Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Property purchase on Sli na Manach, Mugret

• 12-09-2022 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

We are looking at the new development Cois Teampall, Sli na Manach, Mugret. Our most important requirements are a good community and nearby primary schools. I don’t have much idea about the area. Highly appreciated if some one can share the thoughts.

Does the recent social housing made any impacts on the neighbourhood?

House the traffic and road conditions? I heard it is getting horrific with the over developments

The price of a semi d 4 bedroom house seems to be around 430K. Is it seems to be very overpriced? I know the market is on its peak now.

Anything else to consider?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Depending no where you work, traffic out of Mungret is typically an absolute nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Rainislove

My wife works at Castletroy but both of us are working remotely with occasional office visit. The major thing would be the school pickup and drop of my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gerard20202020

There's a primary school very close to that estate, within walking distance.

Are you staying in or closer to the estate? Howz the neighbourhood and close by amenities? I am a bit concerned about the traffic too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

Cement factory on your doorstep just been granted an incinerator licence

Lots of social housing underway in the immediate area , personally I would avoid the area as I see it deteriorating already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Barbosa92

Lots of social housing underway and a lot more to come. Can see that whole area being less than desirable in the next 5-10 yrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Grim estates/housing being built with car spaces everywhere and F all spaces for kids to play etc.

Cram em' all in as much as possible. It's actually depressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Dont know much about Sli na Manach except for it is across the road from Mungret park, plenty of space for kids there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is that really good enough when they'd have to leave their estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coly5

Hi we bought in Sli na Manach and moved in last year, I would recommend it, it’s lovely, despite what the bitterness from some of the replies here might suggest.

Social housing is going to be a factor any area where development is taking place. The same people that give out about the housing crisis give out about social housing.

Personally I commute to work 4 days a week (Castletroy) and have no issues - some of the replies here would make you think it’s Dublin levels of traffic

Lots of young couples and young families in Sli na Manach, would recommend!

• Advertisement

People in this thread appear to be conflating Sli na Manach with Mungret Gate. Mungret Gate has all the social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Turire

We've recently asked agency for social houses in Mungret Gate and they said only 4 houses are sold for social housing. We didn't see any info about more social housing in mungret gate.

There's a whole section of social housing there - Baunacloka Heights.

10% of all new developments have to be allocated to part v social housing. This has increased to 20% for all new developments since 2021. Unless there is only 40 houses in Mungret Gate I would double check what the agency told you. Baunacloka heights right beside it was developed by a housing coop for low income families so that’s 71 social housing units right beside Mungret Gate.

Forgot to add there are also plans for 250 council houses to be built within a stones throw of Mungret Gate.

Baunacloka Heights was built by the same builders as the rest of Mungret Gate by the way, but developed specifically for the Cooperative Housing Ireland AHB

Because you said it was developed by a coop, it wasn't. It was developed for a coop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Turire

Thank you for the informations. We have looked into Sli Na Manach today for 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom houses. It's %10 social housing there. 3 bedroom prices seem little higher than Mungret Gate. What do you think that area? (We know it's close to cement factory)

Oh sorry. Massive mistake. Changes everything that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PS5012

Does the cement factory generate enough noise that it would be an issue for those living in Sli na Manach? Looking into houses there and that is one worry I have.

It's not noise that is the issue , it's now an incinerator with a very poor past record re emissions.

Yeah understand about the incineration license was also curious if noise pollution is also an issue from the factory

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bitent

No there isn't any issue with noise pollution from the factory currently. It's the endless construction that is currently causing the noise.

There is also a large group of kids living there that dump litter around the areas close to the new ones at the back. Despite there being a sizeable field, these kids play ball on the roads and near houses.

Also, they seem to drag up other kids from the surrounding areas as well

Be wary of promises made by the builders to you. They lied about many things in the beginning and continue to do so.

With all that said, it is a good area with nice people in it. Probably the best bet out that side of town.

Definitely do not pay the upwards of €455, 000 they are asking for some of those new builds that are listed.

Don't really hear much but I live near the South Court Hotel which is a little bit further away

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ebeanz

Is there anyone who lives at Sli Na Manach who can comment on if you can hear noise from your neighbours? Currently looking to buy there and someone who knows someone said that the walls between the houses are not well insulated and noise is a problem. I'd rather hear from people who actually live there than a friend of a friend. Also are you happy with the estate ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mitra

We're considering buying there, Cois Teampall, phase 2. I'd love to know if there are any dust ornair pollution issues from the cement factory?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I would not buy a house in the area if my life depended on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I found them very expensive for what they are offering. I am happy now and don't regret my decision in 2019.

