Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealer pocketed farmer's payment for bullock he transported.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Same as OP happed us here 10 more years back. Deadler took animal in. Months later no sign of cheque. Rang dealer. Got 400 cheque off him , rang factory after and they paid dealer 1200.

Too quite to say anything back then

Had never sent to factory before that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

What part of the world are ye all from that you won't make a fuss if you are not paid for cattle. Around me, people are very protective of there cattle and would feel a lot more embarrassed at being conned than making a fuss. I would be running that dealer out of any mart, pub or shop till he paid. I would have a path worn to his yard. Must be a different country up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

It's not just the dealer in the wrong. The factory are allowing agents to slaughter animals in a farmers name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d be the same, no way I’d let anyone away with that and I honestly can’t think of any farmer around me that would let someone away with that. You’d nearly have to wonder is it a true story at all, it just makes no sense to let something like that go.

Between the dealer and the factory I’d have them hounded morning noon and night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

You can wonder away, it happened. I talk to the man most days, i don’t like asking him about it. I’ve told him the advice given here but he’s reluctant to go down those routes, everyone is different i suppose. I’ll try to get him to make some progress with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’m not doubting your story, more-so the man that told you.

To be honest if I was you I wouldn’t bother my arse trying to get him to make progress with it. If he’s too stupid, or proud, or whatever word you’d like to use, to do something about that himself then my opinion would be he doesn’t deserve help from anyone else to sort it.

He obviously doesn’t need the money so let him off.

When the processors used to quote in p/lb but pay in euro/ kg you had to multiply by 2.8 to get the price per kg. This ment that prices end up with franctional cent/ kg. Now instead of multiplying out the results and rounding at the end processors used to round the cent/ kg

A few processors used to round down. In one factory they used to round down the .6c/ kg so they would save 1c/ kg. I used to ring about it. Most processors would just pay it but with one PM I had a flaming argument one time over it. He said it was there policy, he was sticking to his guns until I told him to put me on to the plant manager. I always got paid, it would be 3-4 euro on an animal effected maybe 2-3 on a load.

I used to get the cheques out with 7-11 euro. It was as good in my pocket as in Larry's

Ya I cannot understand why lads let thing like that away. It your money. I have heard of a few instance where the processor agreed to pay transport and then deduct it from.rhe cheque. A lad told me he rang the procurement manager told him if it was not paid he park the car and trailer on the intake gate on a Friday morning at 7 am and wait for it to paid. Not sure If I would have done that 10 years ago. I probably would now.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭monseiur

Not a cattle man but reading this with interest. Just a hypothetical question - if after slaughtering the factory vet noticed that the animal in question had some serious contagious/notifiable disease who's herd would the Dept. lock down ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Depending on timeframes I would say both the farmer and the dealer would have their herds locked down. If contagious then I would also expect the neighbouring herds to be locked down as would be the case with a TB outbreak.

If you think back to Foot and Mouth then it could result in an entire region being locked down. Really depends on the severity of the disease.

There is only two cattles disease that are really contagious, Foot and mouth and Anthrax neither which we have here thankfully.

If either of them were involved all bets are off as to what is he Dept would do.

Other than that it TB. Department would look for the farmer to do a herd test and lock up his herd from being allowed to buy or sell in mart he still be allowed to slaughter

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

100% the farmer the animal would not be in the dealers herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

checks are done on the line at slaughter for suitably for human consumption and checked for TB and none after slaughter

Advertisement