Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,766 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Really surprised to learn that Vanguard own more Apple shares than Berkshire. Vanguard own 1.27B shares while Berkshire have 0.89B shares.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

For me time is a key component to investing, I buy in traches of €2.5k, buy individual shares and try to diversify in terms of currency and the type of company. The only exception was with Apple a few years back where I bought more. I do not plan to sell anything within a 15-20 year timeframe unless one share constitutes a large % of my holding.

Few reasons for this would be 33% v 41% exit rate, any fund charges and a deluded self belief that I can make reasonable decisions and over time you have a better chance of a return.

Over 10+ years I would expect that a few would be complete right offs but would hope a couple have substantial returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Holding 3 London insurance company Beazley (largest company and all time high) bought in the low 3 GBPs. Hiscox and Lancashire performing well with recent gains.

Saint James Place wealth management company buying at low 10s/11s financially back in the green. Will be holding these shares for another few years.

Thoughts on Shell and BP? Reached the top yet and time to sell out??

Some rally in US stocks today. Up around 5%.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Mighty. Actually took a little bit of profit on some purchases I made just yesterday. You just can't be sure how long rallies last these days 🤷‍♂️

Post edited by littlevillage on

Days like this remind us again that it’s best to stay invested

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Probably the biggest daily jump ive ever had, when i logged in i thought it was a glitch!

Whole portfolio up over 7%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,408 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Some day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Crazy day and futures up this morning, I don't know what to make of it. I'm in the camp that core inflation is still not decreasing therefore interest rates need to still go higher which will affect asset prices negatively and when all the dust settles rates will be lowered and QE will continue and the whole circus starts again.

I hope this rise last another week or so as I have to offload a lot of shares that I have in my SAYE scheme. The thoughts of the CGT is absolutely sickening, if the market wasn't so volatile I'd probably sell in dribs and drabs over a few years in order to fly under the radar for CGT.

The Tesla bubble is well and truly busted.

The stock is way over-priced imo and has been for a long time. Admittingly not as bad as last year. The clever ones got out then.

Add to that the big motor players will catch up and produce better built electrics before long.

It will no doubt be volitile as Musk can sway it with a tweet or two, providing Twitter doesn't go bankrupt....

Tesla shareholders must be grimacing watching that mess.

Tesla's Cash Flow last quarter was $3.3B with a ROI of 31,45%. Sales grew 55% in 12 months. It is starting to generate positive cash flows now.

Say at 15 times annual cash flow, that would value it at about $200B. It's market cap currently at 600B or 45 times cash flow. Still overvalued but the question is, how much further will it grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

My PYPL shares were making me nervous when the sp dipped to $65 AH last week after earnings... Glad they've rebounded.

If only my RKLB shares could come back from the dead before I'm old and grey! SMH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Not really. If you invest in equities then you can't really lose imo, provided you stay in the market. Even if things go tits up, you can carry your losses forward indefinitely and use them against any future gains. You can't carry forward your losses from ETFs, they're less tax efficient and you will likely be paying annual fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 JimmyKane

I'm thinking of increasing my position in Tesla...am I better off buying in euro or US dollar?

I have an Interactive Brokers account and I can buy in USD from the Nasdaq and it would cost me €2 in fees (€1 exchange fee to convert any amount from euro to USD, and €1 to make a purchase).

Alternatively, I could buy TL0 which as far as I can see is buying Tesla in euros from TGD. This obviously means no exchange fees but the flat fee to purchase is €3.

So buying in USD seems cheaper, but is there anything else to consider? Strength of dollar v euro currently etc? Fees when selling etc?

The above transaction costs are negligible/irrelevant to currency risk. I also suspect you are underestimating the actual transaction costs.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Any thoughts here on Disney?

Boat missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Long term holder, but I'm 10-15% underwater at the moment. Hope Bob Iger can put a fire under the Share Price.

Tesla is denominated in dollars, it’s primary listing is on the New York exchange, this is not a decision, buy in dollars

No , stock has gone nowhere in seven years, will revisit lows at the very least, it’s not a cheap stock yet has disappointed recently

NIO flying today

+ 22%

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Feel sick as I locked in losses of a certain chinese stock of over 10k when Xi was re-elected and everything tanked. Had been DCA'ing in for years and panic sold as fearful of the taiwan situation.

It's boomed about 40% since and I've missed gains of probably 4k back.

My portfolio is down 18% overall and the currency is doing me in despite my stocks going up.

I'll have to look at deep red for probably 5+ years just to get back at break even.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Never built up such a big position in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭littlevillage

The Share Picks thread is sadly lacking in ahem! share picks recently 😔

Soo, here goes, anybody looking at taking a punt on Activision-Blizzard (ATVI). Can be picked up around $75 now...(they were $65 pre deal announcement in Jan 2022)... if the deal with Microsoft closes it will be $95 per share, even if it doesn't happen, ATVI will be in line for a few Billion in termination fee's.

Obviously DYOR ....and usual caviats apply, the main one as I see it is that gaming stocks got hammered since Jan 2022... soo there is a likelihood that had the deal never been announced, the ATVI share price might be a lot lower than $65 today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'll have a look. What do you think of CD Project Red long-term? I've been eyeing them up for a while, despite their Cyberpunk problems it made tonnes of money, they have a next gen Witcher 3 upgrade that launches for free on the 14th that might shift a few units. But more importantly they have several Witcher and Cyberpunk properties in development. Earnings soon, tempted to wait until after that. Any thoughts welcome.

Advertisement