Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Ffs, soft play by the EU again. Playing into the Tories position that technology can prevent border checks. Boris played the EU like a fiddle.

Now that the UK has got the deal, got the technology "checks" by a "live feed", they can proceed with dumping crap over the border. The EU is getting weaker with every turn.

KdF here could well turn out to be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Are these checks between NI and GB. how's that a win, theres still going to be checks, VAT, Duty etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,094 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No it's not and no he won't be.

Just more fantasy masturbation material from the anti EU crowd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He caved into the EU's first demand. No idea why you keep pushing this sort of silly fake news here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What? Have you been living under a rock since 2019? The UK were supposed to produce a customs IT system capable of serving real-time data to the EU ages ago; the NIP was agreed on the basis that such a system would be available to implement it. EU is blue in the face complaining that a functional system has yet to be delivered. The notion that this system being finally delivered will represent some kind of weakening on the part of the EU is just . . . bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

That's the way Brexit has worked over the last few years. The UK caves in to something and the UK politicians present it as a great victory. Then they repeat this ad nauseum until enough of their population believes it. That's the actual depressing part to me. No matter what the UK gov says and even if they backtrack a week later their loyal supporters are there to justify and defend them in spite of all logic.

e.g. Look at how the vaccine rollout is still presented as a Brexit benefit despite the fact that the MHRA came out and said that being in the EU made no difference (and they were actually in the EU when they started the rollout). Still plenty of idiots grab it as their one Brexit benefit.

Meanwhile the rest of the EU doesn't really care, the UK just gets more in a mess while the EU moves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

If the NIP was agreed, why are the EU negotiating changes in its implementation. Doesn’t sound very agreed to me.

Can you really not see what the UK are doing. They will point to the fact that the EU has live data now as a negotiation tactic so that checks can be relaxed.

Then they will dump crap.

Then when the EU discover this crap and tighten the checks, the UK can point to the intransigence of the EU as implementing the border even though a deal was agreed.

Then we are back at square one.

Then what happens?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, it's the same chicken little soapboxing we've had to endure since 2016.

Have you any actual evidence for this?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

It was agreed by the EU. It was also agreed by the UK but then they read what they had worked on designing and agreeing to. The UK gov have been moaning and groaning about it for the last couple of years doing a large amount of damage to their economy and not really achieving much else.

The EU can either be strict about the protocol which would damage the EU and the UK or they can be more pragmatic. As long as there is not much impact to the EU why not?

As an example, when the UK government woke up and realised that the protocol would be an issue to medicines in Northern Ireland, the EU changed the law so it wouldn't be an issue. Obviously, the UK gov took that as a huge win rather than appreciating it. The grown ups saw the problem and fixed it (albeit slowly) while the kids jumped up and down claiming it as a win. It was an issue that should have been picked up before the withdrawal date, but Boris wasn't really a "details" kind of guy and I doubt the people he appointed were either.

As to "they will dump crap". I'm not sure why that wouldn't be picked up on. I'm not a customs expert though so I don't know why if the UK provide the data requested and checks are reduced that means the UK can freely dump what it wants into the EU. Can you elaborate?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The checks on the GB/NI border are not that important if no 'crap' is crossing from GB to NI.

However, the SM works on market surveillance, and that will continue in the background. If it is detected that 'crap' is coming into the SM via the NI/GB border, (and it will) then that will be tackled by more checks, and more surveillance. And then with much more of both if the problem persists - then heavy fines.

That is the way it works. Of course, GB scrapping all the EU standards is going to help this - not.

• Advertisement

The EU agreed to the NIP. The NIP provides for a process whereby changes to its implementation can be discussed and agreed. If this "doesn't sound very agreed" to you, that's only because you haven't read the NIP.

If market surveillance detects the integrity of the single market being compromised, the EU - as you point out - can ramp up checks. Yes, the UK can moan and whine about intransigence, but so what? They do that already, for all the good it does them. Plus, in this scenario, the EU will be able to point to the evidence of harm, based on the UK's own customs data, to show that they're not being intransigent; they are just responding to problems that are known to exist. The UK's moaning and whinging will have all the credibility of a Boris Johnson denial that he ever threw lockdown parties in Downing St.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A high-profile Brexiteer lamenting that it's not quite the Brexit he wanted - is always an amusing read.

Brexit-backing Next boss says UK needs more overseas workers - BBC News

"I think in respect of immigration, it's definitely not the Brexit that I wanted, or indeed, many of people who voted Brexit wanted," he said.

