Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭fliball123

Give it 12 months already tech bubble has burst and that's not to mention how dire our small and medium domestic companies are going. Throw in interest rates possible going above 4% in the next 12 months. House prices would of dropped by the end of the year but the Central bank (after been put under pressure from the government) tinkering with the lending limits has stalled that for now but once those interest rates go up and up and up and our population starts to get smaller and unemployment grows and with a huge cut to our corpo tax we will see a drop in property prices by the end of next year and the gobshites in power for years have been using the gains from corpo tax to increase our yearly outgoings in both welfare and public sector pay and pensions.. Sure what could go wrong. I point you to Bertie who did the same with welfare and the public sector (benchmarking twice) before that bubble burst in 08 and based this expenditure on the then very expensive stamp duty returns. Its all well and good to do this if we had no debt but we are one of the most indebted nations in the world and the cost of which will rise as interest rates increase. Ireland will be losing a lot of people over the next 12/24 months any young person and even older ones will seriously think about emigration due to no housing to buy or rent. The same issues with property supply does not seem to be as acute in places like the US , UK, Canada or Australia which are typically the most popular destination for our population when it comes to emigration. The cat is out of the bag Ireland is now the most shorted Euro market going from 1% to over 46% so the money men are telling us that they see a whole heap of suffering in the next 12 months for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Christ if you think people will look at the UK as an enticing prospect to move in the next 12 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

The short interest spiking all of a sudden is extremely worrying. The money men know Ireland is fur coat and no knickers especially if these tech heavies corporates tax intakes drop substantially not alone the affect of all the job losses on the income tax side of the balance sheet. The thing is with these tech jobs now is every big tech company in Ireland is on a hiring freeze or laying people off. The people that get laid off realistically have nowhere to go as their counterparts are on hiring freezes. Tough times ahead, as my 'aul fella' would say "no harm, a good aul bang ill put manners on them".

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

I think what you find is that the UK tends to bounce back quicker because it is such a magnet for people, especially London.

What happens to Ireland if the heat comes out of MNCs and a bloated professional services sector; will we be part of the next wave of mobile, global capital as it moves around the globe or will it pass is by? What else can we hang the economic hat on losing a big chunk of our GDP contributors?

It's a small, open economy as we all know so very flexible and adaptive but also vulnerable. Unfortunately, like with what we had at the start of COVID with an uncertain political climate (no government party for months and the civil servants running the place during a once in a lifetime pandemic), I think there is a risk that the economic slowdown will coincide with potentially a nubile SF-lead government that will unfortunately delay any sort of recovery due to lack of experience and being the dog that catches up with the car.

Emigration release valve; recalibrate and rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Government showed their cards when they changed lending rules.

It was literally the most non-sensical time to do it in terms of supporting and helping buyers, the only reason for a raise in limits is to prop up falling prices.

Clear display that government policy does not align with the interest of the people. There will be a **** show this year.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

The CBI lending rules change will contribute to housing price increase for sure.

The government in the other hand will introduce new measures the moment they sniff a price slowdown as it will lead to a decrease in new houses being built, as they rely on new houses for social/affordable housing... everything is linked and supply is still very low so I don't think prices will decrease at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

If after the last few years ANYONE believes that the state is run for the benefit of Irish citizens, then please PM me, for I have some magic beans to sell. This isn't a country; it's some sort of bizarre pension fund / Ponzi scheme with a flag. To me, living in Ireland is like trying to climb a pyramid whilst those further up pour oil down the slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭OEP

In fairness he has a point. What reason was there to relax these rules when we have feck all supply? These questions have to be asked and the government were the ones putting pressure on the Central Bank to relax the rules. It completely flies in the face of trying to fight inflation and our cost of living crisis. Why do it now? Why not wait until we have a bit more stock to choose from (even if that takes a few years)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

You're free to leave anytime you like to a state that is run for the benefit of its citizens, like the 'People's Republic of China' or 'Democratic People's Republic of Korea' (thats North not South), where they appreciate the voices of dissent on publicy accessible forums.

I have two responses to that. Firstly, yes I was being deliberately hyperbolic, and I think that that is rather obvious. Secondly, the "why don't you just leave" rebuttal has always seemed a very odd thing to say. I actually care about this country, and I am invested in trying to do the best that I can to help my family here. I myself am childless and single, but I have a nephew, and I am trying to gather a patrimony to leave to him. I also look after my last surviving grandmother and my mother.

I am fully aware that Ireland is a lot better than a lot of other places in the world, but this is no way obviates the very clear (to me at least) reality that the social contract of this country is broken, and things may well get worse. Telling someone who points this out that they should leave is simply a maddingly defeatist remark to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭OEP

I don't see anywhere in my statement that agrees with relaxing the rules. Nor do I see anything in his statement that gives a reasoned argument against relaxing the rules - just a hyperbolic statement about the state of Ireland.

sorry I had no coffee me I attached the wrong quote .. apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 20,023 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

so the government get blamed for the CB rule change and the post ends with another non specific doom prediction, pretty standard.