That’s a bit harsh. Care to share your reasons why?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mitra

In fairness, this builder is giving far more than any other builder - underfloor heating, oak timber doors, tiling to bathrooms, flooring to the ground floor, and everything nicely finished. I have seen other developments from them and these items seem to be standard.

I have seen many builds so far in Galway, Limerick, Cork & Kildare and they are all not as good or nicely finished as this.

Cnoc an Chaisleáin a new build in Oranmore Galway by Kingscroft, doesn't have underfloor heating, no tiling and those doors and door handles & sanitary wear in the bathroom look like the cheapest ones available in Woodies/B&Q. and they asking 455k for 130 sqm house. 25 year old house that I'm renting has better fittings. It's just ridiculous money for a cheaply built house.

Another is Kylemore. Though this is a fully finished property with all the fixtures, it still doesn't have the same appeal. The font rendering facade look dull, and it is painted with worst possible color

I was about to close the deal but after deliberation, I backed off from Cois Teampall due to the fact that it's close to the cement factory. I initially thought it wouldn't bother me but it does, though the factory wasn't visible from the house I was thinking to buy. I went a few times into the estate where the new houses are being built, and every time I drove/walk into the estate that mammoth chimney/silo was teasing me.

If the cement factory doesn't bother you then it's a lovely development to own a house, not very densely built, with very high quality.

Lucky you. It will be a full blown incinerator soon. We live in The Grange. Beautiful place to live but LCC will have it all destroyed soon. So much extra traffic. Concrete jungle , private and social housing estates everywhere and allowed Cement Factory Incinerator licence slip between their very dim fingers

I'm in the exact same boat. Every time I drive into the estate it seems the factory gets bigger. There are also some nights where the noise from the factory seems very loud.

I'm also close to completing the deal (or at least having it become legally binding) but have serious doubts because of the factory.

• Advertisement

Not to mention the speed ramp! If you know, you know.

You must be in a different part of the estate.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lucslav

I have currently signed contract for Cois Teampall. I can live with cement plant but something else is bothering me. Got some rules from property management saying 'no satellite dishes' and then I see there are satellite dish on every 2nd house🤔.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I wouldn't buy a house in Mungret to save my life. It's going to be a hole in 5-10 years. Underfloor heating won't be much comfort when an incinerator is at your door, traffic is an absolute nightmare and the usual elements get to ruining estates as we see in so many other areas of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 lucslav

There is Twitter bot showing air quality measurements at Fr Russell Road station. PM 2.5 is basically flat all day at very minimal level, and only peaks I guess are coming from private houses using central heating and fireplaces in certain hours

https://twitter.com/LimerickAir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

The estates should never have been built near the factory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭RINO87

All the good finishes in the world will be worth nothing, when you are sitting there having worked hard to save your deposit, and working to pay the mortgage while a few doors down, feral kids whose parents were given a house, are slowly destroying same said good finishes....and when their work is done, and the house is wrecked, the council will come in and renovate it, and shur they may as well replace the solar panels and heat pump while they are at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I was very interested in buying here. Took a spin out there last Saturday night at. 8pm. No way. Groups and groups of kids on bikes and scooters (which is fine, kids play ) but they will soon be teenagers and that’s when the issues start

Every estate has kids in it, unless you buy in the equivalent of a retirement village

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭topcat72

A general comment - I recall many of these type threads over the years. Mention any area of the city and you get two broad responses

(A) was a 'very quiet area' but now undefined 'others' are moving in ( insert tales about said ' others' ) AND OTHERS may have CHILDREN. Boo.

(b) council are planning/ mentioning housing next door / 2 km away , behind wall etc . some of which is ' social'

I live in Corbally, and recall the exact same comments here many years about estates and developments , all of which were absolute shock stories of urban decay. None of which were true. I have lived in one for 20 years.

So, if buying in any estate of development, visit it at different times of day, see is it littered ( always a negative sign) , see how well it's maintained etc. Are owners refurbishing houses ? ( if so it's a plus) Do people know each other ( another plus) Seeing children ( the HORROR.. ) is hardly a sign it will be Beirut in 10 years.

People react in different ways to situations.

You mentioned Beirut, nobody else did.

So you are gaslighting.

Dead meme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I would be concerned about the incinerator, I wouldn't trust that lot to run a bakery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement