Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Midterms 2022 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,426 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'd love to know how many provisional ballots were issued on dubious grounds in Colorado, have any of those been counted yet? unlikely I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 45,973 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Is the voting swing (as far as I understand it) in places like Miami and New York (even if they win/won New York in the end) be a big worry and something to be a concern for the Presidential elections? if Reps make up any more significant ground in NY that would be a huge congressional numbers loss for Democrats. Or am I just seeing bias Rep retweets on Twitter?

In fact there's an argument to be made that the anticipated red wave was so abhorrent to many, that the very idea of this happening encouraged more to come out and vote than otherwise would have happened. So it may have been a total illusion dreamt up by pollsters and Republicans, but this may have ironically created a situation where more came out to vote against this imaginary prospect.

No evidence to back this up, but I can imagine the fear of this taking place would act as a massive motivator for many people, particularly young people.

Just imagine you're a dick of a husband living in a household of 4 adults, yourself, your wife, and 2 adult chldren.

You're a staunch supporter of 1 of the 2 parties, You then insist your wife and kids vote for that party regardless of their own preference

In a polling station, the Father/Husband is not allowed into the booth and there is no way of him knowing who they actually voted for

Similarly, you're a Pastor in some cult like church. You have a 'voting event' where all your congregation bring in their mail in ballots to be completed where the pastor can check who they voted for. Refusing to participate results in some kind of punishment

Or you work for a horrible employer who thinks party x will be bad for his business, so he puts pressure on his staff to prove that they voted for the 'correct' party. They have to take a photograph of their ballot before sending it in or they risk losing out on a promotion or suffering some other punishment.

These are the reasons why secret ballots in a polling station were brought in in the first place, because assholes did actually try to bully people into voting for their preferred candidate under threat of some kind of sanction if they don't comply.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Democrats screwed themselves in NY - They went through redistricting and those changes got thrown out because they gerrymandered the crap out of them.

Because the changes were late in the day multiple Democrat candidates ended up having to shift districts etc. which impacted the vote for them - Serves them right.

You'd imagine they'll plan better for 2024 given that the new districts are now locked for a good while to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,024 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I know it’s going to a run off in Georgia but according to nbc news Warnock is at 49.6 % with an estimated 44,000 votes left and bits to come in in democratic counties. I’m sure the Georgia officials have exact numbers and are sure but it looks very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Christy42

I can see that. With Roe vs Wade the genie is out of the bottle. Some republicans have stated they want a federal ban which is going to motivate many young people (pretty sure we got the young vote out for that referendum ourselves). Many will fear for lgbt relationships which was also mentioned at the time if the supreme Court doesn't swing back which will again have a strong youth vote.

It will be difficult for Republicans to say they don't want a nationwide abortion ban without annoying their base so they are a little stuck there.

There is also a chance that the next few years of elections get seen as a Roe vs Wade referendum and even in red states abortion bans have been shown to be pretty unpopular when asked about directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,426 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You can still go to the polls. You can still drop off your ballot in a box or request another one your spouse doesn't have. You can also (chiefly) report domestic or spousal abuse in voting to the state elections board, and let them know your vote/votes need to be nullified because it was given under duress.

Not seen any evidence there is any issue in these vote by mail states with domestic capture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It's definitely something to keep an eye on. NY won't be turning red anytime soon but questions need to be asked about why there has been a shift toward the Republicans across the state.

Elsewhere Ohio, Florida and Texas are all seemingly completely out of reach for the Democrats. The question for them is do they write them off and funnel their resources elsewhere or do they still hold out hope that they can win there "with the right candidate"

I get that America is a big population, but that doesn't matter, you have a bigger population, so there are more people to man the additional polling centers that you need to provide the service

Voting in America does look like an enormous PITA from observing from afar, but it's not a problem at all in Ireland. If you're near to a school, you're near a polling station and pretty much everywhere has a school within a short distance. (community centers, sports facilities are also used)

I have never queued for more than a minute to vote, ever, and the staff are well trained and know what they're doing.

