Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The report seemed to say that under the right circumstances LFP batteries could vent explosive gases. Not really sure what those conditions were and if they're ever likely to be met in real world conditions

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's the cobalt in most lithium batteries that can cause combustion. No cobalt in LiFePO4 cells, no combustion. Just venting. Smells nasty though 😁

Stop cutting batteries open to see how they smell! 😉😂

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Its not for us to restrict Unkel's Only Fans income Genre.....

Was an experiment to see how an already very bloated Pylontech pack would behave under full load. It didn't end well 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Did you wire it incorrectly? (presuming you've seen the YT videos about problematic pylontech issues and the youtuiber being accused of that)

Yes of course I wired it correctly 😂

There was nothing to wire anyway, have you ever opened a Pylontech? Both positive and negative terminals have a double thick cable coming out of them terminated in a double XT90 connector. The cables are more than thick enough for the current they will ever carry

The Pylontechs are rated for just C/2 continuous and I probably pushed them to a bit beyond that at about 1C (but nowhere near the limit of the cables). And the pack was already badly compromised. So it couldn't take no more and started venting like a maniac after about an hour on full load 😂

Next experiment: Will it blend? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you see some of my posts in the solar for dummies thread there's a risk of that being me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

My first trip coming up outside range of car so looking for some advice...is this the correct thread, couldn't find any other more suited.

Cupra Born 58kw, range on motorway going to be about 300kms, maybe less if its cold and I give it a bit of welly.

Going from Dublin to North antrim, will be leaving with full charge at approx 3 pm Monday afternoon. Returning tuesday evening.

204kms apparently so 408km round trip will be well outside range. No destination charger.

Plan is to charge at castlebellingham approx 100kms into journey back to full then do trip to antrim and back to castlebellingham on Tuesday (200kms) then charge again to get me the final 100kms home.

I can't see how to do this comfortably without stopping twice. Its mainly motorway so im not going to drop below 120 kms speed.

I'm not going to chance it with range. Is this my best bet for the journey? Will there be a good chance I'll get charger straight away in castlebellingham on Monday about 4pm and Tuesday about 7pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You will not get 300KM driving in wet miserable weather at motorway speed.

Is there no 22KW/50KW chargers where your going that you could pop over to? Or do you have an option to throw the granny charger through the window and charge overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I've no idea about chargers near where I'm going but it's northern Ireland so I'm not sure what accounts I'd need etc...does esb e cars work in NI?

Youre prob right about max range at this time of year but not achieving 300kms doesn't really bother me in the scenario above I'd only have to do 200kms between hitting castlebellingham on the way up and way back....Once I'm not missing any easier way to do this. Happy enough to spend am extra hour or so on each leg charging I'll grab a coffee and something to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Download Plug Share and have a look at where you're going to see what sort of chargers are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

On a different thread somebody else was recommended to check out Gridserve at IKEA Belfast. Might be a useful plan B.

Ionity City North is a more reliable option, but it's too close to Dublin to be much use

Best plan is to juice up at Castlebellingham if the queue isn't too long

Failing that, go for IKEA Belfast. It's a paid charger so less likely to be blocked. Or a 22kW AC charger

Hit Ionity on the way home for a quick top up if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭wassie

And if you are looking like your falling short simple rule is just go slower.

Dropping from 120kmh to 100kmh on the motorway for 100km will only cost you 10 minutes, but it will be way more efficient giving you extra range.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

ESB card works the same in the north with the exception that it doesn't cost you anything to charge.

I've found the charger in Armagh car park works fine. Also the charger in dungannon in Sainsbury's car park is also reliable and the charger at the Glenavon hotel in Cookstown also works fine. There is a 50kw charger at a petrol station near Maghera but I'm not sure if it's reliable or working.

Edit. The petrol station in Maghera is Crawford's and it's a new easygo CCS 50kw charger that's installed so you should be grand.

Also depending on how far north into north Antrim you are there is a new 50kw charger at the maxol station in Portrush but as it's ESB and free it will likely be busy.

Post edited by mfceiling on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Not specifically an EV story, but if you have the panels you can have the chargers…anyone know what the largest car park is here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

North Antrim is vague.

Below is your CCS options. Beware esb chargers in NI are free to use but crazy busy or broken, so avoid charging in NI.

Try fill up to 80% in castlebellingham, if it's busy check in app to see if other side of motorway charger is in use or if Dundalk town 50kW is free. I would not head north of Dundalk without 80%+ charge.

There are a few options in NI and ai would take a charge if passing in case you need it later. Lidl on shore road Belfast is 50kW and pay to use but you may need to set up easygo app. Other busier options nearby. If you did top up there it may save stress later. Other 50kW chargers you pass may be worth checking on the app or stopping to check. Charge more than you really need to and it will reduce stress levels and if next charger is busy no panic.

The Dublin airport carparks combined would be the largest.

Not sure if its been mentioned before, but we went to Disneyland Paris this year. They have completed a third of a their carpark solar array project . When completed this will be one of the largest solar canopys in Europe.

• 17 hectares covering up to 9,000 parking spaces
    • 67,500 solar panels totaling 17MW
    • Expected production of 31GWh annually.

Short video below worth a watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I thought I had been to large car parks until I went to DisneyWorld, hold crap Batman! That's 11k but there's a shopping mall in Canada that can take 20k!!!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

They have some bizarre parking regulations in America (US in particular). There's something like 6 parking spaces for every car in the country

I remember doing the walk of death around the Disney world car park in Florida while the parents were trying to find the rental car in the sea of parking spaces

Some shade from solar panels would have certainly made the experience a bit easier

Extremely random EV thought, I was sitting behind a 3008 earlier and noticed the HYbrid badge on the back

Why did they capitalise the HY??? It looks like the car is trying to say Hi Bríd

I'm sure there's some marketing gimmick in there but it's just annoying me now. Makes it seem like the car is powered by hydrogen or something 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I imagine they would love an ''E'' or an ''I'' but it would be court cases and millions of euros involved.

Yeah probably some way to distinguish their system from other manufacturers hybrid systems

I mean they're basically functionally the same but I'm guessing Toyota or someone has some kind of trademark on the term Hybrid drive

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So it turns out the Toyota compliance utter pile of scut turns out to be an actual utter pile of scut....

Seems like it's usable battery is not the claimed 71.4kWh, but a rather paltry 62kWh, and a full charge got it (under WLTP conditions) only 317km....

Most cars tested by this crowd in Norway generally get close-ish to their advertised range, but the best they could achieve in the bz4x was 40% off the advertised range!! - and they even tested it 3 different times such was their bemusement at the poor range they were seeing!

Didn't see that one coming!!

Really can't wait for Bjorn to get his hands on one....

• Advertisement

Ah shure, thats how you "guarantee it (the battery) will retain at least 70 per cent of its capacity up to 10 years".

...because they don't give you the full whack to begin with.

Advertisement