What a load of nonsense. He basically wants everything to suit him. All the "benefits" of Brexit but gets to keep his cheap labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Stop buying into the fresh layer of polish that is occasionally applied to the underlying Brexit excrement, by one side or the other, every now and then for the sake of political virtue signalling, and leave the tea leaves well alone.

Away from the facile headlines seeking to soothe minds about the enduring skipfire, the coalface reality is, unsurprisingly, a little different:

Tim Martin said the same thing. They're special cases, apparently.

A lot of people voted for less immigration. Now, what's going to happen is that the UK will have to source labour from outside the EU. You either breed a workforce or you import it.

They knew what they were voting for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd say what he's angry about is precisely the last part of your last sentence: all these Big Business Boys probably got told wonderful stories in the backrooms and away from recording devices; how Brexit would basically strip-mine the UK economy and worker protections to facilitate the kind of sweatshops and Zero Hour Contract heavens that'd make them all more money than Musk. For one reason or another that hasn't happened - yet - and now they're píssy this Libertarian hell-hole still remains a wet dream.

Great that more and more people are coming around to the idea that hey, Brexit as an idea really sucks in 2020+ - even if their motives are as far from those young people shouting outside Westminster as you can get.

I think it's our old friend, English exceptionalism once again.

They'll have thought that England is so wonderful that there's no way potential immigrants would survey the situation before coming over and that all those young, often qualified Eastern Europeans with options will still apply for visas in droves so they can stack shelves and make coffee. Once that fantasy was revealed for what it was, they now face this.

We were told that immigration drives down wages. What these Bill Gateses (?) now have to contend with is that nobody actually wants to work for their crappy businesses for poverty wages. They could increase wages but that'd mean less profits. A child could have seen this coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Exactly. A reduction in immigration was never the plan. It was sold to the working class as if it was, but that was simply a lie.

What they wanted was that immigrants would be shipped in, work in the fields or factories, and then go back to their own country. Rinse and repeat.

But no families, no roots, no getting integrated, no moving jobs, rights etc.

That all these people would simply jump at the chance to visit the UK, earn some money (but they would be millionaires back home!) and then return home.

There was never any intention to raise wage levels, perfectly shown by the sheer disgust at rail workers and nurses having the cheek to actually want a pay rise.

What still amazes me is that so many people still haven't copped on to the major con they have been sold. Its all blame the EU, we need more time etc, when clearly the entire foundation of Brexit has been shown to be complete fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Which always begs the question - what kind of Brexit did he want and want kind of Brexit did the people who voted for it want, since not "a sketch of a plan" was outlined?

Ascribing it to exceptionalism is giving the idea it was considered too much credit.

The roles being offered in retail say wouldn't come under any visa category generally that I am aware of.

There is no particular way for a young European person to arrive and look for general work as before Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭tanko

Where can i find out how the extra £350 million per week that the Brits aren’t sending to Brussels is being spent in the NHS every week since 2016?

I don't understand the first line of your post here.

The theme underpinning Brexit has always been that of wanting Brexit but only as long as other people felt the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think they also assumed that Brexit would accompany measures to force the 'Lazy' young british people to get off the dole and get a job for less than a living wage

These people have a really skewed view of what its like to be a young person emerging into the labour force in 2022

Problem, is that they weren't as lazy as they thought, and there are very few people who are actually available for work, who aren't already in a job

About 1% long term unemployment rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Truss, Patel, Kwarteng, Truss, Skidmore and others are all co-authors of Britannia Unchained. Their opinion of working class British people is that they're slightly better than immigrants.

And pizza places that were going to ship mass amount of containers across the channel with no boats 😂

As I understood your point the exceptionalism was that young people would still apply for visas despite having better/other/easier options.

My mangled response was that this was (probably) never even possible - there are no visa options for a person to come work for Next, that door was firmly and clearly shut.

Sounds to me like we are both making exactly the same point.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Post edited by FraserburghFreddie on

• Advertisement

And if he had got the Brexit he wanted, then other Brexiters would not have got the Brexit that they wanted, and they would be just as unhappy as he is.

The truth is that there is no Brexit that commands majority support. Brexiters know this, which is why they feel so desperately insecure. And, far from laying the question of the UK's relations with the rest of Europe to rest, Brexit has ensure that it will remain constantly unsettled, as factions which want different versions of Brexit compete with one another, and none can secure a majority that will see their opponents off.

Advertisement