In America, the 'home of democracy' they make voting more difficult in a lot of places, on purpose because the incumbent party often knows that lower turnouts benefit them.

I did also say that given how poorly a lot of elections are run, voting by mail is likely the lesser of two evils. The number of people who may be disenfranchised because of coersion is likely smaller than those who would be disenfranchised because of voter suppression or underfunded services making it too difficult for them to vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lake/Hobbs still looking tight. What's the forecast at this point?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Hobbs is slowly extending the lead.

Votes are not breaking to Lake at anything like the rate she'd need to take the lead.

If Lake does lose though, expect her to go all scorched earth on spurious legal challenges and so on..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Postal voting removes the right to a secret ballot from people who may be in an oppressive relationship, either in their family, or in a church or workplace.

How so? People don't have to use it you know.

You're right about oppression when it comes to voting though, it does exist. Have long seen it with oppressive voter id regulations impinging people from particular communities and gerrymandering. We saw it over the last few weeks with unidentified people with guns stalking drop boxes, saw it on Tuesday with a poll worker wearing a MAGA hat, and in other cases where there was no screen around the table where people filled out their ballot paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭briany

Figured that, but unfortunately for Lake, her backup plan seems to be going out of fashion. Not as fast as I'd like, but still.

I seem to recall that this is a problem in some British Asian communities.

Here's an article from 2015 about the issue:

Boebert seems to have pulled ahead - now up by nearly 400 votes. That's a shame.

I suspect that she will have learned precisely nothing from this close shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

That's a shocker , Lake is dire but outside the echo chambers it was felt that Hobbs was a weak enough candidate, so in this environment Lake really should be winning.

Blake Masters looks doomed also but he was a dismal choice. Initial impressions count and the dude looks like a serial killer ffs.

She learned to shut up and not spread overnight conspiracies though. Smartest thing she's done to date is let the count play out.

Here's where that Boebert jump came from:

• Advertisement

**** an Arizona thanksgiving this year.

The Arizona Republican party is one of the most extreme iterations of that brand in the country. I'd be delighted if they lost the Governor, Senate and Secretary of State races, especially with it likely to be pivotal again in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

NY is a fully blue state so they were always in for some regression and a slap on the wrist given the generally negative environment, with inflation, crime hyperbole etc. Upstate NY has always been much redder, as anyone who was up there during the Trump years could see, so it isn't like this is a new thing. They also had a weak governor for governor at the top of the ticket, who some dems were annoyed about Cuomo being ousted, a strong-ish GOP running against her. Throw in the failed gerrymandering, including late moving dem candidates, and it was near a perfect storm against them. If the dem judges had been as partisan as the GOP ones in the likes of Florida and Texas then dems would have gained seats.

Florida on the other hand is now firmly a red state, bolstered by more republicans moving there during COVID, minority groups being naturally more open to the GOP, and a governor that is the current golden boy. They were also helped by the democrats running awful top of the ticket candidates for that area.

Agree those might be off the table but others are coming on that pose the same questions for the GOP. Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Colorado are now far more blue than purple and Arizona is a toss-up rather than a guaranteed GOP seat. That isn't even mentioning Georgia and North Carolina being surprisingly close this year with practically no dem investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Oh yeah for sure the Arizona GOP while its not as useless as Florida Democrat machine, give it a few years and on this current trajectory especially with Dicey gone then it could be as ineffective .

I suppose though their has to come a time when they get fed up losing by picking losers they may get their act together but it wont be for a while.

I should say on Arizona Democrats , they have built a hugely impressive movement on the ground, but with Hobbs and obviously Sinema they just need to pick better candidates in such roles.

• Administrators Posts: 53,847 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Apparently most of the remaining districts will likely lean for Frisch, with one of them looking to lean quite heavily, so it could swing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Sinema is up in 2024 so she'll likely need to play somewhat nice with Biden or else increase the risk of being taken out in a primary (likely to face a challenge either way).

On Sinema, I saw one of the Dem AZ House Reps sarcastically sub-tweet her yesterday:

The replies are full of people asking him to primary her

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,847 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Advertisement