Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continental cattle from suckler herd

• 07-11-2022 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what kill out percentage should Chx and limousines cattle achieve from suckler cows, these would be getting 5kgs of nuts 7 weeks on the grass before they are sold

also what should there daily live weight gain be from now till next September, on good silage and 2kgs of ration for the winter about 140 days and then grass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭morphy87

I thought they might do close to.9 a day, so do you reckon good limousines out of British fresian cows would do just as well as suckler bred ones?

In your opinion what is the better of the two to weigh and grade, chx or lm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Plenty of average Charolais around too no more than any cattle.

good quality limousine will hold their own with any. Attaching a few returns from this year and all limousine and I’d be more than happy with the grades and weight here

very impressive returns, did you breed these cattle yourself or purchase them? What live weight were these cattle do you think? If you bought them when did you buy them and at what weights?

• Advertisement

All home bred from limo cows and limo bull. They’d be in around average 800kgs live weight (no scales so weighing by hand!!)

So what weight were they this time last year going into the shed? What was there killout percent do you think?

Decent limo or Charlaois would be over 400 kg dead weight at 27 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

It’s impossible to predict how bullocks will perform over the course of a year. Going on stores bought last October/November and killed this October I’ll give a few examples.

550kg ch killed 525kg

535kg black limo killed 450kg

540kg gold ch killed 485kg (in august)

530kg white ch killed 475kg (in august)

475kg o+ grade Simmental killed 430kg

500kg ch killed 465kg

485 kg red limo killed 410kg

Find the limos die lighter here unless they are real good ones.

500-550 going in to shed.

killout would be 57-60% would be my guess.

• Advertisement

Do you feed yours meal over the winter and on the grass?

if you were buying ones 450 kgs now what weights would you be exspecting next September?

No meal over the winter. They had a short winter for this part of the country. Housed in the beginning of December and were out just after paddy’s day. They were on good silage and minerals and weighed on average 60-70kg heavier getting out than their purchase weight (mart weight).

Last October and November was dry and those cattle done well before they were housed.

Id be expecting a good r+ 450kg store to kill out close to 400kg dead at most next September. I do try to buy them a bit heavier than that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Robson99

IMO an average Charlaois is better than a good Limo. Limo might grade a bit better but Charlaois will put on weight quicker and carry more weight. A lot of Limo are light on bone and dont thrive as well as a Charlaois

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Robson99

Some great weights in fairness. Id say they had great lenght and bone

I see you got the 20cent quality assurance in a roundabout way for the ones 30 months....

They were good cattle in fairness and on very good grazing ground all in paddocks.

one lad was only 2 days overage and they were supposed to go the week before when he would have been underage but didn’t and agent stood over him and I only noticed the second lad gone overage the day before they were going and chanced it with the agent and he also agreed to stand over him.

about 10 years ago I borrowed Charolais bull off neighbour. He was a quality bull and I’d great stock off him. Was expecting to break all my records at factory time but I was hugely disappointed with both killouts and grades.

obviously I’m not saying Charolais are bad cattle but I would rate good limos on a par. A couple of other things to consider is the vigor of the limo calves when born compared to Charolais coupled with generally easier calving so therefore a much better option for those like myself working off farm.

the other significant advantage is being able to breed my own replacements from the limo (Charolais don’t make good replacements). A neighbour of mine with a Charolais bull would be buying 4 or 5 replacement springers every year and always seems to get the world of hardship wirh them. From hard calvings to one’s that have no milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d have it the other way around, regularly get limo heifers to kill out at 58-60% dead weight at 26-28 months old. It’s only a very rare Charlaois that’ll do it.

I don’t have cows, all bought in as weanlings so maybe lads are keeping the good Charlaois for themselves and the limo men are more generous with the quality they’re selling but give me the limo any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

Charolais are great when you’re not the one responsible for getting them out of cows.

What would limousines be like from angus cows,very good shapy ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Who2

I breed both lim and ch here. I mainly put ch onto lm cows or lm with a touch of si. It gives the best all round calf. The Lms on their own are too light of the bone and it’s very hard to get the power into them to feed into big weights and they don’t have the same growth rates.

The ch on ch for me doesn’t really work either but both breeds compliment each other well.

the charolais aren’t all hard calved either but you do concentrate on cow type a bit more when running a ch bull.

I had a pen of u grade bullocks last winter. 3 Charolais and 3 limousine. All were heading for 3 year old. They were on 10ish kg’s of meal for 70ish days. The limos done not much more than a kg a day. The Charolais closer to 2.

I would have said at the start that the limos were the better bullocks. I like the Charolais with the big thick legs, sure sign that they’ll carry weight. I find you rarely get that with limos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

That's spot on.

Thing with the charolais is that the bottom 15% of charolais are way better than the bottom 15% of any other breed.

Every bull will throw some good calves but to bring up the bottom a charolais is the only job.

If I was to purchase chx cattle 530 kgs u grade, and I will have them in till around the 10th of April and gave them 2kgs of ration and good silage till then and gave them a good do on some reseeded ground and 4 kgs of ration for 7 weeks prior to sale, I would be hoping to sell around the 10th of September, what type of weights would you be hoping for theses cattle to kill out? I haven’t much experience of these cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Lot of lads buy on colour of cattle, a mistake.

Good LM's will be every bit as good as good CH cattle.

Unfortunately the LM are behind on price when selling at marts, again because some lads will only buy white or blond cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Kept one heifer this year out of a decent but average AA cow and a master LM bull.

She brought the angus head and belly with a Limo back end and colour.

I have'nt many AA cows so don't really know if the above would be standard, grand heifer and she'll make a grand cow, she is'nt outstanding to look at her though, not in comparison to the LM bred stock anyway.

I bought a few Bullocks this year, limousines out of angus, good shapey ones but the man that had them before me gave them a poor do but they are thriving well now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lot of people don’t give the aul lads credit. They buy the ch cos they do the best. Yellow ch unbeaten. Not as hard as white ch and bit of shape from limousine cow

I’d expect Good u grade Charolais like that to kill out round 450kg next September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

If you can get the nice gold Charolais from a Saler cow, then you are on a winner, wonderful animal , nice shape, size with mussel and a good hairy coat so neither the wind or rain bothers them.

Yeah they are out of control at the minute with lower numbers in the marts and with beef price climbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

What do you think is a fair price for the farmer who produces a 530 kg U grade Charolais bullock?

Advertisement