would be.

Leinster playing Chile in front of a non paying 'crowd' Is a training exercise. Munster playing SA's reserves in front of a sold out paying crowd is a completely different game

The injury thing is a complete strawman from FTD anyways.

People’s main issue with the EI tour wasn’t that some players might return injured.

It was that 9 players did miss 3 matches, irrespective of injuries.

There’s no equivalence here.

This is complete bullshit, and illustrative of the sort of victim mentality you typically engage in when it comes to anything that could be deemed to be resembling criticism of Munster.

You studiously ignored posts I've made in recent weeks praising a lot of Munster's young talent (especially Jack Crowley), posts defending Gavin Coombes and posts praising some of Munster's recent performances.

On the other specific points you raised: (i) the situation with James French is 100% legitimately worthy of criticism, (ii) the quote from Rowntree on the McDonald signing did indicate Munster received financial assistance in my view.

I've criticised Leinster plenty of times for decisions I don't agree with (and in relatively recent times have criticised both Connacht, Ulster and Ireland too).

You're overly sensitive to criticism of Munster, and you think all of it comes from some sort of underlying, more deep rooted agenda rather than actually just engaging with the points as they are. You don't have to agree with it, that's your prerogative.

And, without digging up this again; it's not a like for like comparison. Ordinarily, your better quality full Irish internationals would have missed those three games, but they were made available for those games because of the EI Tour.

You clearly enjoy your rugby; it's utterly bewildering that it had to be spelled out to you how this game is positive for Munster.

Incidentally, any thoughts on DDA and Snyman's contracts not being paid for by Munster? That must make you pretty happy?

I entirely agree; comparing this game to the EI tour is not a like for like comparison.

• Advertisement

It's somewhat unusual - in a context where Munster are implying they had to make very hard decisions around playing resources in key positions (some implications in recent years that James Cronin and John Ryan's exits were budgetary concerns primarily), but these significantly more expensive players are funded. Will the 1014 Group only fund glamour signings?

In general though, yeah I agree it's a brilliant approach if you can get wealthy benefactors to ease the financial strain, and, I do generally agree that De Allende/Snyman/Kitshoff/Vermuelen etc are the sort of NIQs Irish provinces should be targeting; world class internationals who can elevate standards etc.

Hallelujah.

Now, any revision on how this game is positive for Munster?

Look, I never said there were no positives in this game- but whatever positives are there, have to be weighed up in the context of a shocking injury list that has left them pretty decimated in certain positions.

A lot of the other potential positives are almost entirely performance dependent - it could be a really good night for further building on the really good promise guys like Josh Wycherley, Edwin Edogbo etc have shown, it could help to restore the confidence of guys who look to be lacking a bit this season like Ben Healy (and possibly Gavin Coombes now too), but that will entirely depend on how they go. It could, of course, have the opposite effect on these items too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Was there a huge injury list when the fixture was planned? What do you actually expect munster to do here?

This fixture was planned during the international window when there is no club games. There was zero downside when it was planned, big influx of cash, a game in a city that complains of being ignored, gametime for the players during the three weeks they'd otherwise just be training, a chance to get more player involves as internationals are missing.

Now with hindsight and the amount of injuries it appears munster might be better off without it.

1. The game was announced in August. How could Munster possibly have known they'd have an injury list like this at the time?
    2. I don't think there's much pressure at all on Munster here; SA are clear favourites.

Ultimately, the many, many positives vastly outweigh any possible negatives, imo.

Yeah, I wasn't proposing not fulfilling the fixture, rather that they could have gone further into the academy/sub-academy to fulfil it if they needed to, whereas they've essentially gone full strength for this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'm fairly sure that the team picked is not far off everyone that is fit and available barring one or two at most.

Christ on a bike, if Munster picked a team without regular starters then we'd have noise about how Munster are greedy here just fulfilling the fixture and not playing any of their senior players.

Some people just want to be outraged when it comes to whatever Munster do.

How did they silent for so long.

Well... of course they've gone full strength. They were never not going to go full strength.

I get why you wouldn't necessarily go full strength against someone like, I dunno, Chile, for example.

• Advertisement

I, for one, am extremely excited about this "pure vanity fixture", phog.

Which, incidentally, will be the biggest attendance ever for a rugby game in the Province.

Advertisement