Will you stop the government have been putting pressure on the CB for years to relax the rules. So yeah they should be blamed for their part it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The article is behind a paywall. The only company I could see named before the wall was Flutter Entrainment which is a gaming/ betting company it owns Paddy Power which it says is the most shorted

I looked up the CB list you will see it below. It lists no current positions. On the historical list there was some action on bigger Irish corporate stocks most manufacturing companies that have large operations outside Ireland ( Kerry group, Glanbia, Smurfit, Irish Continental Group) but they do not seem to be in place at present

https://www.centralbank.ie/regulation/industry-market-sectors/securities-markets/short-selling-regulation/public-net-short-positions

While Flutter entertainment may be shorted it mainly a British company so it may be over priced in the irish Market.

The Irish market is notorious as it it such a small market. I be much more worried if I saw the Irish banks shorted or companies just involved in the Irish market

Slava Ukrainii

There was more than Flutter, as the article explains up until recently Ireland's short position was at about 1% of the market we have leapfrogged France and the basket case that is the UK (I mean look at the sh1tshow over there) to hit the number one position. We are 15% higher than the UK. The banks are in a good position feck all competition and high saving rates giving them a nice tidy increase in profits from interest rates. I think we are going to see an absolute decimation of Irish SMEs in the next 12 months and if tech keeps going the way it has been next year's budget will be full of tax increases and spending cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The only short positions listed( and they are historical) are for bigger companies that have exposure to the international market. There is very few companies on the Irish stock market that have huge dependence on the Irish SME's.

Most of the stock value in the Irish market is made up.by our large MBC's ( Kerry, Glanbia, Surmfits, CRH, Ryanair, Flutter ICG) and the Irish Banks you cannot short any large portion without shorting them.

The last big shot on the Irish market was Irish Permanent about 4 years ago where it was shorted and the price fell substantially. This was due to its exposure to negative ECB interest rates.

90% of Flutter's business is outside Ireland.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

The rebuttal was simply a response to your rant which wasnt making any point. But in fairness, your post above does add to this discussion and I would agree with your notion of the social contract being broken.

I'm permitted one rant per week; it's in my boards contract :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Nah, been here before the first tech crash 2001/2002 I remember it well, this is very similar, investors getting the heeby jeebies around the companies they put money into especially the ones not making profit, Musk buying Twitter was a gargantuan mistake on his behalf, he might kill it, who knows? But something else will take its place, Metaverse another huge mistake but the writing has been on the wall for Facebook for some time now.

All these companies will be replaced by other companies, it’s tech it’s going nowhere, I’ve been involved in the industry since the mid nineties, in that time I’ve been made redundant 3 times, had contracts abruptly end, been part of startups that sunk, I’ve also been part of hugely successful companies, but the one constant is nothing stays forever.

Tech jobs pay fantastic, but there’s zero security staying in the one place for over 6 years is a major mistake, tech doesn’t work the way traditional industries work (tech is such a catch all term, some industries are all tech, others have a tech component).

I wouldn’t worry too much about these layoffs other companies will take the staff, the MCN’s aren’t leaving Ireland either, we have a low tax rate, English speaking population, serious tech skills across the board, oh and we’re part of the EU, if you feel like doing business with the biggest market on earth.

Post edited by The Spider on

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

You keep your positive rhetoric to yourself please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Theres a certain macabre glee that some people take when discussing the Irish economy crashing. Glad that tech job losses will lower demand. Happy that interest rates will lower demand. Happy that emigration (god knows to where) will lower demand. As if we're going to see a repeat of 2008 and a fire sale on houses.

I just can't see it happening. For every one downward pressure theres two upward pressures. This just feels like March 2020. Huge uncertainty followed by an inevitable rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,562 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I am are of a Tiger era estate which still has unsold, fully built, 2008 spec houses (Radharc an Atha in Glenties); and also when I was last in Oldtown in North county Dublin in 2020 there were still a few skeletons of houses there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Also one thing to remember, when the last tech crash happened it had zero effect on the economy, builders were going gangbusters, people were buying houses left right and centre, guys who were laid off in IT got jobs on building sites, also most people aren’t out of jobs for very long.

and conversely when the big house price crash around 2007 happened it had minimal impact on the IT sector I know many people in many companies and none of them lost their jobs, one effect I’ll say it did have was people wanting to be in bigger companies rather than taking a chance on the smaller ones.

The rise after March 2020 was probably mostly due to money printing. Trillions of dollars / euros / whatever were printed by states throughout the west, and it rather clear that a lot of it went straight into asset markets.

I don't want to see the economy crash and people put out of work, but for those who do wish to see the economy take a hit, I can understand the position. There are people up and down the country who would kill to see a 2008-esque crash in the housing market because if it doesn't happen, they know that they will never own a home. If there is no "correction" in the economy, then things will continue as they are, and life will be come increasingly unaffordable for more and more people.

Again, I'm not one to wish for a crash, but I can see where they're coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

If liquidity in the markets starts to dry up which is looking like a real possibility, there will be more 'emergency' QE. This will cause asset prices to rise and hence create even greater divides between the have and have-nots. The economies now are actually a fraud really they are fake and are solely reliant on central bank money. Gone are the days of good old capitalism where profits funded expansion, now its low interest debt that fuels the economies GDP. If they do not reset the global economy by causing asset prices to fall, then come 10 years time we will have populist movements like the NAZI movement after the Weimar republic destruction all around the EU. The US nearly already there with the political and social divisions they have at the minute.

Scary times but I do believe if the CBs resort to the same old low rates and QE to get us out of the next mess caused by having to fight inflation, then history shows that huge problems and unrest will follow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement