Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goodbye Aston Villa

• 10-11-2022 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭

So I know the stick I'm gonna get but enough is enough.

I've supported Villa for 30 years. For what? Two coca cola trophies in 26 years. That's it - all the money spent on flights, tickets, jerseys and for what. 1/4 of a century funding underachievement and making millionaires of absolute spoofers.

No doubt I'll get stick for "turning my back" on a team of under achieving wasters that have cost me nothing but stress and disappointment for years.

F8ck them, I'm done.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fair enough if it's making you unhappy but why would getting knocked out of the EFL Cup be the final straw? Villa were relegated a few years ago, so they've been in worse situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Hang in there.

Beat Brighton Sunday, let Emery have a few weeks with the players to work on tactics/shape, then bring in a couple and offload a handful in January and suddenly things look a lot more exciting for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I was up at OLd Trafford tonight but always live by the mantra that for the most part that following your team is a great day out ruined by 90 minutes of football.

The thing is relegation wasn’t the Armageddon us Villa fans thought it would be, the Championship is a great league and playing teams who could only dream about our success puts things in perspective and removes any sense of entitlement. We had some great games went on a 10 game unbeaten run, a 5-5 draw with Forest, coming back in the dying seconds to draw with Sheffield Utd and winning the playoff final.

To put it in perspective Everton’s last trophy was 1995 & Spurs last won a trophy in 2008 I appreciate most of our trophies were a long time ago but we are 7th in the league of major trophies won.

I don’t think we could have got a better manager than Emery so hopefully we are on an upward trajectory

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Who are you transferring to? Man City?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I feel out of love with the team at the end of the Martin O Neil era, up until the got relegated to the championship.

I think it was a blessing that the relegation happened - think we are a better club (not a prefect club) for it

Can understand anyone being feed up with a team, but hopefully its just temporary

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Goodbye Aston Villa makes a change from Good ebening Aston Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

So Martin O'Neil, Gerard Houllier, Remi Garde, Alex McLeish, Steve Bruce and Steve Gerrard were fine but losing to Utd in the league Cup after beating them in the league last week in his first week in charge is too much

⁸?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Seriously ?? - can you imagine if Crystal Palace or even Brighton were you team - no trophies ever - not to mention teams in lower leagues , your team is your team. Villa actually seam in a decent position to many with a good manager, but if you want guaranteed success support City , and then Newcastle in a few more years or whoever is top of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Username says it all, he'll be back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I understand the sentiment :( but why after that particular match?

You may as well give up on football, it's mostly disappointment except for a select few.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I suspect there's a very hungover man fishing his claret and blue scarf out of the bin today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I've seen this happen before.

It's very often age related and can be tied into other priorities in your life taking over.

A friend of mine was Coventry City through and through, a season ticket holder, and his highlight was an FA Cup win in 1987. he let the season ticket go first, and then the club. He had kids and was looking at the time, effort and despair involved in supporting a club, and committing to it. The long away hauls on a Wednesday night or being stuck in motorway traffic on a Saturday evening, neither experience improved by a defeat!

I can also see more of this happening as the Man City and Newcastle funded clubs lessen the chances of your club being successful. Slightly, but not totally, off-topic, but if you remove Liverpool from the last 5 years tables then Man City are 100 points better than the 2nd place team - that's 20 points per season. Considering that, would have you give up on a title challenge straight away. It's worse in the lower divisions, where your chances of getting up to the "hallowed land" are affected by yo-yo clubs like Norwich, Watford and WBA, buoyed by their parachute payments (shocking analogy, I know!).

Eventually your spirit can just go, and you just have to decide "enough is enough". I know it was tough for my buddy as he is Coventry born and bred, but over his 40 years of fandom, he had one day in the sun. He didn't even get to pass the love onto his son, as they were living in Birmingham when he was born and after starting school there, he became a Blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Isn't that what supporting a club isd all about. Through the highs and the lows. Okay you have more lows than highs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Imagine supporting Sunderland and your nearest rivals are now the richest club in the world.

sometimes its not about winning trophies, my most memorable experience supporting Ireland (like most) was '87 to '94, we didn't win trophies but what an expierince - similar to what made Leicester winning the league so much more special , they never won it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I think to enjoy football it can’t be about winning trophies as that feat is only achieved by a minority of teams. Even more so as the days when the likes of Watford, Ipswich and QPR could even finish 2nd are long gone.

Post edited by pavb2 on

Yet Leicester have won the league and FA Cup in recent years, football is not as predictable as other sports , like what happened at Man City today shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Wrong thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement